Sensiva app won't go away

I have been trying to prevent the Sensiva app from loading at startup by
unclicking it at both entries in the Startup List in the Sys Config Utility
@ msconfig.

It isn't succeeding. It keeps rechecking itself, reloading, and I get an
alert sayting:

"You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way
Windows ...

The System Configuration Utility is curretly in Diagnostic or Selective
Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run
every time Windows starts.

Choose the Normal Starup mode on the General Tab to start windows normally
and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.

[ ] Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when
Windows starts"

I have tried the above plus all the combinations I could imagine, but
nothing seems to prevent this app from loading.

rooster

boundary bay, b.c.
12 answers Last reply
More about sensiva away

    Disabling startup items

    You used the System Configuration Utility (msconfig.exe) to disable the
    startup items.

    The programs related to those startup items don't know that they had
    been disabled, they automatically re-enable their startup references.
    They will keep doing this unless...
    a. You stop the reference from each program.
    or
    b. Delete the start reference from the registry.

    The System Configuration Utility is meant to be used for troubleshooting
    not as a startup manager.

    The correct method for removing any startup is to use the program that
    placed it there in the first place. Always check the main program's own
    options or preferences, or the notification area icon's options (if the
    program has one) before resorting to any startup manager.

    Look to see what programs you have listed under the Startup tab. Open
    those programs, one at a time, and look in Options, Settings,
    Preferences, Properties or similar. Look to see if there is an option
    like: Load at startup, or: Start when Windows starts or similar.
    Uncheck or de-select these options.

    With some programs there is no option to stop this. The only way is
    with editing the Registry. My suggestion would be to download, install
    and run Startman or an equivalent start manager.

    [[StartMan is a startup manager created to address some of the
    shortcomings in Microsoft's original System Configuration Utility
    (MSCONFIG.EXE). MSCONFIG is primarily a troubleshooting tool, not a
    startup manager, and as such it does not permit the permanent removal of
    startups - they can only be disabled.]]

    Startman will show what the startup programs are and allow you to
    disable their startup properties. It shows how or where a program is
    started. If a program is started from Registry entry, it shows the
    path, so you can go there and edit (delete) the entry. There is also an
    option that sends you to Pacman's Portal to show a recommendation if a
    particular program should or should not start at startup.

    Startman 1.3.96 is available here:
    http://www.pt.lu/comnet/desc/startman.html

    StartMan is a GOOD Utility, I use it all the time, especially after
    installing software. Everything you install wants to run at startup.
    StartMan shows where something starts from. Check out the Help in
    StartMan also! You can either have StartMan disable startups or just
    use it to find where something is loading from. Best thing is, it only
    runs when you start it. StartMan does not run in the background.

    There other programs that can be used. But I know nothing about them.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uI6pOn%23fFHA.3320@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    rooster <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I have been trying to prevent the Sensiva app from loading at startup by
    > unclicking it at both entries in the Startup List in the Sys Config
    > Utility @ msconfig.
    >

    > It isn't succeeding. It keeps rechecking itself, reloading, and I get an
    > alert sayting:
    >

    > "You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way
    > Windows ...
    >

    > The System Configuration Utility is curretly in Diagnostic or Selective
    > Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run
    > every time Windows starts.
    >

    > Choose the Normal Starup mode on the General Tab to start windows normally
    > and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.
    >

    > [ ] Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility
    > when Windows starts"
    >

    > I have tried the above plus all the combinations I could imagine, but
    > nothing seems to prevent this app from loading.
    >

    > rooster
    >
    > boundary bay, b.c.

    Hi Wes;

    Thanks for the reply. I just recently moved from W98 where I often used
    the Startup Items list to enable/disable/manage programs loading at Startup
    with no difficulty. So the behaviour of this app is unique and a bit
    puzzling to me. Other apps such as MSN Messenger and AVG don't act this way.
    In addition, I only enabled the Sensiva app in the Startup list yesterday
    just to see what it did. I had it disabled previous to this and it wasn’t

    The program isn’t listed in the Add/Delete options. There are only 2
    components listed at START >PROGRAMS>SENSIVA; “Home Page”, and a Shortcut.
    Neither provide an Unistall option. If I understand your Rx correctly, one
    option you are giving me is to go into, “regedit, and delete, "C:\Program
    Files\Sensiva\Sensiva.exe", if I want to prevent it from loading at startup.
    Then delete the, “Homepage”, and Shortcut from the Programs list if they
    remain. Is that about it?

    rooster

    Hi rooster,

    If
    C:\Program Files\Sensiva\Sensiva.exe
    is in a key such as
    or
    then yes.

