League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: 1980s

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Action campaign idea:

OK, so John Rambo, the A-Team, and Bruce Leeroy
(from "The Last Dragon") have been summoned by a
mysterious patron. (Any suggestions on who else might
be summoned?)

He enters: "I am your host, Mr. Roark. I have called
you all here because of the aliens that have recently
come to our planet. They claim to come in peace. I hope
that it is so. But I have my doubts about these...
Visitors."
41 answers Last reply
More about league extraordinary gentlemen 1980s
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    "Dan Childers" <dchilders@cablespeed.com> wrote:
    > Action campaign idea:
    >
    > OK, so John Rambo, the A-Team, and Bruce Leeroy
    > (from "The Last Dragon") have been summoned by a
    > mysterious patron. (Any suggestions on who else might
    > be summoned?)

    It needs to be characters whose skills complement each other rather than
    overlap. Try a team like:

    John Rambo
    Colt Severs (The Fall Guy)
    Axel Foley (Beverly Hills Cop)
    Doc Brown and Marty (Back to the Future)
    Michael Knight and KITT (Knight Rider)

    You really should have CJ from Baywatch too, but unfortunately it's just
    outside the 80s...

    --
    David Meadows
    I've got nothing to say today

    David Meadows wrote:
    > "Dan Childers" <dchilders@cablespeed.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Action campaign idea:
    >>
    >>OK, so John Rambo, the A-Team, and Bruce Leeroy
    >>(from "The Last Dragon") have been summoned by a
    >>mysterious patron. (Any suggestions on who else might
    >>be summoned?)
    >

    > It needs to be characters whose skills complement each other rather than
    > overlap. Try a team like:
    >
    > John Rambo
    > Colt Severs (The Fall Guy)
    > Axel Foley (Beverly Hills Cop)
    > Doc Brown and Marty (Back to the Future)
    > Michael Knight and KITT (Knight Rider)
    >
    > You really should have CJ from Baywatch too, but unfortunately it's just
    > outside the 80s...

    Or by catagory. There is of course some overlap:

    TOUGH GUY
    John McLane (Die Hard)
    'Dirty' Harry Callahan (The Dead Pool version)
    Lt. Hiram Coffey (the Navy SEAL from The Abyss)

    MORE THEN HUMAN
    The Terminator (Terminator)
    The Predator (Predator)
    Micheal Myers (Halloween)

    TOYS
    Ralph Hanley (The Greatest American Hero)
    Peter Venkman, Raymond Stantz, Egon Spengler (Ghostbusters)

    BRAINS
    Angus Macgyver (Macgyver)
    Rollie Tyler and Leo McCarthy (F/X)
    Chris Knight (Val Kilmer's character in Real Genius)

    GUMSHOE
    Thomas Magnum (Magnum PI)
    Maddie Hayes and David Addison (Moonlighting)
    Sonny Crockett and Ricardo Tubbs (Miami Vice)

    etc, etc, etc...

    MSH
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    MSH wrote:

    > etc, etc, etc...

    Oh yea, and technically you could have the whole Battlestar Galatica crew:
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0080221/

    But really the 80's were bad enough without bringing in dreck like that.

    Proving I've watched entirely too much TV...
    MSH
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:00:03 -0800, MSH <mshaslam@drizzle.com> wrote:

    >MSH wrote:
    >

    >> etc, etc, etc...
    >
    >Oh yea, and technically you could have the whole Battlestar Galatica crew:
    > http://imdb.com/title/tt0080221/
    >
    >But really the 80's were bad enough without bringing in dreck like that.
    >
    >Proving I've watched entirely too much TV...

    Actually having the Galactica be the ones who are arriving might be a
    bit more interesting than having the Vulcans arrive. It would after
    all, be a crisis.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    rgormannospam@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote in

    > On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:00:03 -0800, MSH <mshaslam@drizzle.com> wrote:
    >
    >>MSH wrote:

    >>Oh yea, and technically you could have the whole Battlestar Galatica
    >>crew:
    >
    > Actually having the Galactica be the ones who are arriving might be a
    > bit more interesting than having the Vulcans arrive. It would after
    > all, be a crisis.

    Not Vulcans, Visitors (from the V miniseries, yes?)

    JSwing
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    MSH <mshaslam@drizzle.com> wrote on 17 marras 2004:
    > David Meadows wrote:

    >> John Rambo
    >> Colt Severs (The Fall Guy)
    >> Axel Foley (Beverly Hills Cop)
    >> Doc Brown and Marty (Back to the Future)
    >> Michael Knight and KITT (Knight Rider)

    > John McLane (Die Hard)
    > The Terminator (Terminator)
    > Peter Venkman, Raymond Stantz, Egon Spengler (Ghostbusters)
    > Angus Macgyver (Macgyver)
    > Maddie Hayes and David Addison (Moonlighting)
    > Sonny Crockett and Ricardo Tubbs (Miami Vice)

    I'd pay $10/issue for casts like these, even if the writing was only
    middling.

    --
    Samy Merchi | samy@iki.fi | http://www.iki.fi/samy | #152235689
    Reader of superhero comic books, writer of superhero fanfiction

    JSwing <JSwing@no.spam.please> wrote in message news:<Xns95A3ADD6D443CthreeMusketeers@216.168.3.50>...
    > Not Vulcans, Visitors (from the V miniseries, yes?)

