W 2000 vs WXP

Are there significant differences between Windows 2000 and Windows XP?
20 answers Last reply
More about 2000

    Windows XP Professional Comparison Guide
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyupgrade/featurecomp.mspx

    Kernel Enhancements for Windows XP
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/kernel/XP_kernel.mspx

    Top 10 Reasons for IT Pros to move to Windows XP Professional
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyupgrade/itprotop10.mspx

    Windows 2000 Transitions to Extended Support June 30, 2005
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/news/bulletins/extendedsupport.asp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Bud" wrote:

    | Are there significant differences between Windows 2000 and Windows XP?

    Typing 'difference between Windows 2000 and Windows XP' produced this
    result..

    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > Typing 'difference between Windows 2000 and Windows XP' produced this
    > result..
    >
    > http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article10-001

    LOL! And where did you type, 'difference between Windows 2000 and
    Windows XP,' Mike?

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    Google? Vivisimo? AllTheWeb?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    > Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    >> Typing 'difference between Windows 2000 and Windows XP' produced this
    >> result..
    >>
    >> http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article10-001
    >>

    > LOL! And where did you type, 'difference between Windows 2000 and Windows
    > XP,' Mike?
    >
    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt
    > Self-anointed Moderator
    > microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    > http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    "Bud" <buddy@nutz.C0M> wrote in message
    > Are there significant differences between Windows 2000 and Windows XP?

    Yes.

    Kerry

    Bud wrote:
    > Are there significant differences between Windows 2000 and Windows XP?
    umm... Having not used 2000 personally, I wouldn't know for sure but yes
    depending on which version of win 2000 your talking about (Standard or
    Professional) I believe there are.

    Robert Gething wrote:
    > Bud wrote:
    >> Are there significant differences between Windows 2000 and Windows
    >> XP?
    > umm... Having not used 2000 personally, I wouldn't know for sure but
    > yes depending on which version of win 2000 your talking about
    > (Standard or Professional) I believe there are.

    There is no "Standard" version of Windows 2000.

    Answering questions, when you have no first-hand knowledge, only points
    out your ignorance.

    --

    In news:%2329LRQ1fFHA.3540@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Robert Gething <virusking1052733@aol.com> typed:

    > Bud wrote:
    >> Are there significant differences between Windows 2000 and
    >> Windows
    >> XP?

    > umm... Having not used 2000 personally, I wouldn't know for
    > sure but
    > yes depending on which version of win 2000 your talking about
    > (Standard or Professional) I believe there are.

    Sorry, but there is no such product as Windows 2000 Standard.
    Professional is the only version.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Bud wrote:
    > Are there significant differences between Windows 2000 and Windows XP?
    Since nobody would tell me, I got the following from someone else. What
    comments, if any do you have?
    "There are new interface options available with XP, but no functional
    differences to speak of. Windows followed this progression... for home
    users 3.1, 95, 98 ,me,XP home, for business NT 4, 2000 workstation and
    server, 2003 server with xp pro for the workstations. XP is where they
    consolidated the business workstation and home user into the same
    branding(XP).

    2000 workstation will not have what I call the 'bubble gum' look and
    feel - that is about all."

    I also got similar advice about Plug'n'Play being severely restricted in
    W 2000 from a clerk at CompUSA.

    In news:umotS6ahFHA.3540@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Bud <buddy@nutz.C0M> typed:

    > Bud wrote:
    >> Are there significant differences between Windows 2000 and
    >> Windows
    >> XP?

    > 2000 workstation will not have what I call the 'bubble gum'
    > look and
    > feel - that is about all."

    What you call the "bubble gum' look and feel" is entirely
    optional in Windows XP. If you don't like it you can easily turn
    it off, and revert to the classic interface.

    The differences between Windows 2000 and XP aren't enormous, but
    there's lots more than just the optional look of the interface.
    Under the hood, Windows 2000 is Windows NT 5.0, and XP is NT 5.1.
    So XP is a relatively minor update to 2000.
    If you already have 2000, and are contemplating moving to XP, the
    right answer for many people is that it's not worth the cost and
    effort. But if you're planning on buying a new computer and
    asking what version to install on it, to me the answer is clearly
    XP. XP has the following small but significant advantages over
    2000:

    Msconfig

    System Restore

    Driver Rollback

    Better Help System

    Better Virtual Memory Handling

    Clear Type

    IE Add-on Manager

    Driver Rollback

    Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

    Additions to my list by others are welcome.

    Bud wrote:

    > I also got similar advice about Plug'n'Play being severely restricted in
    > W 2000 from a clerk at CompUSA.

    One should never expect competent technical advice/information from a
    CompUSA employee, especially the sales staff; these people generally
    seem to have been hired for how little they know about computers and
    software. Win2K supports "plug & play" quite well.

