Champions game mechanics for a certain power

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some suggestions on creating a certain power. I
used to play Champions long ago and think I might like to get back into it.
I'm not up on the current rules and am not sure how to achieve a certain
variation of a power. I hope someone here can provide some suggestions.

The power is the manipulation of light and shadow as it pertains to lighting
conditions on/around the character's body. Basically, the character is
perpetually cloaked in shadow but just enough, to obscure his facial
features and body. For example, if the character was unmasked in public, the
shadows would fold around him to make his facial features undeterminable.
However, to define him in the shadow, the photographic practice of rim
lighting is applied. If it helps in understanding what I'm trying to
achieve, the darkness and rim lighting effect I got from the art direction
for catwoman in the "Batman: The Animated Series tv show." Another example
of the visual imagery is the noir look of Frank Miller's "Sin City" movie
coming out next week.

I think the power would work like polarized/photosensitive lenses used in
prescription sunglasses. His "shadow cloaking power" blends seamlessly with
the lighting conditions of whereever he is. Maybe a gradiated fringe effect
helps smooth the transition into his shadow cloak from a brightly lit area.

Thanks for any help you can give.

kage1065 wrote:
> Hi everyone, I'm looking for some suggestions on creating a certain power. I
> used to play Champions long ago and think I might like to get back into it.
> I'm not up on the current rules and am not sure how to achieve a certain
> variation of a power. I hope someone here can provide some suggestions.
>
> The power is the manipulation of light and shadow as it pertains to lighting
> conditions on/around the character's body. Basically, the character is
> perpetually cloaked in shadow but just enough, to obscure his facial
> features and body. For example, if the character was unmasked in public, the
> shadows would fold around him to make his facial features undeterminable.
{snip}

/Sorry Sarge, I Didn't Get A Good Look At Him/
Change Environment (obscure vision) 16" radius, -5 to PER for Normal Sight
(29 Base Cost); 0 END (+1/2), Personal Immunity (+1/4) (51 Active Cost); No
Range (-1/2), Only To Conceal Identity (-1), (20 Real Cost).

Adding in Persistent (+1/2) makes it (65 Active Cost)/(26 Real Cost).

YMMV, etc.

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 22:31:08 -0500, kage1065 wrote:

> Hi everyone, I'm looking for some suggestions on creating a certain power. I
> used to play Champions long ago and think I might like to get back into it.
> I'm not up on the current rules and am not sure how to achieve a certain
> variation of a power. I hope someone here can provide some suggestions.
>
> The power is the manipulation of light and shadow as it pertains to lighting
> conditions on/around the character's body. Basically, the character is
> perpetually cloaked in shadow but just enough, to obscure his facial
> features and body. For example, if the character was unmasked in public, the
> shadows would fold around him to make his facial features undeterminable.
> However, to define him in the shadow, the photographic practice of rim
> lighting is applied. If it helps in understanding what I'm trying to
> achieve, the darkness and rim lighting effect I got from the art direction
> for catwoman in the "Batman: The Animated Series tv show." Another example
> of the visual imagery is the noir look of Frank Miller's "Sin City" movie
> coming out next week.
>
> I think the power would work like polarized/photosensitive lenses used in
> prescription sunglasses. His "shadow cloaking power" blends seamlessly with
> the lighting conditions of whereever he is. Maybe a gradiated fringe effect
> helps smooth the transition into his shadow cloak from a brightly lit area.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give.

First off, let's see if I have this right: The only actual effect of the
power is to make the guy hard to ID, right?

Darkness vs sight, 0 END persistant (+1) (20 active), always on (-1/2),
no range (-1/2), only to hide identity (-1), 7 points

--
Phoenix

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 22:31:08 -0500, kage1065 <kage1065@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Hi everyone, I'm looking for some suggestions on creating a certain power. I
>used to play Champions long ago and think I might like to get back into it.
>I'm not up on the current rules and am not sure how to achieve a certain
>variation of a power. I hope someone here can provide some suggestions.
>
>The power is the manipulation of light and shadow as it pertains to lighting
>conditions on/around the character's body. Basically, the character is
>perpetually cloaked in shadow but just enough, to obscure his facial
>features and body. For example, if the character was unmasked in public, the
>shadows would fold around him to make his facial features undeterminable.