    Correct. They make great main villains for this idea.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    MSH <mshaslam@drizzle.com> wrote in message news:<cne0hm$u8q$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu>...
    > David Meadows wrote:

    A lot of suggestions

    OK: so it's John Rambo, Bruce Leeroy (I liked "The Last
    Dragon" a lot, plus it is the most 80s thing I ever
    saw in my life); add McGyver, Axel Foley, John McLane,
    the Ghostbusters. And Crockett and Tubbs, just because
    their show was so hot back then and so forgotten now.

    Ooh, how about Airwolf? And Jonathon and
    Jennifer Hart (Hart to Hart)?

    The A-Team would probably be allies, of the "heroes
    meet and fight and then team up" sort. In fact,
    the LXG80s might at first be trying to apprehend
    them--they are technically fugitives from justice,
    after all.

    The Terminator, Predators, and Michael Myers are
    all villains. "Foo with the mask on won't stay
    down! Worse'n *you*, McLane!"

    And a nice plot idea: the team eventually has
    to have Doc Brown and Marty soup up B.A.
    Barracus' van (because it is hella cool) and
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    Dan Childers wrote:
    > Action campaign idea:
    >
    > OK, so John Rambo, the A-Team, and Bruce Leeroy
    > (from "The Last Dragon") have been summoned by a
    > mysterious patron. (Any suggestions on who else might
    > be summoned?)

    You need fast transportation. Stringfellow Hawke and Dominic Santini,
    Airwolf.

    > He enters: "I am your host, Mr. Roark. I have called
    > you all here because of the aliens that have recently
    > come to our planet. They claim to come in peace. I hope
    > that it is so. But I have my doubts about these...
    > Visitors."

    Don't worry, you can get some help from the Newcomers.

    --
    Sea Wasp
    /^\

    Interesting idea and a lot of interesting ideas. I think using characters
    from period drama produced during the 1980s could be interesting and would
    give the group a little more depth. More left field would be interesting...

    My take your be a group brought together by an aged professor (only
    identified as Professor Jones) and led by an embittered Vitnam vet - a
    former army journalist who has been sidelined by the establishment for
    investigating whatever it is that Jones has brought the group together to
    fight. (Prof Jones aka Indiana Jones and the guy from Full Metal Jacket -
    Joker?)

    Egon from Ghostbusters would be interesting. You'd have to had at least
    one movie/tv action hero I'd probably go with a pairing of B.A. from
    A-Team and Riggs from Lethal Weapon. You'd also need a token bastard/rogue
    Rorhasch from the Watchmen graphic novel could do or one of the Blues
    Brothers. Women characters from the 1980s are rather poor and I can't
    think of way of getting Red Sonja into the group.

    I think the group should face a conspiracy, a cabal of powerful companies
    (including as many references from 80s sci-fi as you like) brought
    together under the flag of the shadow Knight Foundation. The campaign
    would then be a battle between Michael Knight (or his second replacement)
    and a rather battered KITT, who is currently disguised as Professor Jones
    Woody.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    Jason Kirk wrote:

    >Women characters from the 1980s are rather poor and I can't
    >think of way of getting Red Sonja into the group.

    Same way they got her into the modern day in Marvel Comics? She possessed a
    modern-day descendant. (In Marvel's case, Mary Jane Watson.)

    Phil
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    In article <c02c3b0f.0411170814.4824ee9d@posting.google.com>,
    Dan Childers <dchilders@cablespeed.com> wrote:
    >MSH <mshaslam@drizzle.com> wrote in message news:<cne0hm$u8q$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu>...
    >> David Meadows wrote:
    >
    >A lot of suggestions
    >

    >OK: so it's John Rambo, Bruce Leeroy (I liked "The Last
    >Dragon" a lot, plus it is the most 80s thing I ever
    >saw in my life); add McGyver, Axel Foley, John McLane,
    >the Ghostbusters. And Crockett and Tubbs, just because
    >their show was so hot back then and so forgotten now.

    Crockett and Tubbs can be doing an investigation that ties into the
    main plot. More than a cameo but not main characters.

    >Ooh, how about Airwolf? And Jonathon and
    >Jennifer Hart (Hart to Hart)?

    Airwolf can appear near the end as reinforcements. Not sure how you'd
    get the Harts to fit in without duplicating people already in place.

    >The A-Team would probably be allies, of the "heroes
    >meet and fight and then team up" sort. In fact,
    >the LXG80s might at first be trying to apprehend
    >them--they are technically fugitives from justice,
    >after all.

    Maybe even in a few scenes where we do not follow the A-Team's
    mission, except when it directly interacts with the main plot. Sort
    of like how both Dr Who and Blakes's 7 had a crossover (both ont eh
    same space station at the same time), but expect for the one "passing
    at a crosspoint in the hallways", the two groups never met even though
    the actions of the others were refected in both stories ("unexplained
    unseen events" that occurs in the other show).

    >The Terminator, Predators, and Michael Myers are
    >all villains. "Foo with the mask on won't stay
    >down! Worse'n *you*, McLane!"

    Agreed, too powerful. Unless this was a series intead of a single
    movie, then they could be a "villain of the week".

    >And a nice plot idea: the team eventually has
    >to have Doc Brown and Marty soup up B.A.
    >Barracus' van (because it is hella cool) and

    Again, nice idea, especially for the ending, but it would take too
    long for a single movie.

