Sign in with
Your question

I Need a Samsung LCD Monitor Recommendation

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 16, 2006 5:22:07 AM

I had to RMA my crt monitor back to Samsung. They called back telling me that they can’t replace it now but will offer me a repair or an upgrade. The repair will cost me shipping to NJ (probably 40 bucks) but they will ship back for free, but I end up with a less then stellar CRT monitor. I would like to see what the upgrades will cost but they won’t give me prices until I tell them which monitor I am interested in. They won’t even give me a general idea of what I can expect for credit. So now I have to pick three monitors that I would be interested in upgrading too and then call back. They have to be Samsung or else I can’t get them through the upgrade program. Please don’t respond back telling me to go buy a Sony since Samsung WILL NOT RMA back a competitors product. I am a gamer and would be looking for a widescreen option in the 20" range and LCD. Can you throw me a bone here and give me a few ideas on maybe a high end Samsung, a middle end Samsung and then a consumer choice award option from Samsung? I would certainly appreciate it.
December 16, 2006 7:52:37 AM

Hey Trader,

Here is a link for the Samsung 204B. A lot of folks recommend it because of its 1600x1200 resolution, 800:1 contrast ration, 5 ms response time, and 20.1' screen size. With those specs, and a $350.00 price tag, I would probably consider this a "mid-range" monitor but some folks would probably disagree.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1682...

Hope this helps a little.

Rob

Oops - sorry Dude. Just realized that widescreen was part of the wish list.

Here is a 20 inch widescreen

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

And a 21 inch Samsung Widescreen

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

I like the 21 inch one better, not just because ot the more ample viewing area but also the 1000:1 contrast ratio.
December 16, 2006 9:44:34 AM

Tom's just did a write up on the 215TW and although it certainly didnt get bad marks it didnt get glowing ones either. I may have to consider that my middle of the road choice. Then again all of this depends on what Samsung offers me as a "DEAL." They may consider a 10 dollar rebate as an upgrade option but I certainly dont. Then again I was onced offered an upgrade from Dacor years ago for a digital diver computer since my analog one broke. I bought my old dive computer on ebay for about 75 dollars only to find it was broke. Dacor offer me an upgrade for about 200 dollars and my old computer for an extremely nice new 800 dollar digital one. So maybe I might get lucky...I'll know by Monday.

Any other suggestings on a high end model and maybe a decent lower end model?
Related resources
December 16, 2006 11:28:24 AM

Quote:
"... I am a gamer and would be looking for a widescreen option in the 20" range and LCD. Can you throw me a bone here and give me a few ideas on maybe a high end Samsung, a middle end Samsung and then a consumer choice award option from Samsung? I would certainly appreciate it.

If you are *primarily* concerned with gamer response times, there are no "high-end or middle-end" Samsungs (not in other brands, either).... only low end with TN panels.

The closest thing to mid-range in a widescreen is the 215T. Or if you give up on the widescreen, try the 971P.
December 17, 2006 2:19:46 AM

20" huh? you sure not 19"?

well, I dont see any fast Samsung models in the 20", but there is the 19":
Samsung 930BF (TN panel)
consider this the low end; however, it is also the fastest Samsung that I will mention in terms of response time; however, it also is not good for people who are picky when it comes to image editing due to it being 6-bit dithered.

Next choices?
Consider these mid range:
Samsung 214T 15-25 20+- 690
Sams 215TW 20-25 20 480
They are both PVA panels, which mean better viewing angles and 8-bit non-dithered color for image editing use. However, these panels are slower than the TN one -- in fact, they are around twice as slow, and you may or may not notice it. There are some TN panels in the 20" size, but all the Samsung ones are just as slow as these two PVA ones, so I won't even recommend them.

High end? Other models? IPS based models?
Don't know. Don't have any on the list. Maybe other people have some suggestions or know of some IPS based Samsung monitors.
December 17, 2006 11:54:38 PM

are the flat panels still not yet comparable with CRT yet? I thought the 4ms or lower panels could refresh nearly as fast as a CRT. Maybe I just need to stick with the tried and true CRT. I use it for games and internet only. I use the computer to play video, but I never watch it on the computer I only pipe the signal 15 feet away to my HD set. I wouldn’t mind a slightly slower refresh if I could get widescreen or sharper colors but games like HL2 or BF2142 will seriously make you pay for a slow monitor.
December 18, 2006 2:10:56 AM

The problem with LCD's is primarily the refresh rates. Frankly they suck. Whereas CRTs can easily achieve 75 even 80hz, flat panels have a hard time doing so at high resolutions. Response time could be improved a bit on LCDs, but even 4ms GTG is outstanding.

Without a doubt though, LCD's are a lot better at colors than CRTs. So if you can sacrifice refresh rate, I'd recommend an LCD. But beware only 1 or 2 panels on the market are capable of 60hz at 1600x1200 or over... and Samsung doesn't have any of them.
!