Liteon CD-RW reads but does not write

Acert93

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Hello,

I am having problems with a CD-RW drive and was wondering if someone had any advice or could point me to a place where I can get some help.

The drive is a Liteon LTR-52246S 52x-24x-52x (Firmware: 6SOF). I can read off the drive fine, but I cannot write. I get this error:

'WRITE' command failed on device 1:0:0
ASPI request timed out
Error code: -105
sub-code: -21

I have tried Nero and BurnQuick and neither work. I uninstalled and disconnected the drive and reinstalled it and disabled "Enable CD Recording on this drive" and I got it to write files, then I tried copying a CD and it would not work. Now it wont copy files either :/

I have had the drive over a year and have never been able to get it to write. At the time I did not need to write with it so it was not a big deal (did not even know it did not work for 6 months), but now I need to use it and it is not working...

Any advice? Thanks!

has the drive been in the same system since you bought it?

Have you reformatted / reinstall Windows in this time?

Are you possitive that this is a CD-Writer...and you haven't been shipped the wrong drive?

What are you system specs?

<font color=blue><font color=red>Blow</font color=red> Dry <font color=red>my ass</font color=red> and call me <font color=red>Eden</font color=red>!</font color=blue>

Acert93

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Howdy ho neighborino,

Yes, the drive has only been in this system; this system did have another drive (same model) that did not work that was returned.

I have not formatted my HD, but that is my next step Monday if I cannot figure this out.

I am certain it is a CD-RW, and not just a CD-ROM drive. :) Win detects it as the CD I purchased, which is a CD-RW (can even check the LiteOn site to confirm). The entire story is thus: I bought a barebones from United Micro about a year ago. The original CD-RW was broke, so it was returned. A new one was sent and it worked fine (so I thought)--I never did copy stuff (had no disks) so I assumed it worked.

A few months back I tried Nero and it did not work (said it would only work with the bundled drive it came with--smacked my head because the UM people sent the same software back which means it does NOT work with my drive... grrr...)... and the Nero Express kept giving the error, so after I moved I did some looking around, updated the firmware and got BurnQuick (a DVD Burner program). I also checked for new drivers, but LiteOn says it uses the MS default drivers.

Still had the same problems, so I uninstalled the drive, switched power cables around, checked the EIDE cables, read my MB manual and CD-RW instructions, etc... and reinstalled the driver.

Next I turned off "Enable CD Recording" in the CD properties (I had read this helped someone else with a similar problem) and tried BurnQuick on some MP3 files I had ripped from a Carl Orff CD AND IT WORKED.

So I next tried making a copy of an Audio CD, and no luck. Went back to copy some more files and the same error came back.

The drive speeds up and down when it is trying to burn, but no luck.

Specs:

P4 2.533Ghz (533FSB)
512MB DDR333
Asus P4PE w/GB Lan
Maxtor 80GB HD w/ 8MB cache
Radeon 9700 np
SB Live 5.1
Win XP Pro

I am at a loss... I enabled 'Enable CD Recording' just now, got it to work for one CD-RW, and then the next it would not work...

The disks work fine on my friends laptop's external CD-RW, so I do not believe it is the disks (I tried some of his disks, which he has no probs with, and it ate them also).

Thanks for the help... at this rate, it is going to cost me $20 in CD-RW disks to get this fixed :(

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
WRITE' command failed on device 1:0:0
<b><font color=red>ASPI request timed out</b></font color=red>
Error code: -105
sub-code: -21
May be your comp needs to update <b><A HREF="http://www.nero.com/us/631940726560344.html" target="_new"><font color=blue>aspi driver</A></b></font color=blue>

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Acert93

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
I have gone through the suggestions, and no luck.

Also, my brother-in-law brought over an external CD-RW (USB) and I tried that on the computer and it worked. Ironically, it is the identical drive, less his is an external USB drive :/

So it appears I was sent a bad drive :( I should have checked it more closely after the first one came bad (the first one would not read any user written CDs and could not read a lot of normal CDs).

Thanks for everyones help... at least I feel a little bit better knowing it is a bad drive and not my general incompentance that was causing problems (not that I am not incompetant--I am!--just that in this case I was my general incompetance was not in the way :)