Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I love Hero!

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 6:49:27 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Okay, that ought to wake up anyone who knows me.

Well, I don't LOVE it, but for superhero games it's adequate and it
does certain things well. In particular, I've just run into two things
that Hero/Champions does perfectly well that Aberrant simply cannot
handle: Techie Heroes (Iron Man, etc.) and Variable Point Power Pools.

Anyone have any good ways of handling these for Aberrant?

--
Sea Wasp
/^\
;;;
Live Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/seawasp/

More about : love hero

Anonymous
December 4, 2004 8:14:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

In article <41B133D1.2030501@sgeobviousinc.com>,
Sea Wasp <seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:
>
> Okay, that ought to wake up anyone who knows me.
>
> Well, I don't LOVE it, but for superhero games it's adequate and it
>does certain things well. In particular, I've just run into two things
>that Hero/Champions does perfectly well that Aberrant simply cannot
>handle: Techie Heroes (Iron Man, etc.) and Variable Point Power Pools.
>
> Anyone have any good ways of handling these for Aberrant?

Lack of techies is deliberate for the setting, one of those cases where
a game doesn't try to be universal. And I think the lack of a VPP is also
setting-based.

I *think* Asia Ascendant has some rules for techie stuff, check it out
at http://homepage.mac.com/bbaugh/asas/ (was written before the line was
cancelled, writers bought it back).

Dave Van Domelen, supposes you could try welding Mage-style Spheres onto
Aberrant for VPP.
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 2:58:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Dave Van Domelen wrote:
> In article <41B133D1.2030501@sgeobviousinc.com>,
> Sea Wasp <seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:
>
>> Okay, that ought to wake up anyone who knows me.
>>
>> Well, I don't LOVE it, but for superhero games it's adequate and it
>>does certain things well. In particular, I've just run into two things
>>that Hero/Champions does perfectly well that Aberrant simply cannot
>>handle: Techie Heroes (Iron Man, etc.) and Variable Point Power Pools.
>>
>> Anyone have any good ways of handling these for Aberrant?
>
>
> Lack of techies is deliberate for the setting, one of those cases where
> a game doesn't try to be universal. And I think the lack of a VPP is also
> setting-based.

I wouldn't have so much trouble with it if Aberrant didn't directly
mention some super-tech in PASSING that indicated that having
Mega-Intelligence and so on could indeed allow you to make supergadgetry.

And the lack of a VPP type approach is rather annoying as they
emphasize how a Nova can potentially do "anything", yet to do a lot of
"anythings" would be a lot easier to model if VPP or something like it
was available.

(I'm trying to model a Ki Warrior, and it's a PAIN. You need to start
with SOME mega-stats, but be able to use your ki to do a lot of things
ranging from defense to boosting any or all of your physical stats, to
throwing bolts, to sensing other powerful warriors, etc. Boost only
covers part of it...)


>
> I *think* Asia Ascendant has some rules for techie stuff, check it out
> at http://homepage.mac.com/bbaugh/asas/ (was written before the line was
> cancelled, writers bought it back).

That's cool. I'll take a look.



--
Sea Wasp
/^\
;;;
Live Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/seawasp/
Related resources
December 13, 2004 12:02:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

My original reply to this post seems to have been devoured when my ISP
changed news providers, so I'll try again.

The Aberrant Player's Guide had rules for creating super-tech powered
by the creator's Quantum.
The device's attributes determined how many successes were needed with
the technology skill rolls to create it, which determined how long it
took to build. One of the attributes was how long the device lasted
until it started to fall apart, permanent wasn't an option.