The problem with a concept like that is it doesn't make sense. If a
character is perpetually cloaked in shadow there would be more effects
than just being unrecognisable. At least, you would be better at
hiding in low light conditions. <sigh> But the answer is
"Invisibility only to conceal facial features" I'd guess would be
something like a -1.5. Or you could do it with Darkness and the same
limitation, as long you got something to see through it.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 01:14:07 -0500, Rick Pikul <rwpikul@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 22:31:08 -0500, kage1065 wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone, I'm looking for some suggestions on creating a certain power. I
>> used to play Champions long ago and think I might like to get back into it.
>> I'm not up on the current rules and am not sure how to achieve a certain
>> variation of a power. I hope someone here can provide some suggestions.
>>
>> The power is the manipulation of light and shadow as it pertains to lighting
>> conditions on/around the character's body. Basically, the character is
>> perpetually cloaked in shadow but just enough, to obscure his facial
>> features and body. For example, if the character was unmasked in public, the
>> shadows would fold around him to make his facial features undeterminable.
>> However, to define him in the shadow, the photographic practice of rim
>> lighting is applied. If it helps in understanding what I'm trying to
>> achieve, the darkness and rim lighting effect I got from the art direction
>> for catwoman in the "Batman: The Animated Series tv show." Another example
>> of the visual imagery is the noir look of Frank Miller's "Sin City" movie
>> coming out next week.
>>
>> I think the power would work like polarized/photosensitive lenses used in
>> prescription sunglasses. His "shadow cloaking power" blends seamlessly with
>> the lighting conditions of whereever he is. Maybe a gradiated fringe effect
>> helps smooth the transition into his shadow cloak from a brightly lit area.
>>
>> Thanks for any help you can give.
>
> First off, let's see if I have this right: The only actual effect of the
>power is to make the guy hard to ID, right?
>
> Darkness vs sight, 0 END persistant (+1) (20 active), always on (-1/2),
>no range (-1/2), only to hide identity (-1), 7 points

It wouldn't be Always On. Otherwise he could be easily identified as
that guy whose face we can't see.

Terry Gareza <TerryG@mailinator.com> wrote in message news:<42465b39$0$243$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>...
> kage1065 wrote:
> > Hi everyone, I'm looking for some suggestions on creating a certain power. I
> > used to play Champions long ago and think I might like to get back into it.
> > I'm not up on the current rules and am not sure how to achieve a certain
> > variation of a power. I hope someone here can provide some suggestions.
> >
> > The power is the manipulation of light and shadow as it pertains to lighting
> > conditions on/around the character's body. Basically, the character is
> > perpetually cloaked in shadow but just enough, to obscure his facial
> > features and body. For example, if the character was unmasked in public, the
> > shadows would fold around him to make his facial features undeterminable.
> {snip}
>
> /Sorry Sarge, I Didn't Get A Good Look At Him/
> Change Environment (obscure vision) 16" radius, -5 to PER for Normal Sight
> (29 Base Cost); 0 END (+1/2), Personal Immunity (+1/4) (51 Active Cost); No
> Range (-1/2), Only To Conceal Identity (-1), (20 Real Cost).
>
> Adding in Persistent (+1/2) makes it (65 Active Cost)/(26 Real Cost).
>
> YMMV, etc.

How about: Images, 1 hex, to sight group, only to obscure facial
features, personal immunity, 0 End.

I dont have my rulebook anymore, so I cant cost it up though.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!/Ha:Ha:Ha)

JC

Smiling Bandit wrote:
> Terry Gareza <TerryG@mailinator.com> wrote in message news:<42465b39$0$243$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>...
>
>>kage1065 wrote:
>>
>>>Hi everyone, I'm looking for some suggestions on creating a certain power. I
>>>used to play Champions long ago and think I might like to get back into it.
>>>I'm not up on the current rules and am not sure how to achieve a certain
>>>variation of a power. I hope someone here can provide some suggestions.
>>>
>>>The power is the manipulation of light and shadow as it pertains to lighting
>>>conditions on/around the character's body. Basically, the character is
>>>perpetually cloaked in shadow but just enough, to obscure his facial
>>>features and body. For example, if the character was unmasked in public, the
>>>shadows would fold around him to make his facial features undeterminable.

Shape Shift (Sight Group), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent
(+1/2) (20 Active Points)

Makes him appear shadowed and indistinct. You might want to add Always
On, Inherent, or Trigger.

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I appreciate it.

Last night after I logged off, I came up with tone more character identifers
and another clarification on the nature of the power I'm trying to develop.
There was a scene in the fiml Desperado (sp?) where Steve Buscemi talks
about Antonio Banderas' characater in a dive bar. He mentions to the effect
nobody could make out his face because he was always in shadow.

