Other users access my apps?

This seems simple, but I am the only admin on our computer w/ 3 kids on
limited access. How can I give them access on programs that I have (like
Call of Duty) on my user account?
3 answers Last reply
More about other users access apps

    Hi,

    Installing and running software in Windows XP by Rick Rogers MS-MVP.
    http://rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Riverbenders wrote:
    > This seems simple, but I am the only admin on our computer w/ 3 kids on
    > limited access. How can I give them access on programs that I have (like
    > Call of Duty) on my user account?

    You may experience some problems if the software was designed for
    Win9x/Me, or if it was intended for WinNT/2K/XP, but was improperly
    designed. Quite simply, the application doesn't "know" how to handle
    individual user profiles with differing security permissions levels, or
    the application is designed to make to make changes to "off-limits"
    sections of the Windows registry or protected Windows system folders.

    For example, saved data are often stored in a sub-folder under the
    application's folder within C:\Program Files - a place where no
    inexperienced or limited user should ever have write permissions.

    It may even be that the software requires "write" access to parts
    of the registry or protected systems folders/files that are not normally
    accessible to regular users. (This *won't* occur if the application is
    properly written.) If this does prove to be the case, however, you're
    often left with three options: Either grant the necessary users
    appropriate higher access privileges (either as Power Users or local
    administrators), explicitly grant normal users elevated privileges to
    the affected folders and/or part(s) or the registry, or replace the
    application with one that was properly designed specifically for
    WinNT/2K/XP.

    Some Programs Do Not Work If You Log On from Limited Account
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307091

    Additionally, here are a couple of tips suggested, in a reply to a
    different post, by MS-MVP Kent W. England:

    "If your game or application works with admin accounts, but not with
    limited accounts, you can fix it to allow limited users to access the
    program files folder with "change" capability rather than "read" which
    is the default.

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:c

    where "appfolder" is the folder where the application is installed.

    If you wish to undo these changes, then run

    C:\>cacls "Program Files\appfolder" /e /t /p users:r

    If you still have a problem with running the program or saving
    settings on limited accounts, you may need to change permissions on
    the registry keys. Run regedit.exe and go to HKLM\Software\vendor\app,
    where "vendor\app" is the key that the software vendor used for your
    specific program. Change the permissions on this key to allow Users
    full control."

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Riverbenders wrote:
    > This seems simple, but I am the only admin on our computer w/ 3 kids on
    > limited access. How can I give them access on programs that I have (like
    > Call of Duty) on my user account?
    copy and paste the program files to their folder in docs and settings

Apps Microsoft Windows XP