transfering 8mm video cassettes

I have a numer of old 8mm video cassetes that I would like to put on CD's.
Is that possible using the cd burner ? Do I need special softwear or can I
just use a video/audio cable ? Do I need a special kind of CD ? Would
appreciate any help you can give.
Thanks,
--
fred
3 answers Last reply

    Hi,

    Yes, it's possible. You need a video capture card to start with to connect
    the video cassette player to the system and display/record the footage from
    the tapes. Then a burning program that supports/converts the files created
    into a Video CD (and standard blank CD can be used for this). Most modern
    DVD players can handle the Video CD format.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    fred wrote:
    > I have a numer of old 8mm video cassetes that I would like to put on CD's.
    > Is that possible using the cd burner ? Do I need special softwear or can I
    > just use a video/audio cable ? Do I need a special kind of CD ? Would
    > appreciate any help you can give.
    > Thanks,
    umm, I think you need a TV tuner, then use nero to play it directly from
    the camera and record it straight to a CD/DVD.

    I projected my 8mm onto a screen and captured with camcorder. Make sure the
    Camcorder is right beside the projector or the picture will skew. I then put
    it on CD using a capture card.

    "fred" <fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a numer of old 8mm video cassetes that I would like to put on CD's.
    > Is that possible using the cd burner ? Do I need special softwear or can I
    > just use a video/audio cable ? Do I need a special kind of CD ? Would
    > appreciate any help you can give.
    > Thanks,
    > --
    > fred