ide or sata drive

tennen

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
I am a relly noob in this hardrivetech thing..
I know I have an Ide drive installed right now and thinking of getting an other HD.

#1 wich is the best. IDE drives or Serial ATA?
What is the big differens?

#2 Is it possible to have one IDE drive and one SATA drive installed at the same time?

#3 If #2 not works. Can I use my IDE drive in the SATA channel in someway?

#4 Can you recommend a fast, quiet, 200GB, cheap HD?

Thanks in advance

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
1. depends on yer preference
connection type
2. yes
3. no
4. even though fast and cheap don't mix, Seagate is the way to go for quiet.

welcome in advance

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
#3 If #2 not works. Can I use my IDE drive in the SATA channel in someway?
Actually, you can, with <b><A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-999-111&depa=1" target="_new"><font color=red>ATA-to-Serial ATA Converter adapter</A></b></font color=red>.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

BeyRevRa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2004
Everyone seems to be moving more towards SATA, I think for someone who is "new" IDE would be better as it doesn't require F6ing the drivers.

AMD 64 3400+
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
1 GB Kingston HyperX PC3200
ATI AIW 9600XT
WD Raptor 74GB

tennen

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
Ok, but driver wouldn't be an issue to me.
Is one of them faster than the other? Or is it just the space the cables takes that makes the diff??

The SATA is supposedly a little faster. SATA is capable of transfering 150 MB/s, while ATA100 drives are capable of 100 MB/s. The problem is that the hard drives really can't take advantage of this, they just can't read/write this fast. Last time I saw stats they don't use half of that "bandwidth"

So techincally I believe the SATA drive will be mariginally faster until the 8 MB buffer is filled, then they are roughly the same.

Basically it is only marginally better, but the price is only marginally more, so I don't see any reason not to go SATA.

Have you thought about going with a 10,000 RPM drive, they are pretty affordable these days, and performance would be better, from what I have read.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>

krayzeemunkee

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2004
Apparently the ideal use of the faster (meaning ata 133, sata) HDs is if you are hooking 2 up on the same line...I got a SATA drive and right now its giving me hell with drivers...I think I have to have a raid setup (no option), but about your question...If you really are a noob, then go with ATA 100/133, IMO its just simple

-Mac User-

tennen

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
So it seems to me I'm buying an ide drive.
I'm hedding for 200GB. What brand is the best. I need something quiet and fast =). low noise is the most importent tho.

hitachi deskstar, seagate barracuda, maxtor diamond or western digital caviar?

Thay are all 8MB cache and 7200rpm

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Point 3. Actually yes you can, an IDE to SATA convertor & a 4pin molex to SATA power convertor...

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...

Seagate have good rep for running quiester & cooler than most of the rest

sorry, khha4113... didnt see your post...