Unable to login to Windows Messenger

Get error message "The wizard could not connect to the Internet, or the Web
service returned a wizard page that is not valid". What is causing this?
How can it be fixed?
6 answers Last reply
More about unable login windows messenger

    post to the specific newsgroup:-

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    SMFaison wrote:
    > Get error message "The wizard could not connect to the Internet, or the Web
    > service returned a wizard page that is not valid". What is causing this?
    > How can it be fixed?

    Don't understand this response. What am I supposed to do? Subscribe to a
    newsgroup? Then what?

    SMFaison wrote:

    > Don't understand this response. What am I supposed to do? Subscribe
    > to a
    > newsgroup? Then what?
    >
    > "S.Sengupta" wrote:
    >
    >> post to the specific newsgroup:-

    The response means that you should post your question to a newsgroup
    specifically for the program with which you are having problems. Mr.
    Sengupta then gave you the name of the newsgroup. He did this because
    posting to the correct newsgroup will maximize your chances of getting
    an answer. Since you are using the web interface, you may not realize
    that this is really a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this
    resource if you learn to use a newsreader. There are many good
    newsreaders for Windows, but you can use Outlook Express since you
    already have it. Here are some links to information about newsgroups:

    http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
    explanation of newsgroups
    http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/news/howto/default.asp
    - Set Up Newsreader

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
    working properly
    http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
    http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
    crossposting

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    SMFaison wrote:
    > Get error message "The wizard could not connect to the Internet, or the Web
    > service returned a wizard page that is not valid". What is causing this?
    > How can it be fixed?

    Are you trying to add a .NET passport to an XP user account? If so you
    recieve that error message when msnmsger i blocked.

    Are you on broadband? Netwked/shared between two or more PC's? If so
    check using your ruters cofig util that .NET msger service/MSNmsger or
    windows msger is allowed through the ruters firewall, also if you have
    web filtering software such as websense enterprise or we-bloker
    installed on your Pc or netwk server, ensure that access to.NET passport
    enabled sites is not filtered by the software.

    Check the winmsger service is enabled by clicking start, run, type
    services.msc, double click the winmsger service, check that it is set to
    automatic and that it is started.

    Finally, makesure that the tick boxes next to the start up items for
    winmsger are checked in the system configuration utility. Do this by
    clicking start, run, type msconfig and click on the startup tab.

    I will try this when I have access to the machine later today.

    "Robert Gething" wrote:

    > SMFaison wrote:
    > > Get error message "The wizard could not connect to the Internet, or the Web
    > > service returned a wizard page that is not valid". What is causing this?
    > > How can it be fixed?
    >
    > Are you trying to add a .NET passport to an XP user account? If so you
    > recieve that error message when msnmsger i blocked.
    >
    > Are you on broadband? Netwked/shared between two or more PC's? If so
    > check using your ruters cofig util that .NET msger service/MSNmsger or
    > windows msger is allowed through the ruters firewall, also if you have
    > web filtering software such as websense enterprise or we-bloker
    > installed on your Pc or netwk server, ensure that access to.NET passport
    > enabled sites is not filtered by the software.
    >
    > Check the winmsger service is enabled by clicking start, run, type
    > services.msc, double click the winmsger service, check that it is set to
    > automatic and that it is started.
    >
    > Finally, makesure that the tick boxes next to the start up items for
    > winmsger are checked in the system configuration utility. Do this by
    > clicking start, run, type msconfig and click on the startup tab.

    This computer is on a broadband connection with the Norton Internet Security
    Firewall. Maybe this is where the problem lies?

    "Robert Gething" wrote:

    > SMFaison wrote:
    > > Get error message "The wizard could not connect to the Internet, or the Web
    > > service returned a wizard page that is not valid". What is causing this?
    > > How can it be fixed?
    >
    > Are you trying to add a .NET passport to an XP user account? If so you
    > recieve that error message when msnmsger i blocked.
    >
    > Are you on broadband? Netwked/shared between two or more PC's? If so
    > check using your ruters cofig util that .NET msger service/MSNmsger or
    > windows msger is allowed through the ruters firewall, also if you have
    > web filtering software such as websense enterprise or we-bloker
    > installed on your Pc or netwk server, ensure that access to.NET passport
    > enabled sites is not filtered by the software.
    >
    > Check the winmsger service is enabled by clicking start, run, type
    > services.msc, double click the winmsger service, check that it is set to
    > automatic and that it is started.
    >
    > Finally, makesure that the tick boxes next to the start up items for
    > winmsger are checked in the system configuration utility. Do this by
    > clicking start, run, type msconfig and click on the startup tab.

Messenger Error Message Windows XP