Floppy disk drivw

Just got new puter with Windows XP home edition and there is no floppy drive
so i took the portable floppy from my old win98 laptop and plugged into what
is the printer port which is same place i used on laptop.
How do i get the winXP to recognize the floppy?
Is there any other way to transfer file from my win 98 to winXP.
Do not have a cd burner with win98 puter :(

In news:62DB4082-8E55-4D37-AA6C-E25921A88B27@microsoft.com,
ladilizbet <ladilizbet@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Just got new puter with Windows XP home edition and there is no
> floppy drive so i took the portable floppy from my old win98
> laptop
> and plugged into what is the printer port which is same place i
> used
> on laptop.

The printer port? I'm guessing that you mean a USB port.

> How do i get the winXP to recognize the floppy?
> Is there any other way to transfer file from my win 98 to
> winXP.

Lots of ways. One easy way if there isn't a lot to transfer is to
E-mail it from one computer and read it on the other.

Please reply to the newsgroup

"ladilizbet" <ladilizbet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just got new puter with Windows XP home edition and there is no floppy
drive
> so i took the portable floppy from my old win98 laptop and plugged into
what
> is the printer port which is same place i used on laptop.
> How do i get the winXP to recognize the floppy?
> Is there any other way to transfer file from my win 98 to winXP.
> Do not have a cd burner with win98 puter :(

If you don't want to setup a network using a CAT5 crossover cable and LAN
cards then...

One of the simplest ways is to use a USB-USB link cable. These are sold by
many computer stores and allow two PC to be connected together using a cable
with a lump in the middle and some S/W supplied with the product. What you
see is a new drive on each computer and you can drag and drop files between
conputers. You should also be able to work out how to use the Windows
transfer files and settings wizard. They are typically faster than a floppy
but quite a bit slower than a LAN.

ladilizbet wrote:
> Just got new puter with Windows XP home edition and there is no floppy drive
> so i took the portable floppy from my old win98 laptop and plugged into what
> is the printer port which is same place i used on laptop.
> How do i get the winXP to recognize the floppy?
> Is there any other way to transfer file from my win 98 to winXP.
> Do not have a cd burner with win98 puter :(
Downld XP driver for your floppy drive. setting a network or using a USB
stick is another form of data transfer between 2 PC's.

From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, CWatters had this to say:

> "ladilizbet" <ladilizbet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Just got new puter with Windows XP home edition and there is no floppy
> drive
>> so i took the portable floppy from my old win98 laptop and plugged into
> what
>> is the printer port which is same place i used on laptop.
>> How do i get the winXP to recognize the floppy?
>> Is there any other way to transfer file from my win 98 to winXP.
>> Do not have a cd burner with win98 puter :(
>

> If you don't want to setup a network using a CAT5 crossover cable and LAN
> cards then...

I think the OP would be far better off going crossover than USB. More than
likely that old Win98 laptop only has USB1 and would be terribly slow
compared to ethernet.

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

"NoStop" <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote in message
> > If you don't want to setup a network using a CAT5 crossover cable and
LAN
> > cards then...
> >
> I think the OP would be far better off going crossover than USB. More than
> likely that old Win98 laptop only has USB1 and would be terribly slow
> compared to ethernet.

Yes i agree the performance would be a lot better. The setup if slightly
more complex though if the win98 laptop doesn't have a LAN port.