Booting from DVD-Rom

Hello. I have put in a bootable DVD with all the files from XP Home on
it and started the computer up. It says it is searching for a cd-rom to
boot from, and then I get a dos-prompt. What do I type in order for it
to load setup.exe, or whatever it needs to run first? What are the
commands that will initialize the installation.?

Tim

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
> randfan@rogers.com wrote:
> > Hello. I have put in a bootable DVD with all the files from XP Home
> > on it and started the computer up. It says it is searching for a
> > cd-rom to boot from, and then I get a dos-prompt. What do I type in
> > order for it to load setup.exe, or whatever it needs to run first?
> > What are the commands that will initialize the installation.?
> >
> > Tim
>
> And the reason you cannot simply boot from the XP Home disc is...?

I was looking for a way to make a personal backup of my XP disc.
Thanks for the suggestion, looks like I got it to work.

Tim

Hi,

Generally, running winnt.exe from the I386 folder will start the installer
from a dos mode. Normally, however, the CD itself is bootable. Is there a
reason you had to build your own?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

randfan@rogers.com wrote:
> Hello. I have put in a bootable DVD with all the files from XP Home
> on it and started the computer up. It says it is searching for a
> cd-rom to boot from, and then I get a dos-prompt. What do I type in
> order for it to load setup.exe, or whatever it needs to run first?
> What are the commands that will initialize the installation.?
>
> Tim

And the reason you cannot simply boot from the XP Home disc is...?

And the reason your a pitiful excuse for a human being is?

> randfan@rogers.com wrote:
>> Hello. I have put in a bootable DVD with all the files from XP Home
>> on it and started the computer up. It says it is searching for a
>> cd-rom to boot from, and then I get a dos-prompt. What do I type in
>> order for it to load setup.exe, or whatever it needs to run first?
>> What are the commands that will initialize the installation.?
>>
>> Tim
>
> And the reason you cannot simply boot from the XP Home disc is...?

If the original XP install CD is bootable, a disc to disc copy should result
in the hidden boot portion written to your target media. There is no need
to create your own boot section on the DVD media. You should, instead, use
CD target media. This is assuming the burning software can create a
bootable CD, and you understand the proper filesystem to use, and the need
to close the session when the disc to disc copy is completed.

I do not know how to use such as you are attempting, to be up front.
Imagine the 6 XP emergency boot diskettes may offer clue to that.