American Gods

Last response: in Video Games
September 4, 2004 9:50:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Is the title of a Neil Gaiman novel about which I've heard nothing but
bad things. However, it isn't a bad premise for how to create super
characters. So what do Americans (and other people of the modern era)
believe in, these days? What would
the spheres of new "gods" be?

Gadgetry
National Defense
Space Exploration
Guardian Angels
UFOs
Wilderness preservation
Organised Crime
Celebrities
The Stock Market

More about : american gods

Anonymous
September 5, 2004 10:14:40 PM

"David Johnston" <rgormannospam@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> Is the title of a Neil Gaiman novel about which I've heard nothing but
> bad things. However, it isn't a bad premise for how to create super
> characters. So what do Americans (and other people of the modern era)
> believe in, these days? What would
> the spheres of new "gods" be?
>
> Gadgetry
> National Defense
> Space Exploration
> Guardian Angels
> UFOs
> Wilderness preservation
> Organised Crime
> Celebrities
> The Stock Market

It think it could be much more easily summed up in three:

Wealth
Fame
Power

The three spheres have some overlap, of course, but between them they
encompass everything else that people worship.

--
David Meadows
"We're like a poorly-oiled machine teetering on the brink

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 18:14:40 +0100, "David Meadows"
<david@no.spam.here.uk> wrote:

>"David Johnston" <rgormannospam@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
>> Is the title of a Neil Gaiman novel about which I've heard nothing but
>> bad things. However, it isn't a bad premise for how to create super
>> characters. So what do Americans (and other people of the modern era)
>> believe in, these days? What would
>> the spheres of new "gods" be?
>>
>> Gadgetry
>> National Defense
>> Space Exploration
>> Guardian Angels
>> UFOs
>> Wilderness preservation
>> Organised Crime
>> Celebrities
>> The Stock Market
>
>It think it could be much more easily summed up in three:
>
>Wealth
>Fame
>Power
>
>The three spheres have some overlap, of course, but between them they
>encompass everything else that people worship.

Really. And under which of those categories does the environmentalism
of a typical tree-hugger come?

Besides, I'm not looking for all-encompassing spheres but rather
distinctive spheres.
September 5, 2004 10:24:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

I'd say right now in America 'Reality TV' is worshipped as a god.
Definitely not by me though.
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 3:19:01 AM

> On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 18:14:40 +0100, "David Meadows"
> <david@no.spam.here.uk> wrote:
>

> >It think it could be much more easily summed up in three:
> >
> >Wealth
> >Fame
> >Power
> >
> >The three spheres have some overlap, of course, but between them they
> >encompass everything else that people worship.
>
> Really. And under which of those categories does the environmentalism
> of a typical tree-hugger come?

What, exactly, does the environmentalism tree-hugger worship?

--
David Meadows
"We're like a poorly-oiled machine teetering on the brink
of a breakdown." -- Fred, Heroes #19
Heroes: a comic book www.heroes.force9.co.uk/scripts
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 9:15:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 23:19:01 +0100, "David Meadows"
<david@no.spam.here.uk> wrote:

>"David Johnston" <rgormannospam@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 18:14:40 +0100, "David Meadows"
>> <david@no.spam.here.uk> wrote:
>>

>> >It think it could be much more easily summed up in three:
>> >
>> >Wealth
>> >Fame
>> >Power
>> >
>> >The three spheres have some overlap, of course, but between them they
>> >encompass everything else that people worship.
>>
>> Really. And under which of those categories does the environmentalism
>> of a typical tree-hugger come?
>
>What, exactly, does the environmentalism tree-hugger worship?

Why his idealised pastoral vision of the world.
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 1:38:29 PM

tystates@pennswoods.net (Ty States) wrote in message news:<f77058d0.0409051548.740fdd1@posting.google.com>...
> I'd say right now in America 'Reality TV' is worshipped as a god.
> Definitely not by me though.