    Wayne

    --
    _ __ _ __ | I see the girls walk by dressed in
    ' ) / // / / ) / | their summer clothes; I have to turn

    Jason Kirk <usenet@captain.custard.org> wrote:

    >Egon from Ghostbusters would be interesting.

    He would be, as would Peter Venkmann. But does Ghostbusters
    really fit into the concept? If you're going to posit a world
    where all these characters co-exist without already knowing
    about each other, it might be best to stick to low-key characters.
    James Bond, Indiana Jones, Michael Knight, Airwolf, the A-Team,
    John McClane, most of the others who've been mentioned, they all
    have huge adventures but the average joe on the street will have
    never heard of them. The stuff the Ghostbusters did would've been
    front-page news.

    Or maybe I'm thinking about this too much.

    >You'd also need a token bastard/rogue
    >Rorhasch from the Watchmen graphic novel could do or one of the Blues
    >Brothers.

    The Blues Brothers would be absolutely perfect. At least have Elwood
    as the team's driver. Jake could still be in prison if you want to
    keep him out of it.

    > Women characters from the 1980s are rather poor and I can't
    >think of way of getting Red Sonja into the group.

    Sarah Connor from the Terminator would work. Between the first
    and second movies, she went from helpless victim to kick-ass
    heroine. This adventure could be one of her stops along the way.

    I'm trying to think of other 80's-era female characters that
    could fit. I'm sure there are any number, but damned if my
    brain will let me remember any of them. If you're looking
    for action/combat types, they were definitely thin on the
    ground in the 80's.

    Clarice Starling first appeared in movies during the early
    90's, but the book was a few years older.

    Laurie Strode - Jamie Lee Curtis' character from Halloween -
    could be interesting. Largely a blank slate character who
    could be developed far more than she was in the movies.

    Other than that, I got nothing.

    Pete
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    Peter Meilinger wrote:

    > Jason Kirk <usenet@captain.custard.org> wrote:
    >

    >>Egon from Ghostbusters would be interesting.
    >

    > He would be, as would Peter Venkmann. But does Ghostbusters
    > really fit into the concept? If you're going to posit a world
    > where all these characters co-exist without already knowing
    > about each other, it might be best to stick to low-key characters.
    > James Bond, Indiana Jones, Michael Knight, Airwolf, the A-Team,
    > John McClane, most of the others who've been mentioned, they all
    > have huge adventures but the average joe on the street will have
    > never heard of them. The stuff the Ghostbusters did would've been
    > front-page news.
    >
    > Or maybe I'm thinking about this too much.
    >

    >>You'd also need a token bastard/rogue
    >>Rorhasch from the Watchmen graphic novel could do or one of the Blues
    >>Brothers.
    >

    > The Blues Brothers would be absolutely perfect. At least have Elwood
    > as the team's driver. Jake could still be in prison if you want to
    > keep him out of it.
    >

    >>Women characters from the 1980s are rather poor and I can't
    >>think of way of getting Red Sonja into the group.
    >

    > Sarah Connor from the Terminator would work. Between the first
    > and second movies, she went from helpless victim to kick-ass
    > heroine. This adventure could be one of her stops along the way.
    >
    > I'm trying to think of other 80's-era female characters that
    > could fit. I'm sure there are any number, but damned if my
    > brain will let me remember any of them. If you're looking
    > for action/combat types, they were definitely thin on the
    > ground in the 80's.
    >
    > Clarice Starling first appeared in movies during the early
    > 90's, but the book was a few years older.
    >
    > Laurie Strode - Jamie Lee Curtis' character from Halloween -
    > could be interesting. Largely a blank slate character who
    > could be developed far more than she was in the movies.
    >
    > Other than that, I got nothing.

    What about Charlie's Angels? Granted, the show started in the
    70's, but you could go with Chris, Tiffany, and Julie... Bosley,
    of course. And it wouldn't surprise me if Mr. Roark and Charlie
    had crossed paths before...

    Arne
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    "Wayne S Garmil" wrote:
    > Sort
    > of like how both Dr Who and Blakes's 7 had a crossover (both ont eh
    > same space station at the same time), but expect for the one "passing
    > at a crosspoint in the hallways", the two groups never met even though
    > the actions of the others were refected in both stories ("unexplained
    > unseen events" that occurs in the other show).

    When was that, exactly? I can't recall it from either show.

    --
    David Meadows
    I've got nothing to say today

    In article <419d1213$0$33640$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>,
    David Meadows <david@no.spam.here.uk> wrote:
    >"Wayne S Garmil" wrote:
    >> Sort
    >> of like how both Dr Who and Blakes's 7 had a crossover (both ont eh
    >> same space station at the same time), but expect for the one "passing
    >> at a crosspoint in the hallways", the two groups never met even though
    >> the actions of the others were refected in both stories ("unexplained
    >> unseen events" that occurs in the other show).
    >
    >When was that, exactly? I can't recall it from either show.

    I'm pretty sure some of the props made a cross over (the Police helmets
    from the first B7 appear in Dr Who (I don't recall which episode))

    --
    Michael
    NPC rights activist | Nameless Abominations are people too.

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:17:20 GMT, Sea Wasp
    <seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:

    >Dan Childers wrote:
    >> Action campaign idea:
    >>
    >> OK, so John Rambo, the A-Team, and Bruce Leeroy
    >> (from "The Last Dragon") have been summoned by a
    >> mysterious patron. (Any suggestions on who else might
    >> be summoned?)
    >
    > You need fast transportation. Stringfellow Hawke and Dominic Santini,
    >Airwolf.

