Cydoor at MSDN?

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

When you go to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/05/07/AdvancedBasics/default.aspx
Download the code for this article: AdvancedBasics0507.exe (152KB)
But when I try to install, I get PestPatrol warning me about
Cydoor.TOPicks.a,
http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453074969 which I
understand is adware. So is that executable contaminated? Or is
PestPatrol wrongly flagging this .exe?
I refrained form installing the program, but I'm curious, is it really
adware? I previously thought the site was safe.

--
|||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||
6 answers Last reply

    Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:
    > When you go to
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/05/07/AdvancedBasics/default.aspx
    > Download the code for this article: AdvancedBasics0507.exe (152KB)
    > But when I try to install, I get PestPatrol warning me about
    > Cydoor.TOPicks.a,
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453074969 which I
    > understand is adware. So is that executable contaminated? Or is
    > PestPatrol wrongly flagging this .exe?
    > I refrained form installing the program, but I'm curious, is it really
    > adware? I previously thought the site was safe.

    Looks clean to me-scanned it at VirusTotal and Jotti's-nothing
    -max
    Registered Linux User #393236
  2. Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    -- Nehmo --
    Did you try opening it?
    It's a Microsoft Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor. Can those scanners see
    into that type of file?
    --
    |||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||
  3. Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    nehmo54@hotmail.com wrote:
    > -- Nehmo --
    > Did you try opening it?
    > It's a Microsoft Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor. Can those scanners see
    > into that type of file?

    No I didn't open it-just submitted-I believe the scanners are capable
    of checking all types of packers.
    VirusTotal-uses 19 different scanners
    Jotti-uses 14 (I have links in the "Tools" section on my site)
    -max
    Registered Linux User #393236
  4. Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    No idea.
    you may contact MSDN.
    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/contactusMSDN?sd=msdn

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:

    > When you go to
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/05/07/AdvancedBasics/default.aspx
    > Download the code for this article: AdvancedBasics0507.exe (152KB)
    > But when I try to install, I get PestPatrol warning me about
    > Cydoor.TOPicks.a,
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453074969 which I
    > understand is adware. So is that executable contaminated? Or is
    > PestPatrol wrongly flagging this .exe?
    > I refrained form installing the program, but I'm curious, is it really
    > adware? I previously thought the site was safe.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I emailed MSDN and I tried to submit to PestPatrol
    http://snipurl.com/g0br (didn't work). One or the other has a
    problem. I scanned the file too; it comes up clean. But that was with
    the un-extracted file, and scanners often don't have the signature of
    something if it's new.

    I'd let the self-extractor run if I had a little more time to play
    with this. Cydoor.TOPicks.a isn't deadly - it's just annoying
    and somewhat involved to totally remove.
    --
    |||||||||||||||| Nehmo Sergheyev ||||||||||||||||
  6. Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,comp.security.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I emailed MSDN and I tried to submit to PestPatrol
    http://snipurl.com/g0br (didn't work). One or the other has a
    problem. I scanned the file too; it comes up clean. But that was with
    the un-extracted file, and scanners often don't have the signature of
    something if it's new.

    I'd let the self-extractor run if I had a little more time to play
    with this. Cydoor.TOPicks.a isn't deadly - it's just annoying
    and somewhat involved to totally remove.
    --

Windows XP