error in IOCTL call

I get this message when trying to format my mp3 usb thumb drive in command
prompt through windows. i also get the error message
"STATUS_IO_DEVICE_ERROR". any help on this would be muchly appreciated.

also there is some information about a hotfix from the microsoft website
about this issue http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836618 but unfortuately
have not heard back from microsoft about this hotfix.

thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about error ioctl call

    Hi,
    it is included in XPSP2.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;811113
    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Skyliner85 wrote:
    > I get this message when trying to format my mp3 usb thumb drive in command
    > prompt through windows. i also get the error message
    > "STATUS_IO_DEVICE_ERROR". any help on this would be muchly appreciated.
    >
    > also there is some information about a hotfix from the microsoft website
    > about this issue http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836618 but unfortuately
    > have not heard back from microsoft about this hotfix.
    >
    > thanks

Microsoft Windows XP