    Not to mention air support from Blue Thunder and Goose & Maverick's
    F-16.

    And for funky transport... how about the aircraft carrier from "The
    Final Countdown" with Kirk Douglas? A time-travelling carrier is my
    personal dream...

    -----
    "There'll be someone else sitting here for Comedy Central.
    And that person... or woman... will have to face the fact
    that this is the network built on... South Park."
    - Craig Kilborn, The Daily Show
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    MSH wrote:
    > BRAINS
    > ***** Macgyver (Macgyver)

    Finally someone able to spell MacGyver's name almost
    correctly, although it still bothers me when people reveal
    his first name, since it is such a well kept secret.

    > Rollie Tyler and Leo McCarthy (F/X)

    Angela Ramirez was quite useful in the TV show, although
    IIRC she didn't do much in the original movies (to the point
    where she might not even have had a last name).

    --
    Peter Knutsen
    sagatafl.org

    Dan Childers wrote:
    > Action campaign idea:
    >
    > OK, so John Rambo, the A-Team, and Bruce Leeroy
    > (from "The Last Dragon") have been summoned by a
    > mysterious patron. (Any suggestions on who else might
    > be summoned?)
    >
    > He enters: "I am your host, Mr. Roark. I have called
    > you all here because of the aliens that have recently
    > come to our planet. They claim to come in peace. I hope
    > that it is so. But I have my doubts about these...
    > Visitors."

    There was a remake of Mission Impossible in the 80's. It
    only ran for one or two seasons, IIRC, but was actually
    pretty good.

    --
    Peter Knutsen
    sagatafl.org

    Peter Meilinger wrote:
    > Jason Kirk <usenet@captain.custard.org> wrote:
    >>Women characters from the 1980s are rather poor and I can't
    >>think of way of getting Red Sonja into the group.
    >
    > Sarah Connor from the Terminator would work. Between the first
    > and second movies, she went from helpless victim to kick-ass
    > heroine. This adventure could be one of her stops along the way.

    She didn't "go". She "self-trained", all the way. Which
    makes adding her in all the more valuable, since there are
    *very* few interesting female characters from that area.

    > I'm trying to think of other 80's-era female characters that
    > could fit. I'm sure there are any number, but damned if my

    I'm not sure there are.

    > brain will let me remember any of them. If you're looking
    > for action/combat types, they were definitely thin on the
    > ground in the 80's.

    What else would you look for?

    > Clarice Starling first appeared in movies during the early
    > 90's, but the book was a few years older.

    Not many years, IIRC. I can go check, but I'd susepct the
    book is from 1990. And anyway Clarice Starling isn't
    particularly competent in Silence of the Lambs, she's just
    driven (which in turn will make her competent in the third
    book).

    [comes back from < www.fantasticfiction.com >]

    Oh, it's from 1988, so Starling can be used, even though
    Lecter is an infinitely more interesting character -
    especially in the 2nd book (he appears in three distinctly
    different versions. I prefer the one in the 2nd book, which
    also happens to be the one that is the least politically
    correct).

    --
    Peter Knutsen
    sagatafl.org

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:52:53 -0500, Human Liquid Balloon wrote:

    > On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:17:20 GMT, Sea Wasp
    > <seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Dan Childers wrote:
    >>> Action campaign idea:
    >>>
    >>> OK, so John Rambo, the A-Team, and Bruce Leeroy (from "The Last
    >>> Dragon") have been summoned by a mysterious patron. (Any suggestions on
    >>> who else might be summoned?)
    >>
    >> You need fast transportation. Stringfellow Hawke and Dominic Santini,
    >>Airwolf.
    >
    > Not to mention air support from Blue Thunder and Goose & Maverick's F-16.

    The F-16 Falcon isn't known for either having a two man crew or being
    able to operate from an aircraft carrier[1].

    Are you perhaps thinking of the F-14 Tomcat?

    [1] Although the fighter that lost the contract to the F-16 can:
    Further development of the YF-17 would result in it's adoption by the US
    Navy as the F/A-18.

    --
    Phoenix
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 01:50:18 -0500, Rick Pikul <rwpikul@sympatico.ca>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:52:53 -0500, Human Liquid Balloon wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:17:20 GMT, Sea Wasp
    >> <seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:

    >>> You need fast transportation. Stringfellow Hawke and Dominic Santini,
    >>>Airwolf.
    >>
    >> Not to mention air support from Blue Thunder and Goose & Maverick's F-16.
    >
    > The F-16 Falcon isn't known for either having a two man crew or being
    >able to operate from an aircraft carrier[1].
    >
    > Are you perhaps thinking of the F-14 Tomcat?

    Damn, yeah... that's the one I meant. Been a long time since I was
    into military avionics.

    -----
    "There'll be someone else sitting here for Comedy Central.
    And that person... or woman... will have to face the fact
    that this is the network built on... South Park."
    - Craig Kilborn, The Daily Show
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    Rick Pikul wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:52:53 -0500, Human Liquid Balloon wrote:
    >

    >>On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:17:20 GMT, Sea Wasp
    >><seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:

    >>> You need fast transportation. Stringfellow Hawke and Dominic Santini,
    >>>Airwolf.
    >>
    >>Not to mention air support from Blue Thunder and Goose & Maverick's F-16.

    You could have Steve Austin and Jaime Sommers too; there were several
    Bionic Movies in the '80s.

