I have an Officejet 6110, approx. 2 yrs old.

When I turned the power on, after plugging in the usb to the computer,
etc. the officejet makes a 'clicking' sound. It's coming from the top
right part of the machine. Sounds like a gear wheel is trying to
engage but not engaging anything.

It appears to be a problem with the motor that drives the bright light
that moves under the glass.

I've contacted support through chat. They gave me some repair centers
close to me, but the repair center wanted $150 for a device worth not
much more than that.

It's past warrantee, so I'd like to take it apart myself and see if
it's
something simple.

All I'm looking for is a repair manual or a document that shows how to
disassemble the unit. Or, some advice/instructions on how to take it
apart.

Specifically, there is a grey plastic piece that surrounds the glass.
It has 5 torx screws that hold it down plus looks like some plastic
tabs that lock it in place. Want to see if you have a diagram or
instructions as to how to lift that grey plastic and the glass up so I
can get to the faulty motor.

Many thanks,

Andrew
aheitner@yahoo.com

Hi,
Sorry I couldn't find a manual for you. I had an OfficeJet Pro 1150C with
the same problem. The scanner head (the part that moves) was sticking on the
stainless steel shaft, causing the belt to slip. I took the top cover off
(4 or 6 screws I believe - 2 were hidden under little plastic covers) and I
put some "3-in-1" oil on the shaft. It worked fine.
Sheldon.

"aheitner" <aheitner@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have an Officejet 6110, approx. 2 yrs old.
>
> When I turned the power on, after plugging in the usb to the computer,
> etc. the officejet makes a 'clicking' sound. It's coming from the top
> right part of the machine. Sounds like a gear wheel is trying to
> engage but not engaging anything.
>
> It appears to be a problem with the motor that drives the bright light
> that moves under the glass.
>
> I've contacted support through chat. They gave me some repair centers
> close to me, but the repair center wanted $150 for a device worth not
> much more than that.
>
> It's past warrantee, so I'd like to take it apart myself and see if
> it's
> something simple.
>
> All I'm looking for is a repair manual or a document that shows how to
> disassemble the unit. Or, some advice/instructions on how to take it
> apart.
>
> Specifically, there is a grey plastic piece that surrounds the glass.
> It has 5 torx screws that hold it down plus looks like some plastic
> tabs that lock it in place. Want to see if you have a diagram or
> instructions as to how to lift that grey plastic and the glass up so I
> can get to the faulty motor.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Andrew
> aheitner@yahoo.com

Michaelchambers60

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Since it 5 years later after your posting, I am sure you moved on to other printers long ago but this may help someone else. I have the same problem with my 6110 and was able to remove the main glass area to expose the scanner mechanism. To remove it you must remove the 5 screws and then remove the keyboard face plate and the keyboard. The keyboard has a ribbon cable that pulls out and take note as to witch way the cable goes because only the ribbon comes out, not what looks like the plug. Then there are two tabs on the front that lift up using a flat screw driver. That will allow the removal of the glass with its housing and expose the carriage. I was able to see the scanner carriage working but found nothing mechanical wrong with it. Manually sliding the carriage to the left caused it to return to the right normally until it reached the end of its travel. It then continued to jump the gears like it had been. My guess is that software or excessive torque tells the main circuit board to turn off the motor and that is not what is happening. If anyone has any further suggestions I would be pleased to here them. At this time I have resigned to getting a new printer.

Michael Chambers
Tampa, FL USA
Michael@airflo.net

jackandjill-46

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
As per Michael Champs instruction of removing the top case exposing the cartridge. The scanner cartridge ridees on a rail, slide the scanner cartridge to the opposite end furthurest from the motor. Then slide it quater away back towards the motor. The drive belt must remove from the cartridge. Look closely and you will see the belt slides down into a slot on the side of the cartridge. In addition there is a keeper sticking out over a belt, to keep the belt down, its located next to the slot. Lifting up the rail on the furthurest end from the mortor approximately 2-3 inches high will allow you to get finger on both sides of the slot. Tug gently up the belt, while trying to clear the keeper. Once remove, place the rod back into its slot. Flip the cartridge over, exposing two half inch mirrors and two indentations, one being your sensor. With Q-tip and alcohol clean both mirrors and sensor, its best to clean both indentations to insure you got sensor. Clean the metal light deflector at the mortor, on all its surface you can get to with paper towel and Q-tip. Clean both sides of your glass surfaces. Put back in reverse order, location of the cartridge on belt does not seem to make a difference, but getting it close will be OK. GOOD LUCK