One of the examples is a laser monocle duplicating the creator's laser
vision. The device has Dexterity 4, Quantum 3, Quantum Bolt 5, 3 uses
per scene, 10 point Quantum Pool (drawn from the creator's, and
unrecoverable while it's in the device), usable by other novas and
baselines, functions for 9 months before starting to fade, and a total
of 4 Health Levels and a 3 Soak. These traits add up to the character
needing 49 successes on Intelligence + Mega-Intelligence + Engineering
to create the device.
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 3:58:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

armitageNOSPAM@mhcable.com wrote:
> My original reply to this post seems to have been devoured when my ISP
> changed news providers, so I'll try again.
>
> The Aberrant Player's Guide had rules for creating super-tech powered
> by the creator's Quantum.
> The device's attributes determined how many successes were needed with
> the technology skill rolls to create it, which determined how long it
> took to build. One of the attributes was how long the device lasted
> until it started to fall apart, permanent wasn't an option.

Unfortunately, this is just precisely NOT what I'm looking for. I
want Iron Man et.al., and things like Captain America's shield; in the
other area, I want a VPP behaving schtick so I can do powers like,
say, ki warriors who have power that they can manifest in a number of
different ways.


--
Sea Wasp
/^\
;;;
Live Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/seawasp/
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 5:10:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

In article <41BD921D.2070001@sgeobviousinc.com>,
Sea Wasp <seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:
>armitageNOSPAM@mhcable.com wrote:
>> My original reply to this post seems to have been devoured when my ISP
>> changed news providers, so I'll try again.
>>
>> The Aberrant Player's Guide had rules for creating super-tech powered
>> by the creator's Quantum.
>> The device's attributes determined how many successes were needed with
>> the technology skill rolls to create it, which determined how long it
>> took to build. One of the attributes was how long the device lasted
>> until it started to fall apart, permanent wasn't an option.
>
> Unfortunately, this is just precisely NOT what I'm looking for. I
>want Iron Man et.al., and things like Captain America's shield; in the
>other area, I want a VPP behaving schtick so I can do powers like,
>say, ki warriors who have power that they can manifest in a number of
>different ways.

Have you looked at Tri-Stat? I am fairly sure [1] that the free
96 page download of Tri-Stat is still available from GOO's website. Ignore
(IMO) the Own a Big Mecha rules (which are ims a throw back to an earlier
version) and treat the armor as an Item of Power.

Ki Warriors are easy enough to do in Tri-Stat.



1: I just checked.

--
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/
http://www.marryanamerican.ca
http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 7:54:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Sea Wasp wrote:

> I want a VPP behaving schtick so I can do powers like,
>say, ki warriors who have power that they can manifest in a number of
>different ways.

I think you closest you could probably do something for a VPP in Aberrant is
by taking the various Elemental/Gravitic/etc powers as a baseline, since many
of the techniques you get mimic the effects of level 2 powers. Call the power
whatever you want, assume that it's Level 3 Quantum 5, and you get a number of
techniques equal to your dots in the power, or you can spend double quantum on
techniques you don't know.

Phil
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 10:04:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 12:58:52 GMT, Sea Wasp
<seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:

>armitageNOSPAM@mhcable.com wrote:
>> My original reply to this post seems to have been devoured when my ISP
>> changed news providers, so I'll try again.
>>
>> The Aberrant Player's Guide had rules for creating super-tech powered
>> by the creator's Quantum.
>> The device's attributes determined how many successes were needed with
>> the technology skill rolls to create it, which determined how long it
>> took to build. One of the attributes was how long the device lasted
>> until it started to fall apart, permanent wasn't an option.
>
> Unfortunately, this is just precisely NOT what I'm looking for. I
>want Iron Man et.al.,

Iron Man's pretty much covered.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 1:06:47 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <41BD921D.2070001@sgeobviousinc.com>,
> Sea Wasp <seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:
>
>>armitageNOSPAM@mhcable.com wrote:
>>
>>>My original reply to this post seems to have been devoured when my ISP
>>>changed news providers, so I'll try again.
>>>
>>>The Aberrant Player's Guide had rules for creating super-tech powered
>>>by the creator's Quantum.
>>>The device's attributes determined how many successes were needed with
>>>the technology skill rolls to create it, which determined how long it
>>>took to build. One of the attributes was how long the device lasted
>>>until it started to fall apart, permanent wasn't an option.
>>
>> Unfortunately, this is just precisely NOT what I'm looking for. I
>>want Iron Man et.al., and things like Captain America's shield; in the
>>other area, I want a VPP behaving schtick so I can do powers like,
>>say, ki warriors who have power that they can manifest in a number of
>>different ways.
>
>
> Have you looked at Tri-Stat?

