Cydoor at MSDN?

July 3, 2005 4:01:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

When you go to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/05/07/Advanced...
Download the code for this article: AdvancedBasics0507.exe (152KB)
But when I try to install, I get PestPatrol warning me about
Cydoor.TOPicks.a,
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=45... which I
understand is adware. So is that executable contaminated? Or is
PestPatrol wrongly flagging this .exe?
I refrained form installing the program, but I'm curious, is it really
adware? I previously thought the site was safe.

--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||

More about : cydoor msdn

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 4:01:32 AM

Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:
> When you go to
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/05/07/Advanced...
> Download the code for this article: AdvancedBasics0507.exe (152KB)
> But when I try to install, I get PestPatrol warning me about
> Cydoor.TOPicks.a,
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=45... which I
> understand is adware. So is that executable contaminated? Or is
> PestPatrol wrongly flagging this .exe?
> I refrained form installing the program, but I'm curious, is it really
> adware? I previously thought the site was safe.

Looks clean to me-scanned it at VirusTotal and Jotti's-nothing
-max
Registered Linux User #393236
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 4:01:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

-- Nehmo --
Did you try opening it?
It's a Microsoft Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor. Can those scanners see
into that type of file?
--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||
July 3, 2005 8:14:26 AM

nehmo54@hotmail.com wrote:
> -- Nehmo --
> Did you try opening it?
> It's a Microsoft Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor. Can those scanners see
> into that type of file?

No I didn't open it-just submitted-I believe the scanners are capable
of checking all types of packers.
VirusTotal-uses 19 different scanners
Jotti-uses 14 (I have links in the "Tools" section on my site)
-max
Registered Linux User #393236
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 11:43:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

No idea.
you may contact MSDN.
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/contactusMSDN?sd=msdn

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

> When you go to
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/05/07/Advanced...
> Download the code for this article: AdvancedBasics0507.exe (152KB)
> But when I try to install, I get PestPatrol warning me about
> Cydoor.TOPicks.a,
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=45... which I
> understand is adware. So is that executable contaminated? Or is
> PestPatrol wrongly flagging this .exe?
> I refrained form installing the program, but I'm curious, is it really
> adware? I previously thought the site was safe.

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 6:11:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I emailed MSDN and I tried to submit to PestPatrol
http://snipurl.com/g0br (didn't work). One or the other has a
problem. I scanned the file too; it comes up clean. But that was with
the un-extracted file, and scanners often don't have the signature of
something if it's new.

I'd let the self-extractor run if I had a little more time to play
with this. Cydoor.TOPicks.a isn't deadly - it's just annoying
and somewhat involved to totally remove.
--
Anonymous

!