    --
    Sea Wasp
    /^\

    A couple of philosophical notes: To capture the spirit of Moore's LXG,
    it's probably a good idea to collect solo heroes, rather than ensemble
    casts or portions of them. Getting these individualists to work together
    (or not) is a major theme of the original comic, and one that could work
    well with 1980s heroes too.

    Ideally, you'd also want well-known heroes, archetypes if possible.
    LXG's appeal relies heavily on name recognition, so the "bigger" the
    better. In general, I'd go with a bigger name over a better fit, because
    a bit of internal strife is entirely appropriate.

    MSH wrote:
    > TOUGH GUY
    > John McLane (Die Hard)
    > 'Dirty' Harry Callahan (The Dead Pool version)
    > Lt. Hiram Coffey (the Navy SEAL from The Abyss)

    I'd drop Coffey (not famous enough) and add Martin Riggs (Lethal
    Weapon). McLane, Dirty Harry, and Riggs are all great examples of the
    tough, tenacious, loose cannon cop. Alas, Riggs is a buddy-movie
    character who might not work transplanted to a new team. McLane is my
    personal favorite, but Dirty Harry is probably better for the LXG gag,
    because he has the best name recognition. On the other hand, Dirty Harry
    might overlap Rambo too much.

    If you just want tough, without the renegade cop angle, Rocky Balboa
    would make a great pick. However, with Rambo that'd give you "Stallone's
    Greatest Hits," which would unbalance the story.

    > MORE THEN HUMAN
    > The Terminator (Terminator)
    > The Predator (Predator)
    > Micheal Myers (Halloween)

    Only the Terminator works as a potential hero, and the Connor family is
    integral to his story. I'd recommend Johnny Smith (The Dead Zone) or
    maybe an "everyman" superhero like Peter Parker (Spiderman).

    > TOYS
    > Ralph Hanley (The Greatest American Hero)
    > Peter Venkman, Raymond Stantz, Egon Spengler (Ghostbusters)

    Bruce Wayne (Batman) looks like a great archetypal choice for a gadgets
    guy with strong investigative skills. Also, the Bat offers an Alan Moore
    homage element; Moore re-defined the character in the 80s.

    > BRAINS
    > Angus Macgyver (Macgyver)
    > Rollie Tyler and Leo McCarthy (F/X)
    > Chris Knight (Val Kilmer's character in Real Genius)

    All good characters, but only MacGyver has major name recognition, and
    he'd overlap significantly with the "toys" category. To emphasize
    differences, it'd be better to go with a purely deductive, locked-room-
    mystery hero, a modern Sherlock Holmes. While I don't particularly like
    their shows, Jessica Fletcher (Murder, She Wrote) and Ben Matlock
    (Matlock) are better examples of the archetype, with less niche
    invasion. Columbo would be a great choice if he were a 1980s hero, but
    the show seems to faded away in the late 70s, with a 90s revival.

    > GUMSHOE
    > Thomas Magnum (Magnum PI)
    > Maddie Hayes and David Addison (Moonlighting)
    > Sonny Crockett and Ricardo Tubbs (Miami Vice)

    Magnum is the closest to a solo hero here, and even he has a strong
    "buddy" element to his show. The 1980s didn't go for the solo detective
    much, preferring odd couples (Moonlighting, Miami Vice, Remington
    Steele) and ensembles (Magnum, many cop dramas). Dunno if there are any
    examples good enough to fill the archetype without overlapping one of
    the other characters.

    The team should also have some kind of stealthy hero (like the Invisible
    Man) or an exotic hero (like Captain Nemo). Wayne and McLane may cover
    the stealthy angle well enough already, so an exotic hero would offer
    more diversity. Ideally, you'd want some combination of male, non-white,
    non-American, and anti-hero. Unfortunately, I can't think of any good
    examples from the 1980s.

    Here's one possible team:

    John Rambo (First Blood) - angry hero
    John McLane (Die Hard) - tough, wisecracking hero
    Johnny Smith (Dead Zone) - supernatural hero
    Bruce Wayne (Batman) - resourceful hero with a secret
    Jessica Fletcher (Murder, She Wrote) - smart hero and "token female"
    ? - exotic hero

    Of course, the story would begin when McLane decides to take a Christmas
    vacation someplace quiet, well away from terrorists, like Cabot Cove,
    Maine.
    --
    Bradd W. Szonye
    http://www.szonye.com/bradd

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 19:02:00 GMT, "Bradd W. Szonye"
    <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:

    >Here's one possible team:
    >
    >John Rambo (First Blood) - angry hero
    >John McLane (Die Hard) - tough, wisecracking hero
    >Johnny Smith (Dead Zone) - supernatural hero
    >Bruce Wayne (Batman) - resourceful hero with a secret
    >Jessica Fletcher (Murder, She Wrote) - smart hero and "token female"
    >? - exotic hero

    For the exotic hero, how about Scarface? If you look at the League,
    half of them are essentially villains.

    For that matter, if you did a combination of heroes and villains for
    the League, you might come up with something like this:

    Scarface - Assassin
    John McClane - Combat specialist/tactician
    "Nada" (Roddy Piper in They Live) - Combat specialist
    Ash - Combat specialist
    Jessica Fletcher - Leader, detective
    Reggie (From the Phantasm series) - Weaponsmith
    "Keys" (from E.T.) - government liason

    >Of course, the story would begin when McLane decides to take a Christmas
    >vacation someplace quiet, well away from terrorists, like Cabot Cove,
    >Maine.