I was talking about doing it in Aberrant. I'm quite aware that using
OTHER systems it's easy to do. Hell, I can MAKE such systems (I did
for D&D, among others).




--
Sea Wasp
/^\
;;;
Live Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/seawasp/
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 1:07:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

David Johnston wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 12:58:52 GMT, Sea Wasp
> <seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:
>
>
>>armitageNOSPAM@mhcable.com wrote:
>>
>>>My original reply to this post seems to have been devoured when my ISP
>>>changed news providers, so I'll try again.
>>>
>>>The Aberrant Player's Guide had rules for creating super-tech powered
>>>by the creator's Quantum.
>>>The device's attributes determined how many successes were needed with
>>>the technology skill rolls to create it, which determined how long it
>>>took to build. One of the attributes was how long the device lasted
>>>until it started to fall apart, permanent wasn't an option.
>>
>> Unfortunately, this is just precisely NOT what I'm looking for. I
>>want Iron Man et.al.,
>
>
> Iron Man's pretty much covered.

Where? Last I know, Tony didn't have to worry that his suit would
evaporate a few months after building it.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\
;;;
Live Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/seawasp/
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 1:08:31 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Phillip Ames wrote:
> Sea Wasp wrote:
>
>
>>I want a VPP behaving schtick so I can do powers like,
>>say, ki warriors who have power that they can manifest in a number of
>>different ways.
>
>
> I think you closest you could probably do something for a VPP in Aberrant is
> by taking the various Elemental/Gravitic/etc powers as a baseline, since many
> of the techniques you get mimic the effects of level 2 powers. Call the power
> whatever you want, assume that it's Level 3 Quantum 5, and you get a number of
> techniques equal to your dots in the power, or you can spend double quantum on
> techniques you don't know.

You mean listing, say, "boost" as one of the power techniques under a
elemental-based power?




--
Sea Wasp
/^\
;;;
Live Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/seawasp/
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 1:50:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Sea Wasp wrote:
> You mean listing, say, "boost" as one of the power techniques under a
>elemental-based power?
>
>

The way the "Control/Mastery" powers work, it'd probably be a slightly nerfed
version, but yeah. I figure that if you can take an individual technique from a
control/mastery type power as a level 2 power, you can take a level 2 power as
a technique for one.

Phil
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 2:59:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Phillip Ames wrote:
> Sea Wasp wrote:
>
>> You mean listing, say, "boost" as one of the power techniques under a
>>elemental-based power?
>>
>>
>
>
> The way the "Control/Mastery" powers work, it'd probably be a slightly nerfed
> version, but yeah. I figure that if you can take an individual technique from a
> control/mastery type power as a level 2 power, you can take a level 2 power as
> a technique for one.

Thanks. I'll bounce that one off my GM and see what he says. ("Ow!")




--
Sea Wasp
/^\
;;;
Live Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/seawasp/
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 3:41:47 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:07:22 GMT, Sea Wasp
<seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:

>David Johnston wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 12:58:52 GMT, Sea Wasp
>> <seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>armitageNOSPAM@mhcable.com wrote:
>>>
>>>>My original reply to this post seems to have been devoured when my ISP
>>>>changed news providers, so I'll try again.
>>>>
>>>>The Aberrant Player's Guide had rules for creating super-tech powered
>>>>by the creator's Quantum.
>>>>The device's attributes determined how many successes were needed with
>>>>the technology skill rolls to create it, which determined how long it
>>>>took to build. One of the attributes was how long the device lasted
>>>>until it started to fall apart, permanent wasn't an option.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, this is just precisely NOT what I'm looking for. I
>>>want Iron Man et.al.,
>>
>>
>> Iron Man's pretty much covered.
>
> Where? Last I know, Tony didn't have to worry that his suit would
>evaporate a few months after building it.

