Problems with DVD drive

I recently reinstalled microsoft windows xp for my brother and he has a DVD
drive and a cd-writer drive. I managed to get a program for his writer loaded
up okay and it reads cd and cd roms just fine. However, for some reason, the
dvd drive ONLY reads dvds and wont recognize that any other type of cd in it.
After I have tried putting a music cd in it, it just says "Please insert a
disk in to drive I". Whats the deal? I want to be able to burn music from my
dvd drive to the writer but since the dvd drive doesnt see any other type of
cd I cant do it. How do I fix this problem?
1 answer Last reply
More about problems drive

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/1/e/81ed90eb-dd87-4a23-aedc-298a9603b4e4/directx_9c_redist.exe

    --