Ctrl+Alt+Del

When my OS was 98SE the easiest way to get rid of unwanted Popups and other
annoyances was Ctrl+Alt+Del. I now find in XP that quite often it doesn't
work or after a long delay brings up multiple Taskmanagers. And I sometimes
still have to use the "Forbidden" Poweroff button to close down.
Any comments?
Martynz.
5 answers Last reply
More about ctrl

    Win XP is not Win 98 -- the function of Ctrl+Alt+Del for Win XP is different
    than it is for Win 98.

    steve

    "Martyn Howells" <martyngh@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
    > When my OS was 98SE the easiest way to get rid of unwanted Popups and
    > other annoyances was Ctrl+Alt+Del. I now find in XP that quite often it
    > doesn't work or after a long delay brings up multiple Taskmanagers. And I
    > sometimes still have to use the "Forbidden" Poweroff button to close down.
    > Any comments?
    > Martynz.

    just give it more time to respond - multiple managers suggest you keep
    pressing it which just makes it take even longer

    > When my OS was 98SE the easiest way to get rid of unwanted Popups and
    other
    > annoyances was Ctrl+Alt+Del. I now find in XP that quite often it doesn't
    > work or after a long delay brings up multiple Taskmanagers. And I
    sometimes
    > still have to use the "Forbidden" Poweroff button to close down.
    > Any comments?
    > Martynz.

    Hi,

    The long delays suggest that you probably have many unwanted backgroound
    processes running. I would run these applications:

    Adaware www.lavasoft.de
    Spybot www.safer-networking.org

    This one can help you avoid these programs from being installed in the first
    place:
    Spyware Blaster: www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

    You might also restart in Safe mode and scan for other intrusions. Free
    virus removal tools:

    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/8/lng/us/tpl/v5/nid/3001#3001
    http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml

    How to start in Safe mode:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

    From MVP Richard Harper on cleaning up malware infested systems:
    http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Martyn Howells wrote:
    > When my OS was 98SE the easiest way to get rid of unwanted Popups and other
    > annoyances was Ctrl+Alt+Del. I now find in XP that quite often it doesn't
    > work or after a long delay brings up multiple Taskmanagers. And I sometimes
    > still have to use the "Forbidden" Poweroff button to close down.
    > Any comments?
    > Martynz.

    DO YOU HAVE THE WELCOME SCREEN ENABLED? IF SO GOTO USER ACCOUNTS IN
    CONTROL PANEL, CHANGE THE WAY USER LOG ON AND OFF, AND REMOVE THE TICK
    IN THE CHECKBOX NEXT TO USE WELCOME SCREEN.

    "Robert Gething" <virusking1052733@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Martyn Howells wrote:
    > > When my OS was 98SE the easiest way to get rid of unwanted Popups and
    other
    > > annoyances was Ctrl+Alt+Del. I now find in XP that quite often it
    doesn't
    > > work or after a long delay brings up multiple Taskmanagers. And I
    sometimes
    > > still have to use the "Forbidden" Poweroff button to close down.
    > > Any comments?
    > > Martynz.
    > >

    > DO YOU HAVE THE WELCOME SCREEN ENABLED? IF SO GOTO USER ACCOUNTS IN
    > CONTROL PANEL, CHANGE THE WAY USER LOG ON AND OFF, AND REMOVE THE TICK
    > IN THE CHECKBOX NEXT TO USE WELCOME SCREEN.

    You know, for less than $10, you can get a keyboard with a working shift key
    :-)

Microsoft Windows XP