  • Microsoft
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
July 2, 2005 5:59:01 PM

Hi,
I have just installed a new hard drive on my HP500 laptop and I am now
stuck in 640*480 which is a postage stamp in the middle of the screen!
Being a bit clueless around pc's I have no idea what drivers I have etc. (I
have though tried the advanced settings etc but they are all greyed out and
can't be shifted)
Can anyone help?

thanks

More about : screen resolution problem

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 8:11:08 PM

You need to download and install the Windows XP video adapter
drivers for your specific HP notebook model. Visit:
http://www.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html?pageDispla...

After installing a fresh set of drivers, right-click on your
desktop and select Properties > Settings, change the Color
Quality to "Highest (32 bit), then adjust your Screen Resolution
to your liking, then click on Apply.

Also, download and install the new ClearType Tuner Powertoy:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"craigencor" wrote:

| Hi,
| I have just installed a new hard drive on my HP500 laptop and I am now
| stuck in 640*480 which is a postage stamp in the middle of the screen!
| Being a bit clueless around pc's I have no idea what drivers I have etc. (I
| have though tried the advanced settings etc but they are all greyed out and
| can't be shifted)
| Can anyone help?
|
| thanks
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 2:07:24 AM

"craigencor" <craigencor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have just installed a new hard drive on my HP500 laptop and I am now
> stuck in 640*480 which is a postage stamp in the middle of the screen!
> Being a bit clueless around pc's I have no idea what drivers I have etc.
> (I
> have though tried the advanced settings etc but they are all greyed out
> and
> can't be shifted)
> Can anyone help?
>
> thanks

Look through the CD's you got with the computer for a video card driver and
install it. If you really are clueless as you say ask a friend/work
colleague round to help, or take it to a computer shop with your original
cd's and ask for help.
July 4, 2005 9:43:06 PM

=?Utf-8?B?Y3JhaWdlbmNvcg==?= wrote:

> I have just installed a new hard drive on my HP500 laptop and I am now
> stuck in 640*480 which is a postage stamp in the middle of the screen!
> Being a bit clueless around pc's I have no idea what drivers I have etc. (I
> have though tried the advanced settings etc but they are all greyed out and
> can't be shifted)

Install the correct video drivers for your onboard video chip. Or use
the restore cd that came with the laptop to set it up for you.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
Anonymous

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply, all were very helpful. I eventually
got the problem resolved by downloading driver updates from HP website.
I now have the problem of MS not activating my version of XP for some
reason, has worked OK for the last few years, but hopefully that is just a
phone call.
Once again
Thanks

!