HERO: Softball

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

This has been a running joke/semi-serious idea in my group for a while --
the players' superhero team would take on a rival team in a softball game
(for charity or something). But how to handle it in rule mechanics?

I had some ideas for the basics: pitcher throws using his OCV, batter hits
as a "block" manoeuvre matching his OCV against the pitcher's. If he misses,
it's a strike (unless the pitcher also misses, in which case it's a foul
ball). Then he rolls damage to determine the distance of the hit, using a
formula based on body... now I start to get stuck...

what formula for distance?
how to determine direction?
how long is the ball in the air (so a fielder can run/fly to catch it)?

Running round the bases shouldn't be a problem, that's just a matter of
covering the ground before a fielder gets a phase to throw... obviously high
SPD characters are going to do well under these rules, but that's fine...

Has anybody ever come up with a full set of rules to handle this Heroes? If
not, anybody got any input into the above ideas?

--
David Meadows
"We're like a poorly-oiled machine teetering on the brink

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:19:13 +0100, "David Meadows"
<david@no.spam.here.uk> wrote:

>This has been a running joke/semi-serious idea in my group for a while --
>the players' superhero team would take on a rival team in a softball game
>(for charity or something). But how to handle it in rule mechanics?
>
>I had some ideas for the basics: pitcher throws using his OCV, batter hits
>as a "block" manoeuvre matching his OCV against the pitcher's. If he misses,
>it's a strike (unless the pitcher also misses, in which case it's a foul
>ball).

In a contested OCV roll, how is it possible for both characters to
miss? A foul ball would probably be a tie.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

David Meadows <david@no.spam.here.uk> wrote:
>This has been a running joke/semi-serious idea in my group for a while --
>the players' superhero team would take on a rival team in a softball game
>(for charity or something). But how to handle it in rule mechanics?

>I had some ideas for the basics: pitcher throws using his OCV, batter hits
>as a "block" manoeuvre matching his OCV against the pitcher's. If he misses,
>it's a strike (unless the pitcher also misses, in which case it's a foul
>ball).

If the pitcher misses, doesn't that mean the pitch is a ball,
as in outside the strike zone? And if you're modelling that
via a miss based on the Pitcher's OCV, and the Batter's OCV
is compared to the Pitcher's OCV to determine a hit, doesn't
that mean that pitches outside the strike zone would be a
whole lot easier to hit than pitches in the strike zone?

Pete

"David Johnston" <rgormannospam@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:19:13 +0100, "David Meadows"
> <david@no.spam.here.uk> wrote:
>
> >This has been a running joke/semi-serious idea in my group for a while --
> >the players' superhero team would take on a rival team in a softball game
> >(for charity or something). But how to handle it in rule mechanics?
> >
> >I had some ideas for the basics: pitcher throws using his OCV, batter
hits
> >as a "block" manoeuvre matching his OCV against the pitcher's. If he
misses,
> >it's a strike (unless the pitcher also misses, in which case it's a foul
> >ball).
>
> In a contested OCV roll, how is it possible for both characters to
> miss? A foul ball would probably be a tie.

A block in Hero isn't exactly an opposed roll. The attacker's OCV simply
modifies the defender's block chance. The defender and the attacker both
roll, independently, and each roll can succeed or fail. (For the attack to
hit, the attacker must succeed and the blocker fail. Any other combination
is a miss.)

--
David Meadows
"We're like a poorly-oiled machine teetering on the brink
of a breakdown." -- Fred, Heroes #19
Heroes: a comic book www.heroes.force9.co.uk/scripts

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 18:32:52 +0100, "David Meadows"
<david@no.spam.here.uk> wrote:

>"David Johnston" <rgormannospam@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:19:13 +0100, "David Meadows"
>> <david@no.spam.here.uk> wrote:
>>
>> >This has been a running joke/semi-serious idea in my group for a while --
>> >the players' superhero team would take on a rival team in a softball game
>> >(for charity or something). But how to handle it in rule mechanics?
>> >
>> >I had some ideas for the basics: pitcher throws using his OCV, batter
>hits
>> >as a "block" manoeuvre matching his OCV against the pitcher's. If he
>misses,
>> >it's a strike (unless the pitcher also misses, in which case it's a foul
>> >ball).
>>
>> In a contested OCV roll, how is it possible for both characters to
>> miss? A foul ball would probably be a tie.
>
>A block in Hero isn't exactly an opposed roll. The attacker's OCV simply
>modifies the defender's block chance. The defender and the attacker both
>roll, independently, and each roll can succeed or fail. (For the attack to
>hit, the attacker must succeed and the blocker fail. Any other combination
>is a miss.)

But if the attacker misses that isn't a foul ball. That's a failure
to get within the strike zone.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

As an aside... perhaps a really talented batsman would have Missile
Deflection and Reflection, so he could hit it with a block, and make
it go where he wanted?

