can ghost do this?

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
how do i make an image of a system that i can put on a cd? i built 5 exact systems and dont want to load everything 5 times.... the system has 2 partitions, both ntfs and the hd is 80gb. can i do this with ghost? im running 2k prof.

....the birds seemed to be calling him, thought caw....

xyz

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
how do i make an image of a system that i can put on a cd?
Nothing different. Just image your system with the same regular method. And burn the image into some CD-R(W).Don't forget to make the CD-R bootable.I also recommend putting the "ghostpe.exe" onto the CD-R. It will work fine.

Norton Ghost images NTFS partitions very well. For Win2000 i.e. NTFS v 5.0 you can use 'Norton Ghost 2001'. No need of purchasing Norton Ghost 2002. It has no new feature except that of its compatibility with WinXP.

For more information about Norton Ghost visit <A HREF="http://ghost.radified.com/" target="_new">Radified Guide to Norton Ghost</A>

<b><font color=red><i>"All delays are dangerous in war."</b></font color=red></i>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""It has no new feature except that of its compatibility with WinXP.""

I still use Ghost 5.1 (199?) for all my needs and it works fine with ALL MS OSs without any compatibility issues.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

xyz

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
I still use Ghost 5.1 (199?) for all my needs and it works fine with ALL MS OSs without any compatibility issues.
I didn't used the word 'compatibility' in the sence you are assuming. Ghost 5.1 can image a partition with any version of windows installed. You might have noticed no problems at all.
But you cannot get support from Symantec for the compatibility of Norton Ghost 5.1 or any other version except Norton Ghost 2002 for Windows XP. Why???

Because when you restore your partition with Ghost, it formats your hard drive with the same file system that the partition was using at the time of imaging. When you image WinXP partition with Ghost 5.1, it assumes that the file system on the partition is NTFS 5.0. And it restores the partition with NTFS 5.0. But the file system that Win XP uses is 5.1.
And that's all what I & Symantec means.

Have a look at <A HREF="http://www.directron.com/ghost2002.html" target="_new"> Key Features of Norton Ghost 2002</A>

<b><font color=red><i>"All delays are dangerous in war."</b></font color=red></i>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Oh, I see... and I thouht that Ghost 5.1 can't see NTFS at all, thanks for info.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...