    If Sensiva.exe is running, right click the Sensiva.exe Notification Area
    icon (by the clock) and look for options like Start when Windows starts,
    etc. and see if you can prevent it from starting.

    What is Sensiva\Sensiva.exe anyway?

    Are we talking Symbol Commander here?
    http://www.sensiva.com/symbolcommander/

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%23074jY$fFHA.3304@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    rooster <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi Wes;
    >
    > Thanks for the reply. I just recently moved from W98 where I often
    > used the Startup Items list to enable/disable/manage programs loading at
    > Startup with no difficulty. So the behaviour of this app is unique and a
    > bit puzzling to me. Other apps such as MSN Messenger and AVG don't act
    > this way. In addition, I only enabled the Sensiva app in the Startup list
    > yesterday just to see what it did. I had it disabled previous to this and
    > it wasn’t loading itself.
    >
    > The program isn’t listed in the Add/Delete options. There are only 2
    > components listed at START >PROGRAMS>SENSIVA; “Home Page”, and a Shortcut.
    > Neither provide an Unistall option. If I understand your Rx correctly, one
    > option you are giving me is to go into, “regedit, and delete, "C:\Program
    > Files\Sensiva\Sensiva.exe", if I want to prevent it from loading at
    > startup. Then delete the, “Homepage”, and Shortcut from the Programs list
    > if they remain. Is that about it?
    >

    > rooster

    Hi again, Wes;

    This is what I found.

    -Optional Components

    IMAIL

    MAPI

    MSFS

    (Default)………REG_SZ

    Hotkey Genius.REG_SZ

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

    +Sensiva.Action

    +Sensiva.CommonPlugin

    +Sensiva.Plugin

    +Sensiva.SoundTheme

    +Sensiva.Symbol

    It was on my machine when I bought it, although apparently not enabled. I
    assumed it was part of the M$, MX Home Suite. It appears to me to be an
    utility for someone with a laptop or some other disability. The Home Page
    per my Program Component Menu is:

    http://www.sensiva.com/

    The icon in my System Tray appeared after I clicked on it to enable it in my
    startup list. It does not behave like other apps. Both R_Click and L_Click
    bring it up on the screen and nothing I have tried can make it go away after
    that. Nothing about Options appears; the page just appears by itself. It
    doesn’t respond to Ctrl +C, nor does the page present the ‘min’, ‘restore’
    and ‘close’ boxes. There are other odd characteristics, but, who cares?

    I have no plan to use it. My preference at this point is to delete the 5
    entries above, provided it doesn’t bebugger anything; i.e., the way my mouse
    works.

    rooster

    rooster,

    If you have no need for it, uninstall Symbol Commander.

    To change or remove a program
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/win_addprog_remove_software.mspx

    See if uninstalling Symbol Commander doesn't remove those registry entries.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OUdSgeGgFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    rooster <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi again, Wes;
    >

    > This is what I found.
    >

    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >
    > -Optional Components
    >
    > IMAIL
    >
    > MAPI
    >
    > MSFS
    >

    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >
    > (Default)………REG_SZ
    >
    > Hotkey Genius.REG_SZ
    >

    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    >
    > +Sensiva.Action
    >
    > +Sensiva.CommonPlugin
    >
    > +Sensiva.Plugin
    >
    > +Sensiva.SoundTheme
    >
    > +Sensiva.Symbol
    >

    > It was on my machine when I bought it, although apparently not enabled. I
    > assumed it was part of the M$, MX Home Suite. It appears to me to be an
    > utility for someone with a laptop or some other disability. The Home Page
    > per my Program Component Menu is:
    >
    > http://www.sensiva.com/
    >

    > The icon in my System Tray appeared after I clicked on it to enable it in
    > my startup list. It does not behave like other apps. Both R_Click and
    > L_Click bring it up on the screen and nothing I have tried can make it go
    > away after that. Nothing about Options appears; the page just appears by
    > itself. It doesn’t respond to Ctrl +C, nor does the page present the
    > ‘min’, ‘restore’ and ‘close’ boxes. There are other odd characteristics,
    > but, who cares?
    >

    > I have no plan to use it. My preference at this point is to delete the 5
    > entries above, provided it doesn’t bebugger anything; i.e., the way my
    > mouse works.
    >

    > rooster

    Wes;

    As I mentioned earlier, “The program isn’t listed in the Add/Delete options”.
    It isn’t in the “population’ of programs, as the reference goes. I’m really
    not clued in as to how ,“Plug-ins”, are referenced, how they actually work
    or how to manage/delete them.

    rooster

    rooster,

    I didn't know what you meant by Add/Delete options. It's called Add or
    Remove Programs.