I used to have a hero based on that concept... "Slugger" An Ex-Major
League Baseball batsman.

Worth a thought.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!/Ha:Ha:Ha)

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

>> If he misses,
>>it's a strike (unless the pitcher also misses, in which case it's a foul
>>ball).
>
>If the pitcher misses, doesn't that mean the pitch is a ball,
>as in outside the strike zone?

I was never any good at softball, but if watching the College World Series
counts toward this ...

If the batter actually has a skill in softball or baseball, he can roll it to
see if the pitch is worth swinging at. Otherwise he's got to guess. :) Making
the roll means he gets to see how the pitcher rolls before he rolls to bat (or
decides not to roll, if the pitcher got a 17).

If the pitcher misses, the ball is going outside the strike zone. If the
batter chose not to swing it's a ball, if he swung it's a strike and probably
some teasing from the other team. If the pitcher "hits", the ball is in the
strike zone. If the batter chose not to swing it's a strike and more teasing,
if the batter chose to swing his Block roll is now applied to the pitcher's
roll to see what happened. Ties go foul.

(It would probably be best to have the pitcher and batter roll at the same
time, unless the batter is skilled.)

Personally, I would determine how far the ball flies based on how good a job
the batter did on the Block instead of rolling damage. It's one less step to
go through :) .

Leah

David Meadows wrote:
> This has been a running joke/semi-serious idea in my group for a while --
> the players' superhero team would take on a rival team in a softball game
> (for charity or something). But how to handle it in rule mechanics?
>
> I had some ideas for the basics: pitcher throws using his OCV, batter hits
> as a "block" manoeuvre matching his OCV against the pitcher's. If he misses,
> it's a strike (unless the pitcher also misses, in which case it's a foul
> ball). Then he rolls damage to determine the distance of the hit, using a
> formula based on body... now I start to get stuck...
>
> what formula for distance?
> how to determine direction?
> how long is the ball in the air (so a fielder can run/fly to catch it)?
>
> Running round the bases shouldn't be a problem, that's just a matter of
> covering the ground before a fielder gets a phase to throw... obviously high
> SPD characters are going to do well under these rules, but that's fine...
>
> Has anybody ever come up with a full set of rules to handle this Heroes? If
> not, anybody got any input into the above ideas?

I think working out rules for baseball is fine, but not when you've got
supers playing it. Even ignoring the fact that most bricks are going to
be able to destroy the ball - and probably the bat - you have too many
other problems. How do you intercept a speeder who can run multiple
laps around the diamond before the ball has moved an inch? How do you
stop a TK from moving the ball? If you 'touch' someone who is desolid,
does it count?

Imagine the X-Men playing Softball. Jean Grey steps up to the plate,
Wolverine pitches a mean fastball straight down the middle of the strike
zone... and we watch as the ball comes to a halt in front of her, she
takes a cursory swing and launches the ball into orbit.

Super powered characters are just going to make a mockery of a game like
Softball. Same goes for most things... most super powers just don't fit
conventional games.

I think it's better to have Supers engage in games that fit their
talents. Anne McCaffrey used a variant of Dodge-Ball for the kids in
her Talents of Earth series, and that made some sense. The same kids
(mostly powerful telekinetics) would just walk all over normals or
non-TKs in a game like Softball if they were allowed full use of their
powers. Put them in competition, but in a game where their powers won't
guarantee them a win.

--
Corey Murtagh
The Electric Monk

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:21:31 +1200, EMonk <emonk@slingshot.no.uce>
wrote:

>I think working out rules for baseball is fine, but not when you've got
>supers playing it. Even ignoring the fact that most bricks are going to
>be able to destroy the ball - and probably the bat - you have too many
>other problems.

Well, that's a strike.

How do you intercept a speeder who can run multiple
>laps around the diamond before the ball has moved an inch?

I believe you just catch the ball.

How do you
>stop a TK from moving the ball? If you 'touch' someone who is desolid,
>does it count?
>
>Imagine the X-Men playing Softball.

Don't have to. I've seen it in the comic book.

"EMonk" <emonk@slingshot.no.uce> wrote in message

> Super powered characters are just going to make a mockery of a game like
> Softball. Same goes for most things... most super powers just don't fit
> conventional games.

That's kind of like saying super powers make a mockery of any fight...
because the speedster can punch everybody, the brick can destroy the
building they're in, the intangible character is unstoppable...

Part of the "fun" is seeing how super powers alter the game.

--
David Meadows
"We're like a poorly-oiled machine teetering on the brink
of a breakdown." -- Fred, Heroes #19
Heroes: a comic book www.heroes.force9.co.uk/scripts

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

David Johnston <rgormannospam@telusplanet.net> wrote:
>On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:21:31 +1200, EMonk <emonk@slingshot.no.uce>
>wrote:

>How do you intercept a speeder who can run multiple
>>laps around the diamond before the ball has moved an inch?

