5th edition Hero revised

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

I have been thinking about updating to the 5th edition. I looked at a copy
in my local store and was less then impressed with the production quality.
The paper was about the same type used in cheap paperbacks 20 years ago.
Chapions 1st edition seemed better.

The question. Should I blow the $50 on the book or just pick up a used copy
of the non-revised for the $20-25 I can get them for?

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 10:34:01 -0600, "Tracy Hale"
<saxon-dog@comcast.net> wrote:

>I have been thinking about updating to the 5th edition. I looked at a copy
>in my local store and was less then impressed with the production quality.
>The paper was about the same type used in cheap paperbacks 20 years ago.
>Chapions 1st edition seemed better.
>
>The question. Should I blow the $50 on the book or just pick up a used copy
>of the non-revised for the $20-25 I can get them for?

There are some additions to the rules (like Megascale) which I like,
and some peripheral fixes (like the cost of Duplication). But it is
by no means a major revision to the system like the new GURPS or D&D
3.0. The only reason I picked it up was because my old rules set was
totally ratty.

<saxon-dog@comcast.net> wrote:

>I have been thinking about updating to the 5th edition. I looked at a copy
>in my local store and was less then impressed with the production quality.
>The paper was about the same type used in cheap paperbacks 20 years ago.
>Chapions 1st edition seemed better.

supposedly its a more durable type of paper, not the heavily processed
bright white stuff.

incrdbil

David Johnston wrote:
> Strange. I must have a different book. My book's paper
> doesn't have even the slight tinge of yellow.

Sorry, my mistake: I said "Hero 5", and what I meant was "Hero 5
Revised" (aka H5R). I should have been clearer.

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 22:36:46 +0000, David Johnston wrote:

> Strange. I must have a different book. My book's paper doesn't have
> even the slight tinge of yellow. Which edition do you have?

Well, my copy of 5edR does use unbleached and uncoated paper, (which I
happen to like, no glare and less polution). This does mean that there is
a very slight yellowish tinge to the paper.

--
Phoenix

"Tracy Hale" <saxon-dog@comcast.net> writes:

> I have been thinking about updating to the 5th edition. I
> looked at a copy in my local store and was less then impressed
> with the production quality. The paper was about the same type
> used in cheap paperbacks 20 years ago. Chapions 1st edition
> seemed better.

I agree; not only that, but the binding is not sewn, as far as I
can tell, which means that should the glue begin to dry those
pages might just start to fall out. Luckily, the paper's weight
is light enough that the glue should last, but still; for the
cost of RPG books, I really don't like publishers that make
hardbacks without sewn bindings.

After the high quality of the original FReD, I was highly
disappointed with the revised edition's quality.

--
Viktor Haag : Senior Technical Writer : Research In Motion

David Johnston wrote:
> "Tracy Hale" <saxon-dog@comcast.net> wrote:

>>I have been thinking about updating to the 5th edition. I looked at a copy
>>in my local store and was less then impressed with the production quality.
>>The paper was about the same type used in cheap paperbacks 20 years ago.
>>Chapions 1st edition seemed better.
>>
>>The question. Should I blow the $50 on the book or just pick up a used
>>copy of the non-revised for the $20-25 I can get them for?
>
> There are some additions to the rules (like Megascale) which I like,
> and some peripheral fixes (like the cost of Duplication). But it is
> by no means a major revision to the system like the new GURPS or D&D
> 3.0. The only reason I picked it up was because my old rules set was
> totally ratty.

Umm... Megascale is in the non-revised Fifth Edition as well.

There is, unfortunately, no official list of differences between the two...
and at the size of the book, and not having bought the revised yet, I
haven't been able to compare them much myself.

--
ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey <efindel@earthlink.net>
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_)

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:20:06 GMT, Travis Casey <efindel@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>David Johnston wrote:
>> "Tracy Hale" <saxon-dog@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>>I have been thinking about updating to the 5th edition. I looked at a copy
>>>in my local store and was less then impressed with the production quality.
>>>The paper was about the same type used in cheap paperbacks 20 years ago.
>>>Chapions 1st edition seemed better.
>>>
>>>The question. Should I blow the $50 on the book or just pick up a used
>>>copy of the non-revised for the $20-25 I can get them for?
>>
>> There are some additions to the rules (like Megascale) which I like,
>> and some peripheral fixes (like the cost of Duplication). But it is
>> by no means a major revision to the system like the new GURPS or D&D
>> 3.0. The only reason I picked it up was because my old rules set was
>> totally ratty.
>
>Umm... Megascale is in the non-revised Fifth Edition as well.

Yes. I actually had no clue what I was talking about. Pay no
attention to anything I said.