    As for the differences between Win2K and WinXP:

    Windows XP Professional Comparison Guide
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyupgrade/featurecomp.asp

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    "Ken Blake" wrote:

    >But if you're planning on buying a new computer and
    > asking what version to install on it, to me the answer is clearly
    > XP. XP

    Is one allowed to ugrade from XP Home to XP Pro from and OEM installation of
    XP Home?

    In news:BE04983F-C79F-4433-B2C7-870A6942896E@microsoft.com,
    fvmsad <fvmsad@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >
    >> But if you're planning on buying a new computer and
    >> asking what version to install on it, to me the answer is
    >> clearly
    >> XP. XP
    >
    > Is one allowed to ugrade from XP Home to XP Pro from and OEM
    > installation of XP Home?

    Yes. The XP Professional upgrade isn't even aware of whether the
    XP Home installation was Retail or OEM. In general, the only
    difference between an OEM installation (at least a generic OEM
    installation, as opposed to one customized for a particular OEM's
    computer) is the installation routine and what it accepts as
    qualification to install.

    fvmsad wrote:

    > Is one allowed to ugrade from XP Home to XP Pro from and OEM installation of
    > XP Home?

    Sure. Why wouldn't you be?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > fvmsad wrote:
    >

    >> Is one allowed to ugrade from XP Home to XP Pro from and OEM
    >> installation of XP Home?
    >

    > Sure. Why wouldn't you be?

    Like everyone memorizes MS's EULA as part of the catechism of their
    religion?

    Not everyone bows down [bends over] at the altar of MS, like you, Bruce.

    --

    Bud wrote:
    > Are there significant differences between Windows 2000 and Windows XP?

    Windows XP Professional manages memory better than Windows 2000.
    Windows XP has a built in "firewall".
    Windows XP Professional gives you more local security policies than Windows
    2000.
    Windows XP gives you System Restore and Driver Rollback capability.
    Windows XP gives you an Internet Explorer Add-on Manager.
    Windows XP Professional gives you an Encrypting File System (EFS) with
    Multi-user Support.
    Windows XP gives you Smart Card Support.
    Windows XP gives you the Windows Security Center.
    Windows XP gives you Data Execution Prevention.
    Windows XP gives you a User State Migration Tool with support.
    Windows XP gives you more options for unattended installations than previous
    versions of Windows.
    Windows XP gives you Remote Assistance.
    Windows XP Professional gives you Remote Desktop.
    Windows XP improved Offline File Support.
    Windows XP gives you "ClearType" for improving LCD screen text views.

    Well, hell - Look here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyupgrade/featurecomp.mspx

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    kurttrail wrote:

    > Like everyone memorizes MS's EULA as part of the catechism of their
    > religion?
    >
    > Not everyone bows down [bends over] at the altar of MS, like you, Bruce.

    What's the EULA have to do with a simple technical question? You're
    really stretching things, just get your knee-jerk anti-Microsoft blurb in.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > kurttrail wrote:
    >

    >> Like everyone memorizes MS's EULA as part of the catechism of their
    >> religion?
    >>
    >> Not everyone bows down [bends over] at the altar of MS, like you,
    >> Bruce.
    >

    > What's the EULA have to do with a simple technical question? You're
    > really stretching things, just get your knee-jerk anti-Microsoft
    > blurb in.

    ROFL! Dude, the guy just asked a simple question, and you asked the
    condescending question.

    "Is one allowed to ugrade from XP Home to XP Pro from and OEM
    installation of XP Home?"

    "Sure. Why wouldn't you be?"

    Like the OP should be aware of all of MS's BS rules by heart! MS has so
    many rules, that very few people know all of them.

    And I didn't make any anti-MS "blurbs," Bruce. I was making fun of you
    being a disciple of the MicroGod, who has handed down the holy word, the
    EULA, to bring all MicroHeathens to virtual righteousness.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    There are many, many differences between Word 2000 and Word XP and not
    just in its looks. I've taught Word for the past 13 years for both
    Microsoft and Apple. I teach Word at our firm and am the central point
    of contact should anyone have any questions or need one on one
    assistance. We produce thousands of pages of documentation daily using
    Word. Whoever designed Word XP may know software programming, but they
    know nothing in regards to functionality, user friendliness and
    efficiency in a documentation software package. It has not been made
    easier, it actually has been made more complicated and steps to perform
    certain functions have not been decreased, but actually increased. All
    my training modules have to be updated and not because of aesthetic
    reasons. Many procedures have been altered. This is also the case for
    Excel and Powerpoint. I use both Microsoft XP Home and Professional
    editions and the changes are not for the better.

    --
    rzuk

    rzuk wrote:

    > There are many, many differences between Word 2000 and Word XP and not
    > just in its looks.
    (snip)

    Yes, but the poster to whom you were replying asked about the
    differences between the Windows 2000 and the Windows XP *operating*
    systems, not versions of the MS Office applications.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com