>I believe you just catch the ball.

Except a speedster would most likely bunt, meaning a fielder
has to get to the ball and tag him before he can get around
the bases to home plate. The solution there would seem to
be to make sure either both teams have a speedster, or neither
of them do. Except there you'd have the speedsters tagging
absolutely everyone out before they can reach first base.

So no speedsters. It's an easy enough rule for an abstract
discussion of superheroes playing baseball. Specific teams
and characters might get miffed, of course.

>> If you 'touch' someone who is desolid,
>>does it count?

Absolutely. It doesn't take much stretching of the rules to say
that as long as the fielder passes the ball through the space
occupied by the runner's body, it's an out.

And speaking of stretching, that's another power that could
get out of hand. One stretching shortstop could cover the
entire infield. And possibly the outfield as well.

>>Imagine the X-Men playing Softball.

>Don't have to. I've seen it in the comic book.

That was a good one, though I don't recall details. The
Avengers played the West Coast Avengers once, too, but
that got interrupted by the Gamesmaster vs. Death
competition.

There's an old issue of Strange Sports Stories which has
the Justice League playing baseball againsty a whole lot
of supervillains. Lots of fun cheats using powers in
that one.

Pete

David Meadows wrote:
> "EMonk" <emonk@slingshot.no.uce> wrote in message
>
>>Super powered characters are just going to make a mockery of a game like
>>Softball. Same goes for most things... most super powers just don't fit
>>conventional games.
>
> That's kind of like saying super powers make a mockery of any fight...
> because the speedster can punch everybody, the brick can destroy the
> building they're in, the intangible character is unstoppable...

If you put them up against norms, then sure. A norm with nothing but
the abilities he was born with won't stand a chance against 99%+ of the
supers out there. That's the point of /having/ super powers after all.

> Part of the "fun" is seeing how super powers alter the game.

Speedster: Either rounds bases so fast no one can catch him, or
intercepts the ball millimeters from the bat and tags every single
batter out.

TK: Manipulates the ball for perfect strike-outs, ridiculously long
hits, and of course will tag out anyone that actually tries to make it
to base by the simple expedient of putting the ball where it needs to be.

Teleport: As speedster, except not quite as quick on the uptake.
Instant teleports to base pretty much guarantees a safe call, not to
mention stealing base is instant.

The other types - bricks, shooters, etc - are unlikely to have major
effect on the game. Ok, maybe a TP will get some prior information on
what sort of pitch to expect by reading the pitcher's mind, but a
speedster, TK or Teleport will make sure they never get to first base.

It just seems like a waste of effort trying to work out rules for this
sort of stuff. Time would be better spent trying to figure a game that
would work with supers. Softball - or baseball, or basketball, or
football, or... you get the picture - just ain't gonna be that game.

--

"Corey Murtagh" <emonk@slingshot.no.uce> wrote in message
> David Meadows wrote:
> > "EMonk" <emonk@slingshot.no.uce> wrote in message
> >
> Speedster: Either rounds bases so fast no one can catch him, or
> intercepts the ball millimeters from the bat and tags every single
> batter out.
>
> TK: Manipulates the ball for perfect strike-outs, ridiculously long
> hits, and of course will tag out anyone that actually tries to make it
> to base by the simple expedient of putting the ball where it needs to be.

So, the speedster isn't going to get round the bases if a fielder has TK,
then. Or is he...?

That's the *point*. Sure powers will affect the game but they *all* have
powers. I really don't understand why people have a problem with the
concept.

Maybe I should ask about softball on a non-supers newsgroup and pretend it's
for a campaign with normal humans.

--

David Meadows wrote:
> "Corey Murtagh" <emonk@slingshot.no.uce> wrote in message
>
>>David Meadows wrote:
>>
>>>"EMonk" <emonk@slingshot.no.uce> wrote in message
>>>

>>Speedster: Either rounds bases so fast no one can catch him, or
>>intercepts the ball millimeters from the bat and tags every single
>>batter out.
>>
>>TK: Manipulates the ball for perfect strike-outs, ridiculously long
>>hits, and of course will tag out anyone that actually tries to make it
>>to base by the simple expedient of putting the ball where it needs to be.
>

> So, the speedster isn't going to get round the bases if a fielder has TK,
> then. Or is he...?
>
> That's the *point*. Sure powers will affect the game but they *all* have
> powers. I really don't understand why people have a problem with the
> concept.
>
> Maybe I should ask about softball on a non-supers newsgroup and pretend it's
> for a campaign with normal humans.

I remember an almost identical discussion on this newsgroup about ten
years ago, except then it was football.
One person kept arguing that if you were going to restrict power use
(e.g. teleportation or flight over a certain height were counted as
out-of-bounds) you might as well just play the game with Hero rules and
normal human players.
He didn't get the power interaction element either.

