Shortcut to My Computer

This is probably embarrassingly obvious... How do I write a shortcut
to My Computer? I have a keyboard macro program I use (in Win XP)
which lets me automate simple operations. For example, I could enter
the shortcut 'D:\Docs\Downloads' and assign it to hotkey to open that
folder. What is the equivalent for My Computer please?

--
Terry Pinnell, West Sussex, UK
12 answers Last reply

    Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

    > How do I write a shortcut to My Computer?

    Create a shortcut as follows:
    %systemroot%\explorer.exe /e,

    --
    d-d

    How about just using "Winkey/E" to bring up explorer? Or are you set to use
    a macro to do it?

    Anyway, "explorer /e" will do what you want.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    "Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > This is probably embarrassingly obvious... How do I write a shortcut
    > to My Computer? I have a keyboard macro program I use (in Win XP)
    > which lets me automate simple operations. For example, I could enter
    > the shortcut 'D:\Docs\Downloads' and assign it to hotkey to open that
    > folder. What is the equivalent for My Computer please?
    >
    > --
    > Terry Pinnell, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

    > Ramesh, Detlev: Interesting! Neither
    > %systemroot%\explorer.exe /e nor %systemroot%\explorer.exe /n
    > work here.

    As Ramesh said, you have to include the comma at the end.

    --
    d-d

    "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >How about just using "Winkey/E" to bring up explorer? Or are you set to use
    >a macro to do it?
    >
    >Anyway, "explorer /e" will do what you want.

    Thanks all.

    Richard: I'd just re-discovered Win+e and as you say it's very handy,
    thank you. I'm quite used to opening frequently used files and folders
    from a utility program called Stiletto (now obsolete), which is why
    I'd also like to add it there too.

    Ramesh, Detlev: Interesting! Neither
    %systemroot%\explorer.exe /e nor %systemroot%\explorer.exe /n
    work here. They give me the C: drive, not My Computer. Same if I try
    Run>Explorer /e or Run>Explorer /n (dual or single pane being the only
    distinction).

    Ramesh: The winning entry is your third candidate <g>
    c:\windows\explorer ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
    does the trick, thank you. No idea what it means, but happy that it
    gives me what I need!

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Create a shortcut to:

    explorer /n,
    -or-
    explorer /e,
    -or-
    explorer ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > This is probably embarrassingly obvious... How do I write a shortcut
    > to My Computer? I have a keyboard macro program I use (in Win XP)
    > which lets me automate simple operations. For example, I could enter
    > the shortcut 'D:\Docs\Downloads' and assign it to hotkey to open that
    > folder. What is the equivalent for My Computer please?
    >
    > --
    > Terry Pinnell, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

    > Thanks both - I missed that! Now works fine, and looks more elegant
    > too <g>.

    If you are interested, you may also want to read
    "How To Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP"
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;307856

    --
    d-d

    "Detlev Dreyer" <detdreyer@flashmail.com> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Ramesh, Detlev: Interesting! Neither
    >> %systemroot%\explorer.exe /e nor %systemroot%\explorer.exe /n
    >> work here.
    >
    >As Ramesh said, you have to include the comma at the end.

    Thanks both - I missed that! Now works fine, and looks more elegant
    too <g>.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Here's what worked for me since I wanted to have My Computer open at
    bootup. I right clicked on the My Computer icon on the desktop and
    created a shortcut. I moved the shortcut to a startup folder.

    Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

    >This is probably embarrassingly obvious... How do I write a shortcut
    >to My Computer? I have a keyboard macro program I use (in Win XP)
    >which lets me automate simple operations. For example, I could enter
    >the shortcut 'D:\Docs\Downloads' and assign it to hotkey to open that
    >folder. What is the equivalent for My Computer please?
    >
    >--
    >Terry Pinnell, West Sussex, UK

    Terry,

    Other two commands will work fine if you include the comma at the end.

    >> No idea what it means, but happy that it gives me what I need!

    {20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} is the My Computer's Namespace CLSID.
    This article will explain everything for you:

    Specifying a Namespace Extension's Location:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_adv/namespaceextension/nse_view.asp

    Displaying a Self-Contained View of a Namespace Extension:

    Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > This is probably embarrassingly obvious... How do I write a shortcut
    > to My Computer? I have a keyboard macro program I use (in Win XP)
    > which lets me automate simple operations. For example, I could enter
    > the shortcut 'D:\Docs\Downloads' and assign it to hotkey to open that
    > folder. What is the equivalent for My Computer please?

    UMM...HAVING NEVER EVEN USED OR HEARD OF A MACRO PGM MYSELF I WOULD NOT
    KNOW BUT TO CREATE A SHORTCUT TO MY COMPUTER YOU JUST RIGHT CLICK ON IT
    AND SELECT CREATE SHORTCUT THEN YOU COULD CUT&PASTE IT TO ANYWHERE
    WITHIN EXPLORER.EXE. IF THAT WHT YOU MEAN?

    Robert Gething wrote:

    > Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >> This is probably embarrassingly obvious... How do I write a shortcut
    >> to My Computer? I have a keyboard macro program I use (in Win XP)
    >> which lets me automate simple operations. For example, I could enter
    >> the shortcut 'D:\Docs\Downloads' and assign it to hotkey to open that
    >> folder. What is the equivalent for My Computer please?

    Mr. Gething -

    > UMM...HAVING NEVER EVEN USED OR HEARD OF A MACRO PGM

    Then don't bother answering. There were at least 6 previous correct
    answers and the issue was resolved before you decided to add your
    shouting. Do you not get enough attention in Real Life(tm)?

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    No !

    > How about just using "Winkey/E" to bring up explorer? Or are you set to
    > use a macro to do it?
    >
    > Anyway, "explorer /e" will do what you want.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > If you knew as much as you thought you know,
    >

    > "Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
    >> This is probably embarrassingly obvious... How do I write a shortcut
    >> to My Computer? I have a keyboard macro program I use (in Win XP)
    >> which lets me automate simple operations. For example, I could enter
    >> the shortcut 'D:\Docs\Downloads' and assign it to hotkey to open that
    >> folder. What is the equivalent for My Computer please?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Terry Pinnell, West Sussex, UK

Computers Microsoft Windows XP