Standby on idle not working

I'm having a problem with a Dell Dimension XPS Gen4. This machine refuses
to go into standby on idle. It will standby just fine if I force it through
a power button press or through the normal UI, but despite my best efforts
I'm unable to get it to standby while not being used. The screen saver and
monitor off stuff works fine.

I'm assuming that Dell put something on here that's causing enough CPU or
disk activity to keep the machine from powering down, but I've installed
just about everything I can and still no dice. Is there any easy way to
figure out what's keeping this machine out of idle? Maybe a perfmon trick
or something?
4 answers Last reply
More about standby idle working

    I will list an experience that I have, even today, with Asus M/B's
    (A7N8X-Deluxe rev. 2)

    These boards will NOT go into standby unless I go into device manager and
    alter the mouse properties so that I disallow the mouse to bring the
    computer out of standby. In other words, I have to remove the check from the
    box in power management (in the mouse driver) to get the darn M'B's to go to
    sleep. I need to do this for both MS mice and Logitech mice.

    So, you have to look around a bit. I found my problem (years ago) after
    about 4 days of troubleshooting the system. And it was such a simple fix.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    "Philip Lafornara" <phil.msusenet@lafornara.com> wrote in message
    > I'm having a problem with a Dell Dimension XPS Gen4. This machine refuses
    > to go into standby on idle. It will standby just fine if I force it
    > through a power button press or through the normal UI, but despite my best
    > efforts I'm unable to get it to standby while not being used. The screen
    > saver and monitor off stuff works fine.
    >
    > I'm assuming that Dell put something on here that's causing enough CPU or
    > disk activity to keep the machine from powering down, but I've installed
    > just about everything I can and still no dice. Is there any easy way to
    > figure out what's keeping this machine out of idle? Maybe a perfmon trick
    > or something?

    http://www.rickrogers.org/standby.htm

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Philip Lafornara wrote:
    > I'm having a problem with a Dell Dimension XPS Gen4. This machine refuses
    > to go into standby on idle. It will standby just fine if I force it through
    > a power button press or through the normal UI, but despite my best efforts
    > I'm unable to get it to standby while not being used. The screen saver and
    > monitor off stuff works fine.
    >
    > I'm assuming that Dell put something on here that's causing enough CPU or
    > disk activity to keep the machine from powering down, but I've installed
    > just about everything I can and still no dice. Is there any easy way to
    > figure out what's keeping this machine out of idle? Maybe a perfmon trick
    > or something?

    No it happend to my HP omnibook XE3 it sorted itself out somehow. I dont
    know.

    No !

    >I will list an experience that I have, even today, with Asus M/B's
    >(A7N8X-Deluxe rev. 2)
    >
    > These boards will NOT go into standby unless I go into device manager and
    > alter the mouse properties so that I disallow the mouse to bring the
    > computer out of standby. In other words, I have to remove the check from
    > the box in power management (in the mouse driver) to get the darn M'B's to
    > go to sleep. I need to do this for both MS mice and Logitech mice.
    >
    > So, you have to look around a bit. I found my problem (years ago) after
    > about 4 days of troubleshooting the system. And it was such a simple fix.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >

    > "Philip Lafornara" <phil.msusenet@lafornara.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm having a problem with a Dell Dimension XPS Gen4. This machine
    >> refuses to go into standby on idle. It will standby just fine if I force
    >> it through a power button press or through the normal UI, but despite my
    >> best efforts I'm unable to get it to standby while not being used. The
    >> screen saver and monitor off stuff works fine.
    >>
    >> I'm assuming that Dell put something on here that's causing enough CPU or
    >> disk activity to keep the machine from powering down, but I've installed
    >> just about everything I can and still no dice. Is there any easy way to
    >> figure out what's keeping this machine out of idle? Maybe a perfmon
    >> trick or something?

Windows XP