--
Michael Sears armitage@mhcable.com
"No turning back where the end is in sight.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:04:54 +0100, "David Meadows"
<david@no.spam.here.uk> wrote:

>"Corey Murtagh" <emonk@slingshot.no.uce> wrote in message
>> David Meadows wrote:
>> > "EMonk" <emonk@slingshot.no.uce> wrote in message
>> >
>> Speedster: Either rounds bases so fast no one can catch him, or
>> intercepts the ball millimeters from the bat and tags every single
>> batter out.
>>
>> TK: Manipulates the ball for perfect strike-outs, ridiculously long
>> hits, and of course will tag out anyone that actually tries to make it
>> to base by the simple expedient of putting the ball where it needs to be.
>
>So, the speedster isn't going to get round the bases if a fielder has TK,
>then. Or is he...?
>
>That's the *point*. Sure powers will affect the game but they *all* have
>powers.

Of course the powers won't be equally useful for playing softball. On
the whole I prefer football for a serious superpowered game (See:
Operation Chaos). However, you will have to take the powers of
the characters in mind when setting the rules up for superpowered
softball. For example it might be against the rules for basemen to
go more than a certain distance away from their bases and for fields
to enter the diamond.

David Meadows wrote:

> "Corey Murtagh" <emonk@slingshot.no.uce> wrote in message
>
>>David Meadows wrote:
>>
>>>"EMonk" <emonk@slingshot.no.uce> wrote in message
>>>

>>Speedster: Either rounds bases so fast no one can catch him, or
>>intercepts the ball millimeters from the bat and tags every single
>>batter out.
>>
>>TK: Manipulates the ball for perfect strike-outs, ridiculously long
>>hits, and of course will tag out anyone that actually tries to make it
>>to base by the simple expedient of putting the ball where it needs to be.
>
> So, the speedster isn't going to get round the bases if a fielder has TK,
> then. Or is he...?

Speedsters win hands down of course, which is why I listed them first.
Unless they're a /slow/ speedster. TKs in general don't have the
investment in fast reflexes that a speedster has, so they'll have no
chance of keeping up with the play.

Same goes for teleports, although I listed those as an afterthought.
They generally don't have the reflexes, so they won't make it 'round the
bases very quick, but their base-to-base speed is potentially
instantaneous. How do you intercept that, short of having the ball
already at the base before they move, so they won't move because the
ball is at the base... see the problem?

> That's the *point*. Sure powers will affect the game but they *all* have
> powers. I really don't understand why people have a problem with the
> concept.

It's not 'people', it's me :)

> Maybe I should ask about softball on a non-supers newsgroup and pretend it's
> for a campaign with normal humans.

There are way too many possibilities for supers to screw up the game for
any set of rules to cover them all. Hell, the game rules don't even
cover all the ways that supers can mess up normal (for supers)
activities like fighting *shrug*

--
Corey Murtagh
The Electric Monk
"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur!"

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 08:46:33 +1200, Corey Murtagh
<emonk@slingshot.no.uce> wrote:

>David Meadows wrote:
>
>> "Corey Murtagh" <emonk@slingshot.no.uce> wrote in message

>>>Speedster: Either rounds bases so fast no one can catch him, or
>>>intercepts the ball millimeters from the bat and tags every single
>>>batter out.
>>>
>>>TK: Manipulates the ball for perfect strike-outs, ridiculously long
>>>hits, and of course will tag out anyone that actually tries to make it
>>>to base by the simple expedient of putting the ball where it needs to be.
>>
>> So, the speedster isn't going to get round the bases if a fielder has TK,
>> then. Or is he...?
>
>Speedsters win hands down of course, which is why I listed them first.
>Unless they're a /slow/ speedster.

As just about every RPG speedster is.

David Johnston wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 08:46:33 +1200, Corey Murtagh
> <emonk@slingshot.no.uce> wrote:
<snip>
>>Speedsters win hands down of course, which is why I listed them first.
>>Unless they're a /slow/ speedster.
>
> As just about every RPG speedster is.

If they can't handle maneuvering at Mach 1, they're not a /real/
speedster :)

--
Corey Murtagh
The Electric Monk
"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur!"

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 07:30:07 +1200, Corey Murtagh
<emonk@slingshot.no.uce> wrote:

>David Johnston wrote:
>> On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 08:46:33 +1200, Corey Murtagh
>> <emonk@slingshot.no.uce> wrote:
><snip>
>>>Speedsters win hands down of course, which is why I listed them first.
>>>Unless they're a /slow/ speedster.
>>
>> As just about every RPG speedster is.
>
>If they can't handle maneuvering at Mach 1, they're not a /real/
>speedster :)

You'll get umpire problems. If the umpire doesn't see you touch base,
you didn't.