Dual Channel Question?

mAtRiXrIpOfF

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2003
hello,

i have a motherboard capable of doing dual channel memory. i have 2 identical 512mb sticks of Generic ddr 400 ram.

does the motherboard makes the above mentioned memory dual channel or is dual channel is a exclusive feature on good brand memory only?

Yes Ned Flanders is correct, there is a huge misconception about this (Keep in mind AMD and Intel Dual Channel is different), but any memory that is similar will run in dual channel. Dual channel is a motherboard feature, <b>not</b> a memory feature.

When you see dual channel memory kits it is nothing more than two chips that are very similar, usually very close serial numbers, so the chips are garunteed to be the same.

After a slight slip of the hand I damaged a RAM chip :frown: , the tech at the computer store told me that with the nForce boards (AMD), the ram chips didn't even necessarily have to be the same at all to work. However I didn't try and test this. I figured the whole expierence gave me a excuse to buy new RAM :smile: , so why just replace a single chip.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>

G

Yep AMD use dual channel to have faster memory access not more bandwith. So almost any sticks in any configuration will work. It will take the slowest speed and highest timmings on all sticks tough

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dual channel works with nearly any RAM, but the RAM has to be stable enough to run it. If it crashed once in a while in single channel, sometimes it won't even boot in dual channel.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>