Scsi 320 for 32 bit????

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I'm looking to get my first scsi set up. I have a Maxtor 74 gig 320 drive. Now I need to controller card. I have a standard 32-bit MB and am looking for a controller card that will allow me to use the drive. Since its all new to me I can't seem to see what boards are compatible\backwards compatible withy my system. Most crads I see are PCI-x, to which I know nothing about. Ant help or suggestions?

It seems that every time I reboot my wallet gets smaller. I append: No longer interested in speed, just the mere idea that everything should perform at its full potential.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Get a U160 card. 32-bit 33MHz PCI (as used by PC motherboards) is only 133MB/s, slower than U160 anyway, so there won't be a performance panalty. The U320 drive is backwards compatable all the way to Ultra Wide (40MB/s), but anything slower than U160 would cause slower performance.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>