I also envisioned the power as being the reverse of a light intensifier
night vision goggles, only this character has a natural darkness intensifier
"field" surrounding him. I think a previous posters said it best "sorry
sarge, I didn't get a good look at him."

Thanks again everyone.

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 06:37:29 +0000, David Johnston wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 01:14:07 -0500, Rick Pikul <rwpikul@sympatico.ca>
> wrote:
>> First off, let's see if I have this right: The only actual effect of the
>>power is to make the guy hard to ID, right?
>>
>> Darkness vs sight, 0 END persistant (+1) (20 active), always on (-1/2),
>>no range (-1/2), only to hide identity (-1), 7 points
>
> It wouldn't be Always On. Otherwise he could be easily identified as
> that guy whose face we can't see.

So replace Always On with HIDO.

--
Phoenix

"Rick Pikul" wrote:

> First off, let's see if I have this right: The only actual effect of the
> power is to make the guy hard to ID, right?
>
> Darkness vs sight, 0 END persistant (+1) (20 active), always on (-1/2),
> no range (-1/2), only to hide identity (-1), 7 points

If the only effect is to hide his ID, why pay points for it at all? Do other
characters pay points for their masks (Darkness vs sight, only to hide
identity, OIF) ?

--
David Meadows
"We're still being hunted and we need to

David Meadows wrote:
> "Rick Pikul" wrote:
>
>>First off, let's see if I have this right: The only actual effect of the
>>power is to make the guy hard to ID, right?
>>
>>Darkness vs sight, 0 END persistant (+1) (20 active), always on (-1/2),
>>no range (-1/2), only to hide identity (-1), 7 points
>

> If the only effect is to hide his ID, why pay points for it at all? Do other
> characters pay points for their masks (Darkness vs sight, only to hide
> identity, OIF) ?

Well, this is a mask that cannot be removed from the character
without his cooperation, so that ought to cost SOMETHING.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:16:04 GMT, Sea Wasp
<seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:

>David Meadows wrote:
>> "Rick Pikul" wrote:
>>
>>>First off, let's see if I have this right: The only actual effect of the
>>>power is to make the guy hard to ID, right?
>>>
>>>Darkness vs sight, 0 END persistant (+1) (20 active), always on (-1/2),
>>>no range (-1/2), only to hide identity (-1), 7 points
>>

>> If the only effect is to hide his ID, why pay points for it at all? Do other
>> characters pay points for their masks (Darkness vs sight, only to hide
>> identity, OIF) ?
>>

> Well, this is a mask that cannot be removed from the character
>without his cooperation, so that ought to cost SOMETHING.

3 point Perq: Not recognisable in his super ID. Clark Kent and Usagi
Tsukino both have it.

rgorman@telusplanet.net (David Johnston) wrote in

> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:16:04 GMT, Sea Wasp
> <seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:
>

>> Well, this is a mask that cannot be removed from the character
>>without his cooperation, so that ought to cost SOMETHING.
>
> 3 point Perq: Not recognisable in his super ID. Clark Kent and Usagi
> Tsukino both have it.

The oddest thing happened when I read that last sentence: I actually read
it (in my head) as "Clark Kent and Tsukino Usagi" -- which caused a major
double-take.

--
Shadow Wolf
shadowolf3400 at yahoo dot com

"Sea Wasp" <seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote in message
> David Meadows wrote:
> > "Rick Pikul" wrote:
> >
> >>First off, let's see if I have this right: The only actual effect of
the
> >>power is to make the guy hard to ID, right?
> >>
> >>Darkness vs sight, 0 END persistant (+1) (20 active), always on (-1/2),
> >>no range (-1/2), only to hide identity (-1), 7 points
> >

> > If the only effect is to hide his ID, why pay points for it at all? Do
other
> > characters pay points for their masks (Darkness vs sight, only to hide
> > identity, OIF) ?
> >

> Well, this is a mask that cannot be removed from the character
> without his cooperation, so that ought to cost SOMETHING.

But if a mask can be removed then it's just an OIF, so if the shadow
disguise costs SOMETHING then a mask must cost SOMETHING / (1 + 0.5).