    Or pretty much ANYWHERE in Maine, if you read Stephen King.

    On one of the alt.movies groups we posted various life lessons we
    learned from movies. Mine were:

    Don't EVER vacation in Maine
    Don't turn around when you're being chased by someone with a chainsaw
    - you will inevitable trip, fall, and get diced.
    If an animal (or dinosaur) is looking at you weird, get the hell out
    of there.
    Don't EVER vacation in the woods near a paper manufacturer, summer
    camp, or a cabin where its owner is deciphering arcane books.

    Etc. Fun stuff.

    -----
    "There'll be someone else sitting here for Comedy Central.
    And that person... or woman... will have to face the fact
    that this is the network built on... South Park."
    - Craig Kilborn, The Daily Show
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    My candidates:

    Bond. JAMES Bond.
    Dirk Pitt (Clive Cussler's long-lived hero from Raise the Titanic!
    et. al.)
    MacGyver
    Jaime Sommers (The Bionic Woman; Movie Series existed in the 80s, and
    it was clear that she spent most of her time away from Stevie)
    Airwolf (Like the Nautilus, it's really the star of the show)
    John MacLane (Die Hard)
    Jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China)

    If you want Arnie in there, I recommend "Dutch" Schaeffer (Predator)
    or John Matrix (Commando); you CANNOT use the Terminator, as he was a
    VILLAIN in the 1980s. Terminator II wasn't until 1990.

    --
    Sea Wasp
    /^\

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 01:02:41 GMT, Sea Wasp
    <seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:

    > My candidates:
    >
    > Bond. JAMES Bond.
    > Dirk Pitt (Clive Cussler's long-lived hero from Raise the Titanic!
    >et. al.)

    Pitt is a good choice... as long as Cussler isn't writing the League
    story with him... otherwise every time the group gets in trouble,
    he'll write himself into the story to come along and save the day.

    > Jaime Sommers (The Bionic Woman; Movie Series existed in the 80s, and
    >it was clear that she spent most of her time away from Stevie)

    And hey - how about Max, the bionic wonder dog? I wanted one of my
    own, still do.

    > Jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China)

    Or almost any Kurt Russell character from a John Carpenter movie.
    Burton, Macready (The Thing), Snake Plissken, etc.

    > If you want Arnie in there, I recommend "Dutch" Schaeffer (Predator)
    >or John Matrix (Commando); you CANNOT use the Terminator, as he was a
    >VILLAIN in the 1980s. Terminator II wasn't until 1990.

    Then you're not familiar with Moore's The League... half of them were
    "villains". Nemo was a pirate. Hyde was a rapist and murderer. Griffin
    was a rapist and pedophile. Mina Murray and Allan Quartermain were the
    only two "good" members.

    -----
    "There'll be someone else sitting here for Comedy Central.
    And that person... or woman... will have to face the fact
    that this is the network built on... South Park."
    - Craig Kilborn, The Daily Show
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    Sea Wasp wrote:

    > My candidates:
    >
    > Bond. JAMES Bond.
    > Dirk Pitt (Clive Cussler's long-lived hero from Raise the Titanic!
    > et. al.)
    > MacGyver
    > Jaime Sommers (The Bionic Woman; Movie Series existed in the 80s,
    > and it was clear that she spent most of her time away from Stevie)
    > Airwolf (Like the Nautilus, it's really the star of the show)
    > John MacLane (Die Hard)
    > Jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China)

    Arg...Jack Burton. Good call! I *just* saw that again the other day.
    How could I have left it off my list? Also Egg Shen, if you need some
    magic action.

    I thought about adding Snake Plissken (Escape from New York), but I
    didn't think that a future hero would count. OTOH that would open the
    door to all kinds of great characters (Mad Max... Ripley...)

    > If you want Arnie in there, I recommend "Dutch" Schaeffer (Predator)
    > or John Matrix (Commando); you CANNOT use the Terminator, as he was a
    > VILLAIN in the 1980s. Terminator II wasn't until 1990.

    Have you read or seen LXG?!? Half of them *are* villains! All you need
    is the right story hook. The Terminator's primary function is to
    protect the 'Skynet' future. If the Visitors show up and are not part
    of its known history, it would have to defeat them, just to get history
    back on track.

    I thought about adding Dutch Schaeffer, but figured the Predators would
    be a natural fit. After all, the V are threatening their best game
    preserve.

    Of course for a nice circular reference you could use the Rorschach or
    Nite Owl from The Watchmen. Not TV/Movie, and not even in the same
    world, but maybe worth it for the author alone.

    MSH
  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 01:02:41 GMT, Sea Wasp
    <seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:

    > My candidates:
    >
    > Bond. JAMES Bond.
    > Dirk Pitt (Clive Cussler's long-lived hero from Raise the Titanic!
    >et. al.)

    Bond and Dirk Pitt are a bit redundant.

    > MacGyver
    > Jaime Sommers (The Bionic Woman; Movie Series existed in the 80s, and
    >it was clear that she spent most of her time away from Stevie)
    > Airwolf (Like the Nautilus, it's really the star of the show)
    > John MacLane (Die Hard)
    > Jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China)
    >
    > If you want Arnie in there, I recommend "Dutch" Schaeffer (Predator)
    >or John Matrix (Commando); you CANNOT use the Terminator, as he was a
    >VILLAIN in the 1980s.

