desktop icons no longer have transparent background

I tried to resolve this in chat, but the suggestions made did not solve the
problem.

Problem as stated above. I have tried clearing and rechecking the "Use drop
shadows for icon lables on desktop" box in System>Advanced>Performace>Visual
effects (the box was already checked when I first looked at it). That didn't
fix the problem, nor did restarting, nor did installing an update for my
video driver.

Additionally, the pictures on my desktop now appear pixelated and shallow,
even when color is set on the highest (32 bit) color setting.

Goto the System Control Panel, Advanced, Performance settings, then click
the Visual Effects tab

Check off Use Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on the desktop

Also in conjunction to the above setting, right click your desktop, then
arrange icons, and make sure lock items to web desktop is not checked off

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"turboren" <turboren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried to resolve this in chat, but the suggestions made did not solve the
> problem.
>
> Problem as stated above. I have tried clearing and rechecking the "Use
> drop
> shadows for icon lables on desktop" box in
> System>Advanced>Performace>Visual
> effects (the box was already checked when I first looked at it). That
> didn't
> fix the problem, nor did restarting, nor did installing an update for my
> video driver.
>
> Additionally, the pictures on my desktop now appear pixelated and shallow,
> even when color is set on the highest (32 bit) color setting.

Gary,

The second part of that recommendation fixed both problems. I have no idea
how that box got checked, but if it happens again, I'll know what to look
for. Thanks a million!

"Gary Tsang" wrote:

> Goto the System Control Panel, Advanced, Performance settings, then click
> the Visual Effects tab
>
> Check off Use Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on the desktop
>
> Also in conjunction to the above setting, right click your desktop, then
> arrange icons, and make sure lock items to web desktop is not checked off
>

> --
> Gary Tsang
> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>

> "turboren" <turboren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I tried to resolve this in chat, but the suggestions made did not solve the
> > problem.
> >
> > Problem as stated above. I have tried clearing and rechecking the "Use
> > drop
> > shadows for icon lables on desktop" box in
> > System>Advanced>Performace>Visual
> > effects (the box was already checked when I first looked at it). That
> > didn't
> > fix the problem, nor did restarting, nor did installing an update for my
> > video driver.
> >
> > Additionally, the pictures on my desktop now appear pixelated and shallow,
> > even when color is set on the highest (32 bit) color setting.

Glad to hear you fixed the issue.

Thanks for the feedback.

--

> Gary,
>
> The second part of that recommendation fixed both problems. I have no
> idea
> how that box got checked, but if it happens again, I'll know what to look
> for. Thanks a million!
>
> "Gary Tsang" wrote:
>
>> Goto the System Control Panel, Advanced, Performance settings, then click
>> the Visual Effects tab
>>
>> Check off Use Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on the desktop
>>
>> Also in conjunction to the above setting, right click your desktop, then
>> arrange icons, and make sure lock items to web desktop is not checked off
>>

>> --
>> Gary Tsang
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>>

>> "turboren" <turboren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I tried to resolve this in chat, but the suggestions made did not solve
>> >the
>> > problem.
>> >
>> > Problem as stated above. I have tried clearing and rechecking the "Use
>> > drop
>> > shadows for icon lables on desktop" box in
>> > System>Advanced>Performace>Visual
>> > effects (the box was already checked when I first looked at it). That
>> > didn't
>> > fix the problem, nor did restarting, nor did installing an update for
>> > my
>> > video driver.
>> >
>> > Additionally, the pictures on my desktop now appear pixelated and
>> > shallow,
>> > even when color is set on the highest (32 bit) color setting.

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Wonderful!!! I've been trying to fix this problem for months. I really
appreciate your help. I wonder why the smallest thing can be so hard to fix
for the average joe like myself?