Charlie

I am running a home network with multiple Windows XP machines attached to
the Internet with a Linksys router with the DHCP function turned on. Is it
possible to have one of my machines use a static IP address instead of the
one leased by the router. I know how to setup a static ip address, and I am
using a number in the same subnet mask but I can't get access to the
Internet. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

Make sure the static IP you choose is in the allowable range of the router.
Most routers can be configured to automatically assign a static IP to a
particular machine by mac address - I find this to be the easiest way rather
than doing it on the machine itself.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Charlie" <Charlie@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I am running a home network with multiple Windows XP machines attached to
>the Internet with a Linksys router with the DHCP function turned on. Is it
>possible to have one of my machines use a static IP address instead of the
>one leased by the router. I know how to setup a static ip address, and I am
>using a number in the same subnet mask but I can't get access to the
>Internet. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you using ADSL or Cable? For cable it is very simple and you do it as
you mentioned. If you are using an ADSL modem like 2-wire then you have to
configure the modem first as a bridge then configure your router.

"Charlie" <Charlie@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I am running a home network with multiple Windows XP machines attached to
>the Internet with a Linksys router with the DHCP function turned on. Is it
>possible to have one of my machines use a static IP address instead of the
>one leased by the router. I know how to setup a static ip address, and I am
>using a number in the same subnet mask but I can't get access to the
>Internet. Any help would be appreciated.

"Charlie" <Charlie@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I am running a home network with multiple Windows XP machines attached to
>the Internet with a Linksys router with the DHCP function turned on. Is it
>possible to have one of my machines use a static IP address instead of the
>one leased by the router. I know how to setup a static ip address, and I am
>using a number in the same subnet mask but I can't get access to the
>Internet. Any help would be appreciated.

Check your router's configuration settings. Most routers assign I.P.
addresses within only a portion of the 256 available numbers in a
given subnet. The usual range is 100.

For best results the manually configured i.p. address should be
outside the range used by the router for DHCP assignments while still
remaining within the 000 to 255 valid number range.

Also make sure the subnet mask is configured as 255.255.255.0

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in

> "Charlie" <Charlie@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>I am running a home network with multiple Windows XP machines
>>attached to the Internet with a Linksys router with the DHCP
>>function turned on. Is it possible to have one of my machines
>>use a static IP address instead of the one leased by the router.
>>I know how to setup a static ip address, and I am using a number
>>in the same subnet mask but I can't get access to the Internet.
>>Any help would be appreciated.
>>

> Check your router's configuration settings. Most routers assign
> I.P. addresses within only a portion of the 256 available
> numbers in a given subnet. The usual range is 100.
>
> For best results the manually configured i.p. address should be
> outside the range used by the router for DHCP assignments while
> still remaining within the 000 to 255 valid number range.
>
> Also make sure the subnet mask is configured as 255.255.255.0
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

Adding to the above correct information:
In the network settings on the computer your giving the static IP
address to...
- set the gateway to your router's IP address (192.168.0.1 for DLink,
192.168.1.1 for Linksys etc).
- set DNS server to the router's IP as well (as above)
- enable "Netbios over TCP/IP"

Nick Goetz

Charlie wrote:
> I am running a home network with multiple Windows XP machines attached to
> the Internet with a Linksys router with the DHCP function turned on. Is it
> possible to have one of my machines use a static IP address instead of the
> one leased by the router. I know how to setup a static ip address, and I am
> using a number in the same subnet mask but I can't get access to the
> Internet. Any help would be appreciated.

Open your web browser type your DHCP gateway IP address and press enter,
(if your not sure what this IP address is, double click on my netwk
places, then click view netwk connections, double click on your
lan/wireless connection, click the support tab and there you will find
the DHCP gateway. This is the IP address you need to type into your
browser.) Once you have done this, login, select routing, click add,
type the PC IP address in the netwk address field, obviously type the
subnet mask in the subnet mask field, and the IP address you typed into
your browser to access the ruter in the gateway field, click apply and
you now have one PC set up with a static IP address and should still be
able to access the internet.