hkcmd.exe

Anyone know if this is an important startup item?

I would like to remove it from my startup.
5 answers Last reply
More about hkcmd

    Greetings,

    QUOTE from www.liutilities.com

    "Process File: hkcmd or hkcmd.exe
    Process Name: Intel Hotkey"

    "hkcmd.exe is installed alongside Intel multimedia devices and allows
    configuration and diagnostic options for these devices. This program is
    non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be
    terminated unless suspected to be causing problems."

    "Author: Intel Corporation
    Part Of: Intel Hotkey

    System Process: No
    Background Process: Yes
    Uses Network: No
    Hardware Related: Yes
    Common Errors: N/A
    Memory Usage: N/A "

    By the looks of it, it's an INTEL releated software of one of your hardware
    devices.

    --
    Best of Luck,
    Jose Francisco

    "Ron" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Anyone know if this is an important startup item?
    >
    > I would like to remove it from my startup.

    Ron,

    From where does it load?

    hkcmd.exe is installed by the Intel chipset graphic drivers.

    http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/hkcmd/
    http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/hkcmd.exe.html
    http://castlecops.com/s1408-hkcmd_exe.html

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Ron" <microsoft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Anyone know if this is an important startup item?
    >
    > I would like to remove it from my startup.

    Hi Ron,
    If you want the Ctrl+Alt+F12 or similar keypresses to access Intel's
    customised graphics properties, you need it, otherwise not. Can be
    disabled via the Display Properties in Control Panel.

    Do some reading here:-
    http://tinyurl.com/9kydy

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Ron wrote:
    > Anyone know if this is an important startup item?
    >
    > I would like to remove it from my startup.

    MY GUESS IS YOU HAVE AN INTEL KEYBOARD WITH HOTKEYS. RIGHT? ANYWAY,
    HKCMD IS THE STARTUP ITEM FOR THE HOTKEY FUNCTIONS, SOOO...UNLESS YOU DO
    NOT WANT THE HOTKEYS TO WORK, I WOULD NOT REMOVE OR UNCHECK THE STARTUP
    ITEM.

    Intel doesn't make keyboards.

    That hkcmd.exe file is for hotkey combinations for its graphics card (to
    rotate the screen, access display settings etc). It can be disabled within
    the Intel Graphics card advanced properties.

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    "Robert Gething" <virusking1052733@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Ron wrote:
    >> Anyone know if this is an important startup item?
    >>
    >> I would like to remove it from my startup.
    >
    > MY GUESS IS YOU HAVE AN INTEL KEYBOARD WITH HOTKEYS. RIGHT? ANYWAY, HKCMD
    > IS THE STARTUP ITEM FOR THE HOTKEY FUNCTIONS, SOOO...UNLESS YOU DO NOT
    > WANT THE HOTKEYS TO WORK, I WOULD NOT REMOVE OR UNCHECK THE STARTUP ITEM.

Microsoft Windows XP