ZEE

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003

how do i directly go to windows login screen after screensaver is active in
windows XP ?? In the display setting it doesnt have the option of going to
login screen after the screensaver.

Is there some way I can do that ?

Desktop | Properties | Screen Saver | Power | Advanced.

Place check in second box!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Zee" <Zee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how do i directly go to windows login screen after screensaver is active
> in
> windows XP ?? In the display setting it doesnt have the option of going to
> login screen after the screensaver.
>
> Is there some way I can do that ?

"Zee" <Zee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how do i directly go to windows login screen after screensaver is
> active in
> windows XP ?? In the display setting it doesnt have the option of
> going to
> login screen after the screensaver.
>
> Is there some way I can do that ?

In Display properties>Screen Saver Tab> Check "On resume, password
protect"

--
William

Zee wrote:
> how do i directly go to windows login screen after screensaver is active in
> windows XP ?? In the display setting it doesnt have the option of going to
> login screen after the screensaver.
>
> Is there some way I can do that ?
Goto control panel, user accounts, change the way users log on and off.

What you stated will NOT help the O/P! He is concerned about returning from
standby, not a general logon operation!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Robert Gething" <virusking1052733@aol.com> wrote in message
> Zee wrote:
>> how do i directly go to windows login screen after screensaver is active
>> in windows XP ?? In the display setting it doesnt have the option of
>> going to login screen after the screensaver.
>>
>> Is there some way I can do that ?
> Goto control panel, user accounts, change the way users log on and off.

ZEE

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003

I think you guys dint understand what i was trying to say.

What I want to do is after the screensaver is deactivated, i dont want to
password protect it.. I want to directly go to the windows login screen and
use the user defined password in the login screen. ( Not the screensaver
password).

I had done it before on the previous desktop, but not on this laptop.

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> What you stated will NOT help the O/P! He is concerned about returning from
> standby, not a general logon operation!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>

> "Robert Gething" <virusking1052733@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Zee wrote:
> >> how do i directly go to windows login screen after screensaver is active
> >> in windows XP ?? In the display setting it doesnt have the option of
> >> going to login screen after the screensaver.
> >>
> >> Is there some way I can do that ?
> > Goto control panel, user accounts, change the way users log on and off.

The screen saver password is the same as the user login password! I know of
no way to change that mode of operation.

--

>I think you guys dint understand what i was trying to say.
>
> What I want to do is after the screensaver is deactivated, i dont want to
> password protect it.. I want to directly go to the windows login screen
> and
> use the user defined password in the login screen. ( Not the screensaver
> password).
>
> I had done it before on the previous desktop, but not on this laptop.
>

> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> What you stated will NOT help the O/P! He is concerned about returning
>> from
>> standby, not a general logon operation!
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>>

>> "Robert Gething" <virusking1052733@aol.com> wrote in message

>> > Goto control panel, user accounts, change the way users log on and off.

ZEE

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2003

yes, the screensaver password is same as windows login password. But the
diff is that.. when screensaver password is activated a dialog window comes
up and i dont want to set it that way. Now if a guest wants to logon, he/she
cant .. until and unless you(administrator) take it to the windows login
screen and login as guest.

I hope you get my point. :)

> yes, the screensaver password is same as windows login password. But
> the
> diff is that.. when screensaver password is activated a dialog window
> comes
> up and i dont want to set it that way. Now if a guest wants to logon,
> he/she
> cant .. until and unless you(administrator) take it to the windows
> login
> screen and login as guest.
>
> I hope you get my point. :)

You need to enable "Use Fast User Switching" and "Use the Welcome
Screen" to do this.

Go to User Accounts in the Control Panel and select "Change the way
users Log on or off", then make the appropriate changes.

--
William

I don't see the situation being bypassed.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Zee" <Zee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> yes, the screensaver password is same as windows login password. But the
> diff is that.. when screensaver password is activated a dialog window
> comes
> up and i dont want to set it that way. Now if a guest wants to logon,
> he/she
> cant .. until and unless you(administrator) take it to the windows login
> screen and login as guest.
>
> I hope you get my point. :)
>

> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> The screen saver password is the same as the user login password! I know
>> of
>> no way to change that mode of operation.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>>

>> "Zee" <Zee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I think you guys dint understand what i was trying to say.
>> >
>> > What I want to do is after the screensaver is deactivated, i dont want
>> > password protect it.. I want to directly go to the windows login screen
>> > and
>> > use the user defined password in the login screen. ( Not the
>> > screensaver
>> > password).
>> >
>> > I had done it before on the previous desktop, but not on this laptop.

There are some requisites before doing that.

1. A large amount of RAM

2. A system managed pagefile

Remember, everything that the original person was doing is saved to the
pagefile when a second person logs in. This is how the first person can
return to what he was doing, without any lost information, when the second
person logs out!

With insufficient RAM or pagefile the system may lock up or crash! I would
suggest a minimum of 256 meg of RAM for each person logged in.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

> There are some requisites before doing that.
>
> 1. A large amount of RAM
>
> 2. A system managed pagefile
>
> Remember, everything that the original person was doing is saved to
> the pagefile when a second person logs in. This is how the first
> person can return to what he was doing, without any lost information,
> when the second person logs out!
>
> With insufficient RAM or pagefile the system may lock up or crash! I
> would suggest a minimum of 256 meg of RAM for each person logged in.

There is third as well, if the user has replaced msgina.dll file with a
third party file, the Fast User switching may not be available.

--
William

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

!

> What you stated will NOT help the O/P! He is concerned about returning
> from standby, not a general logon operation!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>

> "Robert Gething" <virusking1052733@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Zee wrote:
>>> how do i directly go to windows login screen after screensaver is active
>>> in windows XP ?? In the display setting it doesnt have the option of
>>> going to login screen after the screensaver.
>>>
>>> Is there some way I can do that ?
>> Goto control panel, user accounts, change the way users log on and off.

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

No !

> The screen saver password is the same as the user login password! I know
> of no way to change that mode of operation.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>

> "Zee" <Zee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I think you guys dint understand what i was trying to say.
>>
>> What I want to do is after the screensaver is deactivated, i dont want to
>> password protect it.. I want to directly go to the windows login screen
>> and
>> use the user defined password in the login screen. ( Not the screensaver
>> password).
>>
>> I had done it before on the previous desktop, but not on this laptop.
>>

>> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>>
>>> What you stated will NOT help the O/P! He is concerned about returning
>>> from
>>> standby, not a general logon operation!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Urban
>>>
>>> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>>>

>>> "Robert Gething" <virusking1052733@aol.com> wrote in message

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

No !

>I don't see the situation being bypassed.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>

> "Zee" <Zee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> yes, the screensaver password is same as windows login password. But the
>> diff is that.. when screensaver password is activated a dialog window
>> comes
>> up and i dont want to set it that way. Now if a guest wants to logon,
>> he/she
>> cant .. until and unless you(administrator) take it to the windows login
>> screen and login as guest.
>>
>> I hope you get my point. :)
>>

>> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>>
>>> The screen saver password is the same as the user login password! I know
>>> of
>>> no way to change that mode of operation.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Urban
>>>
>>> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>>>

>>> "Zee" <Zee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001