    Whether a character is a hero or a villain hardly matters. Most of
    the members of the LEOG were in fact villains. Mr. Hyde, Griffin and
    Nemo were all criminals, and Hyde and Griffin were insane.
    If you really wanted to be faithful to the concept you could include
    characters like Jaws.
  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:29:39 -0500, Human Liquid Balloon
    <yourdad@isgay.org> wrote:

    >Don't EVER vacation in Maine
    >Don't turn around when you're being chased by someone with a chainsaw
    >- you will inevitable trip, fall, and get diced.

    Which in fact is good advice. Looking back isn't the way to win a
    footrace.
  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    >You could have Steve Austin and Jaime Sommers too; there were >several Bionic
    Movies in the '80s.

    Plus, they probably weren't Y2K compliant.
  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    Human Liquid Balloon wrote:

    > Then you're not familiar with Moore's The League... half of them were
    > "villains".

    I'm quite familiar with it, but there's no way to MAKE the Terminator
    work with you the way they got Hyde to, and the way they got the
    Invisible Man to for a while. He'll just Terminate anyone in his path.
    And he's GOOD at that. (I suspect he'd trash the entire city of New
    York trying to kill of Maclane and end up screwed by some MacGyver trick)

    --
    Sea Wasp
    /^\

    David Johnston wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 01:02:41 GMT, Sea Wasp
    > <seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:
    >

    >> My candidates:
    >>
    >> Bond. JAMES Bond.
    >> Dirk Pitt (Clive Cussler's long-lived hero from Raise the Titanic!
    >>et. al.)
    >

    > Bond and Dirk Pitt are a bit redundant.

    But they work so well together! (Night Probe)

    >> MacGyver
    >> Jaime Sommers (The Bionic Woman; Movie Series existed in the 80s, and
    >>it was clear that she spent most of her time away from Stevie)
    >> Airwolf (Like the Nautilus, it's really the star of the show)
    >> John MacLane (Die Hard)
    >> Jack Burton (Big Trouble in Little China)
    >>
    >> If you want Arnie in there, I recommend "Dutch" Schaeffer (Predator)
    >>or John Matrix (Commando); you CANNOT use the Terminator, as he was a
    >>VILLAIN in the 1980s.
    >

    > Whether a character is a hero or a villain hardly matters. Most of
    > the members of the LEOG were in fact villains. Mr. Hyde, Griffin and
    > Nemo were all criminals, and Hyde and Griffin were insane.

    The Terminator cannot be reasoned with. It has a mission that it must
    carry out, and it'll kill everyone who tries to interfere with that
    mission. This makes it singularly unsuited for the Hyde or Griffin
    approach.

    > If you really wanted to be faithful to the concept you could include
    > characters like Jaws.

    Jaws would be great. He could serve a sort of Hyde slot. Except he's
    a lot more personable.

    No, WAIT! The Incredible Hulk -- TV series! It ran up through 1982
    and had several movies subsequent to that. Dr. David Banner for the
    League!!!

    --
    Sea Wasp
    /^\

    Oh no! It's Bradd W. Szonye!
    > Bruce Wayne (Batman) looks like a great archetypal choice for a gadgets
    > guy with strong investigative skills. Also, the Bat offers an Alan Moore
    > homage element; Moore re-defined the character in the 80s.

    Huh?

    Apart from The Killing Joke I can't even think of anything centered on
    Batman that Moore *wrote*, much less anything that redefined the
    character.
  35. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    "Jeff Heikkinen" <no.way@jose.org> wrote :
    > Oh no! It's Bradd W. Szonye!
    > > Bruce Wayne (Batman) looks like a great archetypal choice for a gadgets
    > > guy with strong investigative skills. Also, the Bat offers an Alan Moore
    > > homage element; Moore re-defined the character in the 80s.
    >
    > Huh?
    >
    > Apart from The Killing Joke I can't even think of anything centered on
    > Batman that Moore *wrote*, much less anything that redefined the
    > character.

    Batman annual #11

    -- Alan-Moore-Completists-R-Us

    --
    David Meadows
    "Ohhh-kayyy... Anyone got any kind of non-Zen plan?"

    Jeff Heikkinen <no.way@jose.org> wrote:
    > Oh no! It's Bradd W. Szonye!
    >> Bruce Wayne (Batman) looks like a great archetypal choice for a gadgets
    >> guy with strong investigative skills. Also, the Bat offers an Alan Moore
    >> homage element; Moore re-defined the character in the 80s.
    >
    > Huh?
    >
    > Apart from The Killing Joke I can't even think of anything centered on
    > Batman that Moore *wrote*, much less anything that redefined the
    > character.

