What is new in Hero 5th Edition revised?

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Originally, I simply disbelieved statements about the
revised edition being 150 or 200 pages longer than the
un-revised edition, because the un-revised edition was
already something like 400 pages. And you can't have a 550
page thick rule book.

But according to a recent review on < http://www.rpg.net >,
the revised edition is that much longer.

So my question is, what the hell are all those new pages
used for? Are the changes (improvements, presumably)
documented anyway?

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org

Peter Knutsen <peter@sagatafl.invalid> writes:
> So my question is, what the hell are all those new pages used
> for? Are the changes (improvements, presumably) documented
> anyway?

As far as I know, the revision amounts to three things: corrections
of typos and errata, some clarifications here and there, and the
addition of a section dealing with using the HERO system for a
variety of genres.

I suspect, therefore, that if you have the original FReD and a
copy of the errata, and are an experienced HERO gamer, that you
probably don't need a copy of revised.

However, I could be wrong in this assessment.

I'm happy to stick with FReD, since I think the book production
is superior (from what I've seen).

--
Viktor Haag : Senior Technical Writer : Research In Motion

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 22:40:41 +0100, Peter Knutsen
<peter@sagatafl.invalid> carved upon a tablet of ether:

> Originally, I simply disbelieved statements about the
> revised edition being 150 or 200 pages longer than the
> un-revised edition, because the un-revised edition was
> already something like 400 pages. And you can't have a 550
> page thick rule book.

Nah, divide it in two and have a 576-page book in two halves. :)

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

The main differences that I have seen.
Material from the FAQs incorporated.
More/better examples.
"Hero System Genre-by-Genre" document included.
Typos corrected.

John D

"The Hero" <gpalechek@neo.rr.com> writes:

> If you can find it, get 5th ed regular. The quality of paper
> and ink is much better and doesn't read like newsprint.

Hear hear!

I bought an extra copy of 5th ed regular as a spare copy, and
found one used that someone had "turned in" to subsidize the cost
of the revised version.

I'm quite happy with the original 5th edition, and wasn't at all
pleased to see the quality of the revised edition. Reminds me of
the huge quality drop in hardcover reprints of the BBB for fourth
ed... 8P