Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[Hero 5th] Video Recording? High Speed Internet? Hard Driv..

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 10:45:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

All,

How would you model powers for a robot or cyborg character with the
ability to do high tech stuff that involves data storage, display,
etc? What about Internet Access and Data Ports?

Lets say I want to be able to record video or even have a super brain
that records all my senses and lets me transfer the data to the
internet or to various formats? What if I want to be able to burn a
dvd or hook a firewire device to my hands? How would I buy the ability
to interface with such hardware using programs or powers? What if I
want high speed internet access at all times? What if I want to be
able to project videos or show/playback what I've seen? Etc?

There are lots of high tech powers like this that I just don't know
how to model in Hero.

Help?

Lewis
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 2:20:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Lewis W Beard wrote:
> All,
>
> How would you model powers for a robot or cyborg character with the
> ability to do high tech stuff that involves data storage, display,
> etc? What about Internet Access and Data Ports?
>
> Lets say I want to be able to record video or even have a super brain
> that records all my senses and lets me transfer the data to the
> internet or to various formats? What if I want to be able to burn a
> dvd or hook a firewire device to my hands? How would I buy the ability
> to interface with such hardware using programs or powers? What if I
> want high speed internet access at all times? What if I want to be
> able to project videos or show/playback what I've seen? Etc?
>
> There are lots of high tech powers like this that I just don't know
> how to model in Hero.
>

Record all of your senses-Eidetic Memory.
Transfer data to the internet-Mindlink or other Mental Powers using the
Machine Class of mind.
Burn a DVD-possibly a minor Transform.
Interface with hardware-Telepathy or Mind Control vs. Machine class of mind.
Project playback-Images.

--
Michael Sears armitage@mhcable.com
"No turning back where the end is in sight.
There's a job to be done, a fight to be won."



-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =-----
http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 2:23:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

In article <c581d835.0409121745.38af9ac3@posting.google.com>,
lewis@lwb.org (Lewis W Beard) wrote:

> Lets say I want to be able to record video or even have a super brain
> that records all my senses and lets me transfer the data to the
> internet or to various formats? What if I want to be able to burn a
> dvd or hook a firewire device to my hands? How would I buy the ability
> to interface with such hardware using programs or powers? What if I
> want high speed internet access at all times? What if I want to be
> able to project videos or show/playback what I've seen? Etc?

The ability to record data is usually bought as Eidetic Memory, usually
with a -1/2 or -1 limitation to reflect it being only 1 or 2 senses.
Sharing those recordings is usually a special effect. I'd call internet
access a 1-point Fringe Benefit for basic access, but certain
applications would cost more (for example, a remote webcam would be
bought as Clairsentience). A wireless link would require High Range
Radio Perception or something similar.

I think the key here is to not overcomplicate things.

--
Joe Claffey | "Make no small plans."
indianajoe3@comcast.net | -- Daniel Burnham
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 6:19:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On 12 Sep 2004 18:45:43 -0700, lewis@lwb.org (Lewis W Beard) wrote:

>All,
>
>How would you model powers for a robot or cyborg character with the
>ability to do high tech stuff that involves data storage, display,
>etc?

Eidetic Memory provides a photographic memory. Images (with
appropriate limitations) to show it to other people. It would be
almost free, if you weren't trying to fool anyone.

>What about Internet Access and Data Ports?

Discriminatory Detect Electricity with Transmit


>
>Lets say I want to be able to record video or even have a super brain
>that records all my senses and lets me transfer the data to the
>internet or to various formats? What if I want to be able to burn a
>dvd

Then just burn one.

or hook a firewire device to my hands?

A what?

How would I buy the ability
>to interface with such hardware using programs or powers?

Computer Programming.

What if I
>want high speed internet access at all times?

Hi Range Radio/Transmit.

What if I want to be
>able to project videos or show/playback what I've seen? Etc?

Images.
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 3:51:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

"David Johnston" <rgormannospam@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
news:4144f311.41069345@news.telusplanet.net...
> On 12 Sep 2004 18:45:43 -0700, lewis@lwb.org (Lewis W Beard) wrote:
>

>
>> or hook a firewire device to my hands?
>
> A what?

Firewire is the Apple equivalent of a USB port/cable, except it also carries
power from the comp, and not just data - so, for things like iPod, it
transfers data *and* recharges.
Anonymous
September 15, 2004 5:59:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

James Stein wrote:

> "David Johnston" <rgormannospam@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> news:4144f311.41069345@news.telusplanet.net...
>
>>On 12 Sep 2004 18:45:43 -0700, lewis@lwb.org (Lewis W Beard) wrote:
>
>>>or hook a firewire device to my hands?
>>
>>A what?
>
> Firewire is the Apple equivalent of a USB port/cable, except it also carries
> power from the comp, and not just data - so, for things like iPod, it
> transfers data *and* recharges.

Kinda.

More precisely the IEEE-1394 ('Firewire') interface is a high-speed
serial bus, very much like USB. The biggest difference between the two
is bandwidth. Firewire is speced to handle up to 400 Mbit while USB 1.1
handles something like 12 Mbit. USB 2.0 is faster, but still not as
fast as Firewire if memory serves.

As for power... I believe that Firewire has a higher power requirement
and output than USB, but both USB and Firewire can power devices. In
fact the majority of small USB peripherals - mice, webcams and so on -
are powered by the bus.

--
Corey Murtagh
The Electric Monk
"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur!"
!