    For some reason, I got Moore and Miller confused. Mea culpa.
    --
    Bradd W. Szonye
    http://www.szonye.com/bradd

    Oh no! It's David Meadows!
    > "Jeff Heikkinen" <no.way@jose.org> wrote :
    > > Oh no! It's Bradd W. Szonye!
    > > > Bruce Wayne (Batman) looks like a great archetypal choice for a gadgets
    > > > guy with strong investigative skills. Also, the Bat offers an Alan Moore
    > > > homage element; Moore re-defined the character in the 80s.
    > >
    > > Huh?
    > >
    > > Apart from The Killing Joke I can't even think of anything centered on
    > > Batman that Moore *wrote*, much less anything that redefined the
    > > character.
    >
    > Batman annual #11

    Okay, good point. (I've got to get George Freeman to sign my copy of
    that or something - his wife plays in my D&D group and we occasionally
    play at their place.) But if that redefined a character, it was
    Clayface, not Batman!
  38. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    Oh no! It's Bradd W. Szonye!
    > Jeff Heikkinen <no.way@jose.org> wrote:
    > > Oh no! It's Bradd W. Szonye!
    > >> Bruce Wayne (Batman) looks like a great archetypal choice for a gadgets
    > >> guy with strong investigative skills. Also, the Bat offers an Alan Moore
    > >> homage element; Moore re-defined the character in the 80s.
    > >
    > > Huh?
    > >
    > > Apart from The Killing Joke I can't even think of anything centered on
    > > Batman that Moore *wrote*, much less anything that redefined the
    > > character.
    >
    > For some reason, I got Moore and Miller confused. Mea culpa.

    You know, it took about ten minutes after I posted for me to realize
    that was probably what had happened. NP.
  39. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    Such an interesting topic:

    My 1980's league...

    Jack Burton
    Remo Williams
    James Bond
    MacGyver
    Jaime Sommers
    Rambo
    John Mclean
    Jean Claud Van Damn (maybe his character from Cyborg?)
    Indiana Jones

    Loaded with some good action characters, but perhaps a tad shy on the
    intellect. Guess Macgyver will have to carry that burden.

    Ryan S. Johnson
    Guild of Blades Publishing Group
    http://www.guildofblades.com
  40. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    Just jumping in here, but.............doesn't anybody read anymore?
    Virtually every example is from tv or movies.

    Also, unless I'm missing my guess (I've never read the LoEG series),
    the whole concept is that most of these characters are anti-heroes or
    out-and-out villains. At most, there should be TWO out-and-out heroes
    involved, and the others should outnumber them by at least two to one
    and possibly three to one.

    So I'm going to modify the rules a little. To be part of this LoEG:

    The character must have appeared in literature BEFORE s/he appeared in
    film, but this can be any form of literature: book, short story,
    play, comic book.

    The character must have at least one original story produced/published
    during the 1980s. For the purposes of this rule, an adaptation of a
    book for the screen counts as an original story, but a remake of an
    existing film does not (the James Bond movies count, but a remake of
    Dracula doesn't).

    Two heroes, four anti-heroes or villains.

    And my team:

    James Bond (his first novel predates the first movie by nine years, so
    he qualifies)

    V.I Warshawski

    Diva, Queen of the Banshees (from the play, "Starmites"--anti-hero)

    John Rambo ("First Blood" was written a decade before the movie came
    out--ant-hero)

    Rincewind (from Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" series--anti-hero)

    Darkseid (Villain. I know he was first created in the 70s, but he
    started really becoming a Force in the DC universe in the 80s.
    However, for the purposes of character balance, he has to be seriously
    depowered).

    We could use another anti-hero to provide the cash. I wanted to use
    John Hammond from Jurassic Park, but the novel was published in 1990.

    Ideas?
  41. Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

    Hum, good points on all counts..

    The League was a bit anti-social..

    Why would they want to save the planet? Other than to save their own
    asses?

    Agreed about them being for the most part atleast from a human society,
    are anti-heros.

    Quartermain = Environmentalist or rugged indivualist, who cares little
    for human tech, living on top of each other like rats human society.
    Harkness = even if she does not seem to see humans as animals to be fed
    on, she is likely anti-social or atleast solitary?
    Dorian Grey = rich dilitant.. Cares for little but pleasure.
    Nemo = Hates the current world as it is, into high tech stuff, but
    seperates himself and friends from normal human sick society.

    Mike

    Jim Longo wrote:

    > Just jumping in here, but.............doesn't anybody read anymore?
    > Virtually every example is from tv or movies.
    >
    > Also, unless I'm missing my guess (I've never read the LoEG series),
    > the whole concept is that most of these characters are anti-heroes or
    > out-and-out villains. At most, there should be TWO out-and-out heroes
    > involved, and the others should outnumber them by at least two to one
    > and possibly three to one.
    >
    > So I'm going to modify the rules a little. To be part of this LoEG:
    >
    > The character must have appeared in literature BEFORE s/he appeared in
    > film, but this can be any form of literature: book, short story,
    > play, comic book.
    >
    > The character must have at least one original story produced/published
    > during the 1980s. For the purposes of this rule, an adaptation of a
    > book for the screen counts as an original story, but a remake of an
    > existing film does not (the James Bond movies count, but a remake of
    > Dracula doesn't).
    >
    > Two heroes, four anti-heroes or villains.
    >
    > And my team:
    >
    > James Bond (his first novel predates the first movie by nine years, so
    > he qualifies)
    >
    > V.I Warshawski
    >
    > Diva, Queen of the Banshees (from the play, "Starmites"--anti-hero)
    >
    > John Rambo ("First Blood" was written a decade before the movie came
    > out--ant-hero)
    >
    > Rincewind (from Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" series--anti-hero)
    >
    > Darkseid (Villain. I know he was first created in the 70s, but he
    > started really becoming a Force in the DC universe in the 80s.
    > However, for the purposes of character balance, he has to be seriously
    > depowered).
    >
    > We could use another anti-hero to provide the cash. I wanted to use
    > John Hammond from Jurassic Park, but the novel was published in 1990.
    >
    > Ideas?

Games Video Games