Then what of Matt, the stooge in The Joe Schmo show? Is he a false
prophet? Or an ultra powerful icon/avatar/god because he is the only
real person there?
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 6:41:35 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On 6 Sep 2004 09:38:29 -0700, nini_pad@yahoo.com (michael price)
wrote:

>tystates@pennswoods.net (Ty States) wrote in message news:<f77058d0.0409051548.740fdd1@posting.google.com>...
>> I'd say right now in America 'Reality TV' is worshipped as a god.
>> Definitely not by me though.
>
> Then what of Matt, the stooge in The Joe Schmo show? Is he a false
>prophet? Or an ultra powerful icon/avatar/god because he is the only
>real person there?

More of a Saint of Reality

-----
"There'll be someone else sitting here for Comedy Central.
And that person... or woman... will have to face the fact
that this is the network built on... South Park."
- Craig Kilborn, The Daily Show
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 5:37:52 PM

rgormannospam@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote in message news:<4139f31d.90383127@news.telusplanet.net>...
> Is the title of a Neil Gaiman novel about which I've heard nothing but
> bad things. However, it isn't a bad premise for how to create super
> characters. So what do Americans (and other people of the modern era)
> believe in, these days? What would
> the spheres of new "gods" be?
>
> Gadgetry
> National Defense
> Space Exploration
> Guardian Angels
> UFOs
> Wilderness preservation
> Organised Crime
> Celebrities
> The Stock Market

Geez, are you all Europeans or something? You missed one of the
biggest gods America has - Automobiles.

Related to Automobiles would be Highways/Roads and possibly
Freedom- not in the fuzzy "Mom and Apple Pie" patriotism, but in
a more primal "Don't Tread on Me, I'm going to go where I want,
do what I want, and kill anyone who tries to stop me" fashion.
It's directly aopposed by Morality, and is one of the things
keeping America from becoming anohter Iran.
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 1:40:46 AM

Eric Tolle wrote:

> Geez, are you all Europeans or something? You missed one of the
> biggest gods America has - Automobiles.

Most fish do not notice water. ;-)

--
ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey <efindel@earthlink.net>
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_)
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 12:04:46 PM

schaduw@silcom.com (Eric Tolle) wrote in message news:<d07ba801.0409081237.54003a55@posting.google.com>...
> rgormannospam@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote in message news:<4139f31d.90383127@news.telusplanet.net>...
> > Is the title of a Neil Gaiman novel about which I've heard nothing but
> > bad things. However, it isn't a bad premise for how to create super
> > characters. So what do Americans (and other people of the modern era)
> > believe in, these days? What would
> > the spheres of new "gods" be?
> >
> > Gadgetry
> > National Defense
> > Space Exploration
> > Guardian Angels
> > UFOs
> > Wilderness preservation
> > Organised Crime
> > Celebrities
> > The Stock Market
>
> Geez, are you all Europeans or something? You missed one of the
> biggest gods America has - Automobiles.
>
> Related to Automobiles would be Highways/Roads and possibly
> Freedom- not in the fuzzy "Mom and Apple Pie" patriotism, but in
> a more primal "Don't Tread on Me, I'm going to go where I want,
> do what I want, and kill anyone who tries to stop me" fashion.
> It's directly aopposed by Morality, and is one of the things
> keeping America from becoming anohter Iran.

Guns. This, I think, could be a distinct sphere in the USA.
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 12:58:19 AM

"Brandon Blackmoor" <bblackmoor@blackgate.net> wrote in message
> Prince Charon wrote:
> >
> > Guns. This, I think, could be a distinct sphere
> > in the USA.
>
> I think the gods of Guns and of Automobiles would both be subordinate to
> the god of Independence, which i think is one of the driving myths of
> the USAmerican culture. And the god of Independece is, of course,
> directly oppose by the god of Control, whose worship has slowly expended
> over the past century or so, while the worship of Independence has
> become increasingly marginalized.
>
> The gods of Guns and Automobiles are also enemies of the god of Control,
> which of course seeks to control, and thus destroy, them.

