Cant add new users in Windows XP SP2

July 3, 2005 9:19:00 AM

Hi,
My "user accounts" in Windows XP SP2 home edition, seem to been
*fried*. I have a three year old daughter, who is itching to use the
computer, but I dont want her on in my "administrator" account, so I
would like to resolve this "account issue" and create a limted access
user.

When trying to create a new user account(logged in as administrator),
no corresponding new user directory structure is created under
"Documents and Settings".

When I return to the log in screen (after a log out, not switch user) ,
I can see the new account icon, however, when an attempt is made to log
in, several error messages appear complaining about missing files. The
login screen then reappears. ?@#$%

I have run several chkdsk attempts...nothing reported.

Any ideas why I the system does not create new users? Is this a
permission problem?

More about : add users windows sp2

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 9:42:03 AM

ok - created a new user, them tried to login.

Upon login selection, the following error dialogs appear...

"Windows cannot create a temporary profile directory. This may be
caused by insufficient security rights.

DETAIL: The file or directory is corrput or unreadable.

Windows cannot load the users profile, but has logged you on with the
default...
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 12:25:50 PM

When you create a new user, the profile tree won't be created
until the first login. At that time the Default User profile is applied
to the newly created profile. It sounds like you have some issues
with the Default User profile.
It would help if you could capture the error messages and post
maybe one or two to help run down where the problem is.

"StarCat" <robertbecker@internode.on.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> My "user accounts" in Windows XP SP2 home edition, seem to been
> *fried*. I have a three year old daughter, who is itching to use the
> computer, but I dont want her on in my "administrator" account, so I
> would like to resolve this "account issue" and create a limted access
> user.
>
> When trying to create a new user account(logged in as administrator),
> no corresponding new user directory structure is created under
> "Documents and Settings".
>
> When I return to the log in screen (after a log out, not switch user) ,
> I can see the new account icon, however, when an attempt is made to log
> in, several error messages appear complaining about missing files. The
> login screen then reappears. ?@#$%
>
> I have run several chkdsk attempts...nothing reported.
>
> Any ideas why I the system does not create new users? Is this a
> permission problem?

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 6:38:13 PM

StarCat wrote:

> ok - created a new user, them tried to login.
>
> Upon login selection, the following error dialogs appear...
>
> "Windows cannot create a temporary profile directory. This may be
> caused by insufficient security rights.
>
> DETAIL: The file or directory is corrput or unreadable.
>
> Windows cannot load the users profile, but has logged you on with the
> default...

Start, Run, type in CHKDSK /F, hit Enter, answer Y, restart and let the
disk check run (don't press a key, it will cancel the CHKDSK if you do).

Then restart in Safe Mode (F8), login as Administrator (password is
probably blank), open My Computer, Tools, Folder Options, View, set to
show hidden and system files. Close My Computer.

Right click My Computer, Properties, User Profiles, select a known good
profile such as your working account (but not the currently logged in
user), Copy To, browse to Documents and Settings, Default User and copy.

Restart, login as yourself, delete the failed user account and create a
new one.

Steve
!