Inheriting Ownership & Permissions

whilst I have no problem setting ownership/permissions for specific folder -
i've never been able to get child folders to inherit them (i have to do them
one by one)

Is this a know bug in XP, or does it actually work?
4 answers Last reply
More about inheriting ownership permissions

    JethroUK© wrote:
    > whilst I have no problem setting ownership/permissions for specific folder -
    > i've never been able to get child folders to inherit them (i have to do them
    > one by one)
    >
    > Is this a know bug in XP, or does it actually work?

    In Windows Explorer, right-click on the desired folder > Properties >
    Security > Advanced > "Replace permissions on all child objects with
    entries shown here...."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    > JethroUK© wrote:
    > > whilst I have no problem setting ownership/permissions for specific
    folder -
    > > i've never been able to get child folders to inherit them (i have to do
    them
    > > one by one)
    > >
    > > Is this a know bug in XP, or does it actually work?
    > >

    > In Windows Explorer, right-click on the desired folder > Properties >
    > Security > Advanced > "Replace permissions on all child objects with
    > entries shown here...."

    that's what i mean - it never works - is it a known bug?

    JethroUK© wrote:
    > "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
    >
    >>JethroUK© wrote:
    >>
    >>>whilst I have no problem setting ownership/permissions for specific
    >
    > folder -
    >
    >>>i've never been able to get child folders to inherit them (i have to do
    >
    > them
    >
    >>>one by one)
    >>>
    >>>Is this a know bug in XP, or does it actually work?
    >>>

    >>In Windows Explorer, right-click on the desired folder > Properties >
    >>Security > Advanced > "Replace permissions on all child objects with
    >>entries shown here...."
    >>

    > that's what i mean - it never works - is it a known bug?

    Not that I know of, I've never seen it fail, unless the user lacks the
    necessary permissions to make the changes.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    > JethroUK© wrote:
    > > "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message

    > > folder -

    > > them

    > >>In Windows Explorer, right-click on the desired folder > Properties >
    > >>Security > Advanced > "Replace permissions on all child objects with
    > >>entries shown here...."
    > >>

    > > that's what i mean - it never works - is it a known bug?
    > >

    > Not that I know of, I've never seen it fail, unless the user lacks the
    > necessary permissions to make the changes.

    i must be doing something wrong then

    i first make sure i have all permissions by taking ownership of parent
    folder and cascade ownership down to all child folders ( as administrator) -
    or so it appears
    i then set parent not to inherit
    i then include all users & privileges to parent
    then use these to replace all permissions on all child objects

    whilst it seems to work with most folders - some just seem to ignore it
    completely & when i check permissions they are greyed out and sometimes even
    the wrong owner

    i think it's a problem with cascading ownership down rather than permissions
    themselves - i have to set these folders individually ?

Permissions Microsoft Windows XP