But the god of Automobiles has enslaved himself and his followers to the god
of Oil, who is an agent of the god of Control.

--
David Meadows
"We're like a poorly-oiled machine teetering on the brink
of a breakdown." -- Fred, Heroes #19
Heroes: a comic book www.heroes.force9.co.uk/scripts
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 7:11:30 PM

Brandon Blackmoor wrote:

> Prince Charon wrote:
>

>> Guns. This, I think, could be a distinct sphere
>> in the USA.
>
> I think the gods of Guns and of Automobiles would both be subordinate to
> the god of Independence, which i think is one of the driving myths of
> the USAmerican culture. And the god of Independece is, of course,
> directly oppose by the god of Control, whose worship has slowly expended
> over the past century or so, while the worship of Independence has
> become increasingly marginalized.

Counter-intuitively, most of the strongest apparent proponents of
Independence are quite in favour of exercising control over others.
They'd like all the independance for themselves I guess :>

--
Corey Murtagh
The Electric Monk

"Eric Tolle" <schaduw@silcom.com> wrote in message
news:D 07ba801.0409081237.54003a55@posting.google.com...
> rgormannospam@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote in message
> > Is the title of a Neil Gaiman novel about which I've heard nothing but
> > bad things. However, it isn't a bad premise for how to create super
> > characters. So what do Americans (and other people of the modern era)
> > believe in, these days? What would
> > the spheres of new "gods" be?
> >
> > Gadgetry
> > National Defense
> > Space Exploration
> > Guardian Angels
> > UFOs
> > Wilderness preservation
> > Organised Crime
> > Celebrities
> > The Stock Market
>
> Geez, are you all Europeans or something? You missed one of the
> biggest gods America has - Automobiles.
>
> Related to Automobiles would be Highways/Roads and possibly
> Freedom- not in the fuzzy "Mom and Apple Pie" patriotism, but in
> a more primal "Don't Tread on Me, I'm going to go where I want,
> do what I want, and kill anyone who tries to stop me" fashion.
> It's directly aopposed by Morality, and is one of the things
> keeping America from becoming anohter Iran.

Plus...
Computers
Internet
Videogames
Democracy
Conservistism
Liberalism
Freedom (needs to be listed twice IMHO)
The American Dream
After 9-11... Vengence
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 5:38:00 PM

EMonk wrote:

> Counter-intuitively, most of the strongest apparent proponents of
> Independence are quite in favour of exercising control over others.

What would religion be without hypocrisy?

bblackmoor
2004-09-12
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 12:24:42 PM

Brandon Blackmoor wrote:

> EMonk wrote:
>
>> Counter-intuitively, most of the strongest apparent proponents of
>> Independence are quite in favour of exercising control over others.
>
> What would religion be without hypocrisy?

Ummm... badly-selling C-grade fiction? :>

--
Corey Murtagh
The Electric Monk

"David Meadows" <david@no.spam.here.uk> wrote in message news:<413b9252$0$51061$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>...
> What, exactly, does the environmentalism tree-hugger worship?

Quite often, Mother Nature/Gaia.
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 8:42:36 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

>> What would religion be without hypocrisy?
>
>Ummm... badly-selling C-grade fiction? :>

Have you actually read the Bible? By this definition, the Bible is C-Grade
Fiction.

Captain Geek
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 11:18:34 PM

Detryxtyr wrote:

> Have you actually read the Bible? By this definition, the Bible is
> C-Grade Fiction.

Of course the Bible is actually Best Selling C-grade fiction.

--
Olivier Fanton (http://roles.datamancers.net/)
"Quand un lapin bouquine, il n'a pas besoin de lunettes."

