Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 crashes (BSOD's) after 'starting windows...' screen

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
September 1, 2012 7:30:33 PM

Hi All,

I have recently upgraded my motherboard and processor to a Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 and AMD FX-6200. Installation went all but swimmingly.

I then proceeded to update the BIOS. This is where my problems began. It not crashes after the 'Starting windows...' screen where the logo forms. I have had many steps in between, but that was more my error. I have flashed the bios back to the latest one (without using @BIOS which Gigabyte doesn't tell you messes up your machine) but am still having this issue.

These are the symptoms of from when my problem first started, and where its at now, despite whats gone on inbetween, please trust that my hardware (exclduing disk drive) is fully operational and BIOS/drivers are up to date.

I have managed to get the full BSOD:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A97E8, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

Please advise?

Thanks in advance for your help and time.
September 1, 2012 8:10:25 PM

After the upgrade of board and processor did you re-install Windows? If not then I would surmise this is the root of the problem. You will need to uninstall ALL drivers mainly chipset.

Try this:

Make sure you're set to AHCI in bios and boot into safe mode.

1. press window key + R and type in "regedit"
2. select the file path "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci"
3. Right Click and modify Start from 3 to 0
4. Close out registry editor and reboot.

September 1, 2012 8:16:24 PM

thanks RussK1, I did not, is there no way of recovery?

The issue is that the drive is showing in the BIOS but not in any Windows 7 loader, i.e the recovery application on the installation cd and the installation cd itself.

How can I get it to show again so that I can format and reinstall?

How do I uninstall all drivers? Such as chipset etc....

Thanks again.
Related resources
September 1, 2012 8:30:38 PM

I have also tried your suggestion, midway through loading the drivers it bsod's and restarts
September 1, 2012 9:04:42 PM

Enter safe mode with command prompt.

In command prompt type - chkdsk /f and hit enter and reboot.

If it doesn't work re-open command prompt in safe mode and type - sfc /scannow hit enter and reboot.
September 1, 2012 9:16:22 PM

I just re-read your previous post. So you didn't reinstall? Well, do you have a disk? If not then you first need to wipe drivers.

Download Driver Fusion HERE and check all that apply and clean.

CCleaner HERE as well. **Run after Driver Fusion.**

Obviously all of this needs to be done in safe mode with networking.
!