File Types, can't change application

VINOD

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004

On my Windows XP/SP2 PC, non-admin users can not change application to
handle given file type. In the Folder Options >> File Types >> the
"Change" and "Advanced" buttons are greyed out. How can I enables this
change for all users?

Vinod

NoFileAssociate

Automated edit...

Read the instructions at the top
314. File Associations are Greyed Out
-----

NoFileAssociate
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Data type Range Default value
REG_DWORD 0 | 1 1 (Terminal Services systems)
0 (All other Windows 2000 systems)

Description
Disables the buttons on the File Types tab. As a result, users can view file
type associations, but they cannot add, delete, or change them.

The File Types tab shows which programs open when a type of file is
double-clicked. The file types are represented by their file name extension.

Value Meaning
0 Users can add, delete, and change file type associations.
1 Users cannot add, delete, or change file type associations.

By disabling this tab, you can prevent malicious users from creating an
association that starts a risky or destructive program. Also, users cannot
create less productive associations, such as associating the .doc file type
with Wordpad instead of Microsoft Word. This is a particular risk on
multi-user systems, such as Terminal Services clients.

Note
Although this entry is located in the Policies\Explorer subkey, it is not
associated with a Group Policy included in Windows 2000. You can create a
policy by adding this entry to an Administrative Templates file.

This entry applies to all users of the computer. To set this entry for
particular users, use NoFileAssociate in the HKCU subtree. If the settings
of these entries conflict, the setting in HKCU takes precedence over the
setting in HKLM.

Windows 2000 does not add this entry to the registry. You can add it by
editing the registry or by using a program that edits the registry.

Tip
To see the File Types tab, in My Computer, from the Tools menu, click Folder
Options, and then click the File Types tab. ]]
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/regentry/94215.asp

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1120334515.547379.204620@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
vinod <vrak58@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:

vinod wrote:
> On my Windows XP/SP2 PC, non-admin users can not change application to
> handle given file type. In the Folder Options >> File Types >> the
> "Change" and "Advanced" buttons are greyed out. How can I enables this
> change for all users?
>
> Vinod

If you click start, run, type console1.msc, press enter, click
add/remove snap-in, select group policy and click finish.

In the left hand pane you should now see local computer policy, double
click that followed by computer setting then administrative templates.

Somewhere in there is an option to enable the tabs your after.

Have you tried booting in safe mode, logging in as administrator then
double clicking my computer and folder options?

If not try this before the above method, let me know if the options are
still greyed out.

If you can access these tabs by logging in as administrator in safe
mode, the permissions on your standard user account don't allow you to
access these tabs.

If this is the case and you need help changing the permissions on your
account, just let me know, I'll gladly help you.

VINOD

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004

I searched the whole registry but could not find NoFileAssociate key
defined any where. So, I guess the file association is not controlled
by this reg key.

Vinod

kelly

Having the thread or at least the last post attached would have helped.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"vinod" <vrak58@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I searched the whole registry but could not find NoFileAssociate key
> defined any where. So, I guess the file association is not controlled
> by this reg key.
>
> Vinod

Original Post.........

In news:exi1BhSgFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,