Please tell me whats a good digital camera to buy?

Fooja31

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
I've read reviews about Canon having the best cameras. But I also heard they are fragile and have plastic coverings. Are there any metal models? My budget is like $600-700 CAD --> $520 - 610 US. So i would like to get a very good quality camera thanks.

slipchuck

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2002
If you would like a great camera that is better built then the canon, then I would suggest getting what my wife bought, which is a pentax k100. (it even has a metal kit lens)
It is a 6mp Digial SLR, meaning you can change lenses and have lots of control over your photography.(6Mp is good enough for up to 12x18 really sharp photos)
If you go to www.henrys.com it is there with a 18-55mm lens for 799 canadian.
It is one of the easiest cameras to use, and it takes awesome pictures. you can read its review at www.steves-digicams.com. it is one of the cameras that are rated best under $1000 dollars
It has shake reduction, auto programs, and will give you much, much less digital noise in low light photography then any P&S or cameras with built in lenses.
want to shoot portriats? just turn the knob on top of the camera, and when you get to that setting, a photo and discription of what the setting is for shows up on the big 2.5" digital display. all the camera settings will be automatically set to blur the background for you.
landscape photos? close up shots? moving subjects? no problem just turn the dial and it is all set.
you can also use manual if you wish, it is up to you
I bought the more expensive pentax k10 which is 1099 canadian dollars and it really rocks with 10mp

if you want to ask other pentax k100 owners what the camera is like, go to www.pentaxforums.com and just ask, great people who are more then willing to help

good luck with your purchase

phamily

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
depends, what kind of camera? a point and shoot(compact), or a digital slr like slipchuk suggested.
what i would suggest is that you go to your nearest camera store and test them out because most of the time its usually personal preference when it comes to cameras.
If you could find a henry's around that would be great. its a professional photography store.

spencer mccredie

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2009
Canon Powershot SX10IS

I've owned each new version of this camera since the Powershot S2IS. For me this is a worthwhile upgrade over the prior version, the S5IS.

This camera provides quality photos without a lot of hassle, yet also provides a lot of room for growth with plenty of custom settings that I can use if I want to learn how to use them in the future (for example, aperture priority).

In initial testing, the face detection technology seems to work well. I can take a self portrait now and the lighting comes out very good. I think the technology has gone from buzzword marketing to true usefulness. One side benefit of the face detection technology is that it enables the camera to intelligently take red-eye out of pictures without using the red-eye reduction lamp.

The flip-out and rotating viewfinder has always and continues to set this camera apart from its peers from other companies. It allows for less intrusive candid photos and has many other advantages.

Thankfully, the SD card door is separate from the battery door as it was with the S3IS. Thank you Canon! There are times that I just want to take a few pictures, and now I don't have to open the battery door to take the SD card out.

28mm -- I will never get another camera without wide angle built in. I have the Canon Elph 880IS too, which is a very powerful "pocketable" camera that complements this one well.

Sharp 20x zoom. Pictures turn out very good even at high zooms. In an indoor-lit apartment, I can read fairly small print from a photo taken all the way across a room, it truly is amazing.

The picture quality is better at higher ISO's than other cameras. Each model improves on this and this one definitely continues that. I haven't tried out the "I-Contrast" setting (on vs. off) but I can say that in some outdoor pictures that I have taken detail is good in shadow areas.

Finally, a standard lens-cap. It doesn't have a tether, but you can buy a cap attachment from a camera store that sticks on the front of the cap. The one that I got has an elastic band that goes around the base of the lens. I also got a better lens cap which can now be done since it's standard.

I like the new placement of the controls such as dedicated on-off button and display button. I don't think I will like the scroll wheel but time will tell. For those not familiar with this camera, there is a dedicated video button so that you can take video quickly without having to mess with the controls.

Anyway, I did a lot of price comparison and normally I find the best prices for cameras on Amazon, plus they have fast shipping and a great return policy. Check out this camera, you won’t be disappointed!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G5ZTZO?ie=UTF8&tag=burtoa-20&link_code=as3&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=B001G5ZTZO