I'm sure he has to do regular maintenance.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 6:23:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

David Johnston wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:07:22 GMT, Sea Wasp
> <seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:
>
>
>>David Johnston wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 12:58:52 GMT, Sea Wasp
>>><seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>armitageNOSPAM@mhcable.com wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>My original reply to this post seems to have been devoured when my ISP
>>>>>changed news providers, so I'll try again.
>>>>>
>>>>>The Aberrant Player's Guide had rules for creating super-tech powered
>>>>>by the creator's Quantum.
>>>>>The device's attributes determined how many successes were needed with
>>>>>the technology skill rolls to create it, which determined how long it
>>>>>took to build. One of the attributes was how long the device lasted
>>>>>until it started to fall apart, permanent wasn't an option.
>>>>
>>>> Unfortunately, this is just precisely NOT what I'm looking for. I
>>>>want Iron Man et.al.,
>>>
>>>
>>>Iron Man's pretty much covered.
>>
>> Where? Last I know, Tony didn't have to worry that his suit would
>>evaporate a few months after building it.
>
>
> I'm sure he has to do regular maintenance.
>

Yes, but that's true of any device. However, your car,etc., doesn't
come in most games with a "disappears in x months" tag. It's assumed
that machines basically stay around unless deliberately damaged or
mistreated.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\
;;;
Live Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/seawasp/
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 6:48:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

One of the big problems most people seem to have had with Aberrant is that the
rules are too dependant on what has been established in the setting: few or no
gadgets and no powered armor among other things. This is okay for people who
don't mind not having those as options but not for those of us who do want
those as options.

I have a similar problem with Heroes Unlimited. It isn't unlimited and I think
that it is in fact very limited. For instance, it is IMPOSSIBLE to make
Superman in HU. You can do someone like that: tremendous strength,
nign-invulnerablity, flight, etc, but you can't do Superman exactly. In
systems with more flexibility, like Hero and GURPS, you have a much better
chance of creating such characters. The only limitation being whether the GM
is running such a high powered game. For instance, depending on which version
you are referencing, Superman has something around a 100 STR in Hero. I've done
the conversions from Heroes Unlimited to Hero and figured out that the maximum
STR you can get is around 60.

Captain Geek
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 3:48:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Detryxtyr wrote:
> One of the big problems most people seem to have had with Aberrant is that the
> rules are too dependant on what has been established in the setting: few or no
> gadgets and no powered armor among other things. This is okay for people who
> don't mind not having those as options but not for those of us who do want
> those as options.
>
> I have a similar problem with Heroes Unlimited. It isn't unlimited and I think
> that it is in fact very limited. For instance, it is IMPOSSIBLE to make
> Superman in HU. You can do someone like that: tremendous strength,
> nign-invulnerablity, flight, etc, but you can't do Superman exactly.

Yep, same kind of thing. Though for Aberrant I don't have QUITE the
same problem with it; the problem is that there are references in the
background for wierd super-tech invented by Novas, but no actual
discussion of how to do that -- for instance, make a super-intelligent
Nova who actually makes Kewl Gadgets. (My compromise here would
probably be to say "well, like all geniuses you'll have a limited
number of Truly Great ideas. Spend points on the powers you will have
your power armor give you." and then his Nova powers would be his
super-intelligence plus the gadgets that he made.).

But it is true that Hero/Champs tends to do all of them much more
efficiently. I don't mind it quite so much for the superhero setting
-- it's still not my choice, but for a superhero universe
"effects-based" design makes MUCH more sense to me.


--
Sea Wasp
/^\
;;;
Live Journal: http://www.livejournal.com/users/seawasp/
!