    You can still remove the start entries in the registry.

    And if you do want to get rid of Symbol Commander...

    You already know that C:\Program Files\Sensiva has the files.

    Just because Windows XP has the Add or Remove Programs feature it doesn't
    mean your application will appear in the list.

    Some items are hidden from Add or Remove Programs intentionally.

    [[The simplest, safest and recommended way to uninstall an application is
    via 'Add/Remove Programs' (in Control Panel).

    Some applications (particularly older ones) do not create an entry in the
    'Add/Remove Programs' list, but instead create an "uninstall" or "remove"
    shortcut in the Start > Program Groups menu.

    The remainder of these notes are intended only if you have tried the above,
    and the application will not uninstall.]]

    How to manually uninstall an application
    http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian/windows/howto_manually_uninstall.htm

    Uninstall Programs Manually
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/manually_uninstall_programs.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:OdI41ANgFHA.3936@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    rooster <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Wes;
    >

    > As I mentioned earlier, “The program isn’t listed in the Add/Delete
    > options”. It isn’t in the “population’ of programs, as the reference
    > goes. I’m really not clued in as to how ,“Plug-ins”, are referenced, how
    > they actually work or how to manage/delete them.
    >

    > rooster

    Wes;

    “”an "uninstall" or "remove" shortcut in the Start > Program Groups menu.””

    If only it had. That is why this app is puzzling to a Newbie like me. There
    isn’t even a leftover from the install; not like there would be …. just
    hoping. All of which contributed to my supposition that it was part of the
    XP Suite, since it seemed to be almost bullet proof.

    I decided to circumvent the problem by doing a, “System Restore”. This
    succeeded in disabling the program, while leaving the entries in the System
    Config. Startup List permanently unchecked. Previously, it kept re-checking
    itself and therefore presenting at startup.

    Sorry about the “Add/Delete” miscue.

    Thanks for the links. I’m sure I’ll need them before long.

    rooster

    Go to Start/Run and type in: services.msc
    Once there, scroll down to see if a service is listed for it, if so, disable
    it.
    Once done, go to Search and type in the app name.
    Once listed, follow the path and take it from there.

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
    > Wes;
    >

    > ""an "uninstall" or "remove" shortcut in the Start > Program Groups
    > menu.""
    >

    > If only it had. That is why this app is puzzling to a Newbie like me.
    > There isn't even a leftover from the install; not like there would be ..
    > just hoping. All of which contributed to my supposition that it was part
    > of the XP Suite, since it seemed to be almost bullet proof.
    >

    > I decided to circumvent the problem by doing a, "System Restore". This
    > succeeded in disabling the program, while leaving the entries in the
    > System Config. Startup List permanently unchecked. Previously, it kept
    > re-checking itself and therefore presenting at startup.
    >

    > Sorry about the "Add/Delete" miscue.
    >

    > Thanks for the links. I'm sure I'll need them before long.
    >

    > rooster

    Hi Kelly;

    Nope; nothing resembling, "Sensiva", nor as Wes describes it, “Symbol
    Commander”, on that list.

    Thanks anyway.

    rooster

    Hi Kelly;

    Nope; nothing resembling, “Sensiva”, nor as Wes describes it, “Symbol
    Commander”, on that list.

    Thanks anyway.

    rooster

    p.s. I thought I posted this response yesterday. Maybe my dog ate it.

    What about SOTEC? Either way, try their support:
    http://www.sensiva.com/support/index.html
    --

    > Hi Kelly;
    >

    > Nope; nothing resembling, "Sensiva", nor as Wes describes it, "Symbol
    > Commander", on that list.
    >
    > Thanks anyway.
    >

    > rooster

Configuration Microsoft Msconfig Windows XP