When I try to open control panel, the "program not responding" message
appears. This happens sometimes on the first or second screen. Often, when
I cancel (not end the program), and try again to open control panel, it works
okay. Other times, it doesn't open at all. Any ideas? I had tried to
download the XP service pack, and it quit during install with the message
"Unable to read from or write to the database." Are these connected?

Go to start, run and type sfc /scannow. It will likely prompt you to insert
your Windows XP CD and should repair your control panel.