Using one computer through another?

eimkeith

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2012
I've tried searching on this, but all I'm getting is KVM solutions.

I've purchased a second computer with Adobe CS4 installed as OEM software for doing some work at home, and would like to use it through my existing desktop computer, so as to limit my desk clutter to one keyboard, one mouse and my existing monitor setup.

Since the Adobe suite is OEM, it seems I can't just install the HDD into my primary computer as a second drive (I tried.) I'd like to be able to access and use the 2nd computer through the first one, without having to switch between them (so I can check email and use iTunes [primary computer] while working in Photoshop [second computer], for example.)

Is this possible? If so, is it possible without decrading performance significantly?

Apologies in advanc, but my goals outweigh my expertise in these areas.

yes, but both can be on at the same time, so you'd flick to the other and then flick back. on the same keyboard mouse and video. regardless of solution you'd have to have both on.

Wild card idea, you could virtualise the oem machine, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical-to-Virtual and then run it as a virtual on the main machine. There's free software to do the P2V and free to run the virtual. But does your main machine have the power? perhaps you virtualise the current machine and run it off the oem machine?

Yes. However switching back and forth easy. Depending on the switch it might be a special keyboard combination, while on others you press a button on the switch to cycle between connections.

If you want to use both simultaneously then you will have to double up on displays, keyboards, & mouses (speakers too, if you want sound from both)

eimkeith

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2012
have 2, and not opposed to 3... (2 for primary pc, one for CS4 machine) - don't want 2 keyboards, 2 mice, or the need to switch back and forth if I can work seamlessly across both computers?

eimkeith

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2012
Well, so far, so good! I had some initial trouble getting the 2 boxes to recognize each other (one runs 7 pro, one runs 7 enterprise) and am not sure if they are in the same homegroup yet, but the mouse and keyboard control from the 7 pro box over the 7 enterprise is working.

I also had issues when I tried to change the name of the 7 enterprise box - mouse without borders became inoperable. Changing the name back to what it was when I downloaded the software reolved that.

I have shut down, and restarted the 7 enterprise machine a few times since installation - it automatically starts Mouse without Borders control each time - seamless.

I'm likely to experience issues moving forward (that's just how these things go with me) - and I'm particulalrly concerned about internet safety/security, since both machines have to be on the network and I'm not sure I didn't open up some vulnerabilities getting them to recognize each other.

I'll update the thread as I use this more. As for right now, I'm impressed and excited about the functionality.