Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Inheriting Ownership & Permissions

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 9:06:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

whilst I have no problem setting ownership/permissions for specific folder -
i've never been able to get child folders to inherit them (i have to do them
one by one)

Is this a know bug in XP, or does it actually work?
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 9:06:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

JethroUK© wrote:
> whilst I have no problem setting ownership/permissions for specific folder -
> i've never been able to get child folders to inherit them (i have to do them
> one by one)
>
> Is this a know bug in XP, or does it actually work?
>
>


In Windows Explorer, right-click on the desired folder > Properties >
Security > Advanced > "Replace permissions on all child objects with
entries shown here...."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 9:20:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
news:eV1L5kyfFHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> JethroUK© wrote:
> > whilst I have no problem setting ownership/permissions for specific
folder -
> > i've never been able to get child folders to inherit them (i have to do
them
> > one by one)
> >
> > Is this a know bug in XP, or does it actually work?
> >
> >
>
>
> In Windows Explorer, right-click on the desired folder > Properties >
> Security > Advanced > "Replace permissions on all child objects with
> entries shown here...."
>

that's what i mean - it never works - is it a known bug?
Related resources
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 9:20:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

JethroUK© wrote:
> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
> news:eV1L5kyfFHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>
>>JethroUK© wrote:
>>
>>>whilst I have no problem setting ownership/permissions for specific
>
> folder -
>
>>>i've never been able to get child folders to inherit them (i have to do
>
> them
>
>>>one by one)
>>>
>>>Is this a know bug in XP, or does it actually work?
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>In Windows Explorer, right-click on the desired folder > Properties >
>>Security > Advanced > "Replace permissions on all child objects with
>>entries shown here...."
>>
>
>
> that's what i mean - it never works - is it a known bug?
>
>


Not that I know of, I've never seen it fail, unless the user lacks the
necessary permissions to make the changes.


--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 10:15:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
news:o $3K0zyfFHA.3348@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> JethroUK© wrote:
> > "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
> > news:eV1L5kyfFHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> >
> >>JethroUK© wrote:
> >>
> >>>whilst I have no problem setting ownership/permissions for specific
> >
> > folder -
> >
> >>>i've never been able to get child folders to inherit them (i have to do
> >
> > them
> >
> >>>one by one)
> >>>
> >>>Is this a know bug in XP, or does it actually work?
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> >>In Windows Explorer, right-click on the desired folder > Properties >
> >>Security > Advanced > "Replace permissions on all child objects with
> >>entries shown here...."
> >>
> >
> >
> > that's what i mean - it never works - is it a known bug?
> >
> >
>
>
> Not that I know of, I've never seen it fail, unless the user lacks the
> necessary permissions to make the changes.
>

i must be doing something wrong then

i first make sure i have all permissions by taking ownership of parent
folder and cascade ownership down to all child folders ( as administrator) -
or so it appears
i then set parent not to inherit
i then include all users & privileges to parent
then use these to replace all permissions on all child objects

whilst it seems to work with most folders - some just seem to ignore it
completely & when i check permissions they are greyed out and sometimes even
the wrong owner

i think it's a problem with cascading ownership down rather than permissions
themselves - i have to set these folders individually ?
!