Can I install an application and run it from an external drive? If the hard
drive is removed is there unwanted side effects?

curmudgeon

Benedictum wrote:
> Can I install an application and run it from an external drive?

SURE!... as long as you reference that drive during the installation
process.

> If the hard drive is removed is there unwanted side effects?

You might have a problem running that program!

Some yes - some no.

Even if yes, in general it will only work on the machine that performed the
installation. It will not work on other machines (some older applications
that do not write to the registry may work on other computers also).

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Benedictum" <benedictum@dominusvobis.com> wrote in message
> Can I install an application and run it from an external drive? If the
> hard drive is removed is there unwanted side effects?

Of course, is should only work with the machine that an app is installed
from. Of course the program will not run when you remove the drive it
resides in. These are all given! What I am asking is other "side effects". I
am asking the experts out there if there are any other issues in installing
application into the external drive.

> Some yes - some no.
>
> Even if yes, in general it will only work on the machine that performed
> the installation. It will not work on other machines (some older
> applications that do not write to the registry may work on other computers
> also).
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>

> "Benedictum" <benedictum@dominusvobis.com> wrote in message
>> Can I install an application and run it from an external drive? If the
>> hard drive is removed is there unwanted side effects?

Issues = some work, some don't. Just try it to find out. If you are looking
for a list, I don't think you will find any!

--

Benedictum wrote:
> Can I install an application and run it from an external drive? If the hard
> drive is removed is there unwanted side effects?

I once asked someone the same question regarding an OS and was told i
woudnt work because windows needed to recognise the hardware.

With this in mind, one would assume the as long as windows recognises
the hardware, during the installation of the application make the
destination directory your external HDD and providing the installation
completes without any errors and you stop the hardware or shutdown the
PC before removing the HDD I can't see there being a problem.

Benedictum wrote:

> Can I install an application and run it from an external drive? If the hard
> drive is removed is there unwanted side effects?

In theory yes can run it, depending on the application.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Pete

Distinguished