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:18:34 +0200, "Olivier Fanton"
<ANTI.olivier.fanton@SPAM.free.fr> wrote:

>Detryxtyr wrote:
>>
>> Have you actually read the Bible? By this definition, the Bible is
>> C-Grade Fiction.
>
> Of course the Bible is actually Best Selling C-grade fiction.

The Bible is a collection of short stories and historical anecdotes,
some of which are pretty good.
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 11:56:17 PM

> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 19:18:34 +0200, "Olivier Fanton"
> <ANTI.olivier.fanton@SPAM.free.fr> wrote:
>
> >Detryxtyr wrote:
> >>
> >> Have you actually read the Bible? By this definition, the Bible is
> >> C-Grade Fiction.
> >
> > Of course the Bible is actually Best Selling C-grade fiction.
>
> The Bible is a collection of short stories and historical anecdotes,
> some of which are pretty good.

Could have done with a good editor, though.

--
David Meadows
"We're like a poorly-oiled machine teetering on the brink
of a breakdown." -- Fred, Heroes #19
Heroes: a comic book www.heroes.force9.co.uk/scripts
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 2:57:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Before 9-11 for a lot of people. Including Arabs, Russian mafia types and
survivalists.

> After 9-11... Vengence

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 12:34:14 PM

Robert Duffy wrote:
> Before 9-11 for a lot of people. Including Arabs, Russian mafia types and
> survivalists.
>
>> After 9-11... Vengence

Sorry, but I have no idea what this post means. Lots of people existed
before "9-11", and these people would want vengeance after "9-11"...?

I don't get it. Why would the Russian mafia want vengeance after "9-11"?
Is this some crank conspiracy theory that I've somehow missed?

bblackmoor
2004-11-01
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 8:07:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

> Sorry, but I have no idea what this post means. Lots of people existed
> before "9-11", and these people would want vengeance after "9-11"...?

How did you get that from my post? Somebody said that Vengeance would be a
good category after 9-11. I simply pointed out that there were a lot of
people who believed in vengeance before it. I think you read the post
again.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 8:42:04 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

I think it's stretching things quite a bit to call the bible history, except
in the cultural sense.

> The Bible is a collection of short stories and historical anecdotes,
> some of which are pretty good.

Anonymous
November 8, 2004 1:34:01 AM

Robert Duffy wrote:

> I think you read the post again.

I read what you wrote. If you want to say something else, write
something else.

bblackmoor
2004-11-07
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 2:54:33 AM

"Robert Duffy" <duffyrp@eircom.net> wrote in message news:<G18jd.41103$Z14.15879@news.indigo.ie>...
> I think it's stretching things quite a bit to call the bible history, except
> in the cultural sense.

I don't think he did. What he said was that it was "a collection of
short stories and historical anecdotes", which it is. Some of the bible
stories are true, mostly. For instance the tales of King David were
probably mostly accurate, as much as say the stories of Caligula are. Now
you may disagree about what is a short story and what is a historical
ancedote but the fact remains _some_ of the bible is true.

> > The Bible is a collection of short stories and historical anecdotes,
> > some of which are pretty good.

Anonymous
November 9, 2004 12:29:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 17:42:04 -0000, "Robert Duffy" <duffyrp@eircom.net>
wrote:

>I think it's stretching things quite a bit to call the bible history, except
>in the cultural sense.

Some of the Bible is history. Other parts aren't. Specifically we
have no reason to think that the history of the kings of Israel that
we have is any less accurate in its records of the facts than that
left by Herodotus or any other classical historian, or for that matter

certain major newspapers of the modern day.
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 12:04:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Or you could learn to read English. Or manners. Either would do really.

"Brandon Blackmoor" <bblackmoor@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Robert Duffy wrote:
>>
>> I think you read the post again.
>
> I read what you wrote. If you want to say something else, write something
> else.
>
> bblackmoor
> 2004-11-07
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 12:08:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

True. I guess I consider the bible history in the sense that Aboriginal
creation myths or the Ulster cycle are. They're more the history of a
culture than the modern definition of historical fact.

!