Power sources

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Reading through my new GURPS books (which are incidentally
considerably improved as sources books for Supers campaigns),
I noticed on page 33, a set of power types that does a great job of
defining what kind of power fits where you are trying to decide how to
nullify them:

Biological:
Chi
Divine
High Tech
Magic
Psionic
Spirit
Cosmic

I like it.

rgormannospam@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote in message news:<418fe85c.2611473@news.telusplanet.net>...
> Reading through my new GURPS books (which are incidentally
> considerably improved as sources books for Supers campaigns),
> I noticed on page 33, a set of power types that does a great job of
> defining what kind of power fits where you are trying to decide how to
> nullify them:
>
> Biological:
> Chi
> Divine
> High Tech
> Magic
> Psionic
> Spirit
> Cosmic
>
> I like it.

So what's the difference between magic and psionics? Come to think of
it what's the difference between magic and devine (or infernal?)?

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On 8 Nov 2004 23:57:55 -0800, nini_pad@yahoo.com (michael price)
wrote:

>rgormannospam@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote in message news:<418fe85c.2611473@news.telusplanet.net>...
>> Reading through my new GURPS books (which are incidentally
>> considerably improved as sources books for Supers campaigns),
>> I noticed on page 33, a set of power types that does a great job of
>> defining what kind of power fits where you are trying to decide how to
>> nullify them:
>>
>> Biological:
>> Chi
>> Divine
>> High Tech
>> Magic
>> Psionic
>> Spirit
>> Cosmic
>>
>> I like it.
>
> So what's the difference between magic and psionics?

Psionics is an innate power and can be screwed with by technological
means. Magic is dependant on external energies.
Specifically in GURPS 4th ed, psionics work in no mana areas and are
immune to metamagic spells (although a spell to protect your mind from
being read will still work against a psionic mind probe.) Magic can
be used by a wizard wearing a psi-suppression collar and can't be
jammed using static (although a psionic mind shield will protect your
mind against a magical mind control spell).

And this does roughly match Marvel and DC where magic and psionics
are considered to be different things that overlap in what they can
do. Consider the separation between the magical and non magical Green
Lanterns.

Come to think of
>it what's the difference between magic and devine (or infernal?)?

Divine powers also work in no-mana areas. But magic users don't have
to worry about pissing off their power source.