This is probably embarrassingly obvious... How do I write a shortcut
to My Computer? I have a keyboard macro program I use (in Win XP)
which lets me automate simple operations. For example, I could enter
the shortcut 'D:\Docs\Downloads' and assign it to hotkey to open that
folder. What is the equivalent for My Computer please?

--
Terry Pinnell, West Sussex, UK

How about just using "Winkey/E" to bring up explorer? Or are you set to use
a macro to do it?

Anyway, "explorer /e" will do what you want.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> This is probably embarrassingly obvious... How do I write a shortcut
> to My Computer? I have a keyboard macro program I use (in Win XP)
> which lets me automate simple operations. For example, I could enter
> the shortcut 'D:\Docs\Downloads' and assign it to hotkey to open that
> folder. What is the equivalent for My Computer please?
>
> --
> Terry Pinnell, West Sussex, UK

Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

> How do I write a shortcut to My Computer?

Create a shortcut as follows:
%systemroot%\explorer.exe /e,

--
d-d

Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

> Ramesh, Detlev: Interesting! Neither
> %systemroot%\explorer.exe /e nor %systemroot%\explorer.exe /n
> work here.

As Ramesh said, you have to include the comma at the end.

--
d-d

"Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>How about just using "Winkey/E" to bring up explorer? Or are you set to use
>a macro to do it?
>
>Anyway, "explorer /e" will do what you want.

Thanks all.

Richard: I'd just re-discovered Win+e and as you say it's very handy,
thank you. I'm quite used to opening frequently used files and folders
from a utility program called Stiletto (now obsolete), which is why
I'd also like to add it there too.

Ramesh, Detlev: Interesting! Neither
%systemroot%\explorer.exe /e nor %systemroot%\explorer.exe /n
work here. They give me the C: drive, not My Computer. Same if I try
Run>Explorer /e or Run>Explorer /n (dual or single pane being the only
distinction).

Ramesh: The winning entry is your third candidate <g>
c:\windows\explorer ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
does the trick, thank you. No idea what it means, but happy that it
gives me what I need!

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Create a shortcut to:

explorer /n,
-or-
explorer /e,
-or-
explorer ::{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
> This is probably embarrassingly obvious... How do I write a shortcut
> to My Computer? I have a keyboard macro program I use (in Win XP)
> which lets me automate simple operations. For example, I could enter
> the shortcut 'D:\Docs\Downloads' and assign it to hotkey to open that
> folder. What is the equivalent for My Computer please?
>
> --
> Terry Pinnell, West Sussex, UK

Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

> Thanks both - I missed that! Now works fine, and looks more elegant
> too <g>.

If you are interested, you may also want to read
"How To Customize the Windows Explorer Views in Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;307856

--
d-d

"Detlev Dreyer" <detdreyer@flashmail.com> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:
>
>> Ramesh, Detlev: Interesting! Neither
>> %systemroot%\explorer.exe /e nor %systemroot%\explorer.exe /n
>> work here.
>
>As Ramesh said, you have to include the comma at the end.

Thanks both - I missed that! Now works fine, and looks more elegant
too <g>.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Here's what worked for me since I wanted to have My Computer open at
bootup. I right clicked on the My Computer icon on the desktop and
created a shortcut. I moved the shortcut to a startup folder.

Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote:

>This is probably embarrassingly obvious... How do I write a shortcut
>to My Computer? I have a keyboard macro program I use (in Win XP)
>which lets me automate simple operations. For example, I could enter
>the shortcut 'D:\Docs\Downloads' and assign it to hotkey to open that
>folder. What is the equivalent for My Computer please?
>
>--
>Terry Pinnell, West Sussex, UK

Terry,

Other two commands will work fine if you include the comma at the end.

>> No idea what it means, but happy that it gives me what I need!

{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} is the My Computer's Namespace CLSID.
This article will explain everything for you:

Specifying a Namespace Extension's Location:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_adv/namespaceextension/nse_view.asp

Displaying a Self-Contained View of a Namespace Extension:

Terry Pinnell wrote:
> This is probably embarrassingly obvious... How do I write a shortcut
> to My Computer? I have a keyboard macro program I use (in Win XP)
> which lets me automate simple operations. For example, I could enter
> the shortcut 'D:\Docs\Downloads' and assign it to hotkey to open that
> folder. What is the equivalent for My Computer please?

UMM...HAVING NEVER EVEN USED OR HEARD OF A MACRO PGM MYSELF I WOULD NOT
KNOW BUT TO CREATE A SHORTCUT TO MY COMPUTER YOU JUST RIGHT CLICK ON IT
AND SELECT CREATE SHORTCUT THEN YOU COULD CUT&PASTE IT TO ANYWHERE
WITHIN EXPLORER.EXE. IF THAT WHT YOU MEAN?

Malke

Robert Gething wrote:

> Terry Pinnell wrote:
>> This is probably embarrassingly obvious... How do I write a shortcut
>> to My Computer? I have a keyboard macro program I use (in Win XP)
>> which lets me automate simple operations. For example, I could enter
>> the shortcut 'D:\Docs\Downloads' and assign it to hotkey to open that
>> folder. What is the equivalent for My Computer please?

Mr. Gething -

> UMM...HAVING NEVER EVEN USED OR HEARD OF A MACRO PGM

Then don't bother answering. There were at least 6 previous correct
answers and the issue was resolved before you decided to add your
shouting. Do you not get enough attention in Real Life(tm)?

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers