Armageddon

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes,rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

Y'know, this really is just on the borderline of being a superhero
universe, what with angels dogfighting with interceptors, and Thor
attacking tank battalions. I'm tempted to convert it into a more
conventional superheroic system, but maybe it would work as is.
One thing I've really got to give it credit for. Best ripoff of
Highlander, ever.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

>I'm tempted to convert it into a more
>conventional superheroic system, but maybe it would work as is.

I'm content to wait for "Beyond Human", the Supers game Eden's making based on
the same rulesset (Or possibly the Cinematic version thereof presented in Buffy
and Angel.)

Even if it's full Unisystem, I'd probably pull the Drama Point mechanic over.

Phil

David Johnston wrote:
>Y'know, this really is just on the borderline of being a superhero
>universe, what with angels dogfighting with interceptors, and Thor
>attacking tank battalions. I'm tempted to convert it into a more
>conventional superheroic system, but maybe it would work as is.
>One thing I've really got to give it credit for. Best ripoff of
>Highlander, ever.

I think you should stick with the rules as they are. If you have the
cinematic unisystem variant rules available (Buffy, Angel), you could
consider importing some of those rules, since it speeds up the game.

I don't know. Maybe because its because I am from Europe, but I always
though having the AoR occupy the US and assasinate the president instead
of occupying Europe and assisinate the Pope would make a cooler setting.
Note, this is in no way a bashing of the US, but if you think of it in
occult terms, shouldn't occupying the holy sites (Vatican, Mecca etc) be
something the AoR should find the most difficult and leave that for the
last, given that it is an occult setting?

Just a couple of thoughts.

Havard

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes,rec.games.frp.misc (More info?)

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 22:10:46 +0000 (UTC), hoc@nvg.ntnu.no
(=?iso-8859-1?Q?H=E5vard?= Faanes) wrote:

>David Johnston wrote:
>>Y'know, this really is just on the borderline of being a superhero
>>universe, what with angels dogfighting with interceptors, and Thor
>>attacking tank battalions. I'm tempted to convert it into a more
>>conventional superheroic system, but maybe it would work as is.
>>One thing I've really got to give it credit for. Best ripoff of
>>Highlander, ever.
>
>I think you should stick with the rules as they are. If you have the
>cinematic unisystem variant rules available (Buffy, Angel), you could
>consider importing some of those rules, since it speeds up the game.
>
>I don't know. Maybe because its because I am from Europe, but I always
>though having the AoR occupy the US and assasinate the president instead
>of occupying Europe and assisinate the Pope would make a cooler setting.
>Note, this is in no way a bashing of the US, but if you think of it in
>occult terms, shouldn't occupying the holy sites (Vatican, Mecca etc) be

I don't think they have occupied Mecca, although they have bombed
it pretty flat. The Middle East is still an active front in the war,
probably because the intervention by the Olympians is keeping
the AoR pinned down to some extent in Turkey.

>something the AoR should find the most difficult and leave that for the
>last, given that it is an occult setting?

There are reasons for that, though. One big one is that according to
a common interpretation of the prophecies of Nostradamus, we are
nearing the end of the line of popes. Further, it establishes that
Leviathan can kick the asses of the Hosts of Heaven if they try
head-on confrontation, and that fact must be established just as
if you have a WWII campaign with Superman and Green Lantern,
you need to established why they don't just take out Berlin and Tokyo.
I'm pretty sure ten thousand angels wouldn't show up to try to save or
avenge an American politician. Besides, it's an English language game,
and for that reason it's more convenient to leave the English speaking
countries among the unconquered.

David Johnston wrote:
>I don't think they have occupied Mecca, although they have bombed
>it pretty flat. The Middle East is still an active front in the war,
>probably because the intervention by the Olympians is keeping
>the AoR pinned down to some extent in Turkey.

Sorry, been a while since I read through the book.

AoR occupying Europe, not the US:

>There are reasons for that, though. One big one is that according to
>a common interpretation of the prophecies of Nostradamus, we are
>nearing the end of the line of popes. Further, it establishes that
>Leviathan can kick the asses of the Hosts of Heaven if they try
>head-on confrontation, and that fact must be established just as
>if you have a WWII campaign with Superman and Green Lantern,
>you need to established why they don't just take out Berlin and Tokyo.
>I'm pretty sure ten thousand angels wouldn't show up to try to save or
>avenge an American politician. Besides, it's an English language game,
>and for that reason it's more convenient to leave the English speaking
>countries among the unconquered.

I didn't know about the Nostradamus thing. The whole story of the angels
showing up and getting their butts kicked when the pope was killed was
pretty interesting though.

My point was simply that to most people not knowing about the occult
aspect of the world, the US president would probably be considered the
most powerful man on earth, not the pope, and thus would have a more
intimidating effect. Not that killing the pope would make people relax or
anything...

You do have a point when you say that alot of people will probably want to
play english speaking characters. One thing I considered was to have the
AoR conquer only the US east coast, leaving the rest of the country free.

Anyways, it is still a pretty awesome game! :)

Havard