--
David Meadows
"We're still being hunted and we need to
stay one step ahead." - Don, Heroes #23
Heroes: the comic book www.heroes.force9.co.uk/scripts

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 23:41:47 +0100, "David Meadows"
<david@no.spam.here.uk> wrote:

>"Sea Wasp" <seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote in message
>> David Meadows wrote:

>the

>> > If the only effect is to hide his ID, why pay points for it at all? Do
>other
>> > characters pay points for their masks (Darkness vs sight, only to hide
>> > identity, OIF) ?
>> >

>> Well, this is a mask that cannot be removed from the character
>> without his cooperation, so that ought to cost SOMETHING.
>
>But if a mask can be removed then it's just an OIF, so if the shadow
>disguise costs SOMETHING then a mask must cost SOMETHING / (1 + 0.5).

The difference, of course is that masks are mundane.

David Johnston wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:16:04 GMT, Sea Wasp
> <seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:
>

>>David Meadows wrote:

>>>If the only effect is to hide his ID, why pay points for it at all? Do other
>>>characters pay points for their masks (Darkness vs sight, only to hide
>>>identity, OIF) ?
>>>

>> Well, this is a mask that cannot be removed from the character
>>without his cooperation, so that ought to cost SOMETHING.
>

> 3 point Perq: Not recognisable in his super ID. Clark Kent and Usagi
> Tsukino both have it.

With Usagi-chan it's even worse; people can't recognize her despite
the fact that she's changed NOTHING about her face, hair, etc.; at
least Clark Kent makes a token effort in that direction.

Maybe it's the short-short-skirt and hidden bustier concealed in the
Senshi outfit that's drawing attention elsewhere?

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

"David Johnston" <rgorman@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 23:41:47 +0100, "David Meadows"
> <david@no.spam.here.uk> wrote:
>
> >"Sea Wasp" <seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote in message

> >the

Do
> >other
> >> >

> >> Well, this is a mask that cannot be removed from the character
> >> without his cooperation, so that ought to cost SOMETHING.
> >
> >But if a mask can be removed then it's just an OIF, so if the shadow
> >disguise costs SOMETHING then a mask must cost SOMETHING / (1 + 0.5).
>
> The difference, of course is that masks are mundane.

Irrelevant, I think. "Made of cloth" is a special effect, as is "made of
shadows". And you don't pay for the special effect of a power, you pay for
the *useful* effect, which in the case of both a cloth mask and a
supernatural shadow mask is exactly the same: to hide identity. If you pay
for one, you should pay for the other. If you don't pay for one, you
shouldn't need to pay for the other.

--
David Meadows
"We're still being hunted and we need to
stay one step ahead." - Don, Heroes #23
Heroes: the comic book www.heroes.force9.co.uk/scripts

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:18:48 +0100, "David Meadows"
<david@no.spam.here.uk> wrote:

>"David Johnston" <rgorman@telusplanet.net> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 23:41:47 +0100, "David Meadows"
>> <david@no.spam.here.uk> wrote:
>>
>> >"Sea Wasp" <seaobviouswasp@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote in message

>> >the

>(-1/2),

>Do
>> >other
>hide

>> >But if a mask can be removed then it's just an OIF, so if the shadow
>> >disguise costs SOMETHING then a mask must cost SOMETHING / (1 + 0.5).
>>
>> The difference, of course is that masks are mundane.
>
>Irrelevant, I think. "Made of cloth" is a special effect, as is "made of
>shadows".

Do you make every character buy their home as a headquarters? Or are
headquarters free?

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:18:48 +0100, "David Meadows"
> <david@no.spam.here.uk> wrote:
>
> >"David Johnston" <rgorman@telusplanet.net> wrote in message

> >(-1/2),

> >Do
> >hide

> >> The difference, of course is that masks are mundane.
> >
> >Irrelevant, I think. "Made of cloth" is a special effect, as is "made of
> >shadows".
>
> Do you make every character buy their home as a headquarters? Or are
> headquarters free?

Actually, I gave them a headquarters for free. But I know what you're
getting at, and it's a good point and a good analogy with the mask
situation.

So, running with the analogy, if the headquarters is simply a place to live,
rest, and watch TV, I wouldn't charge points for it because it's just a
home. If it does *more* than could be expected of a mundane home, I would
charge points for the extras.

Similarly, I don't think would charge points for a power that did no more
than a mundane mask. If the power did *more* than a cloth mask (gave you
more PRE, for example) then I would charge points for it. I actually have a
character who wears a "mundane" mask that increases his presence (not
supernaturally - it's a psychological thing), which he obviously pays for.

I still maintain that if the shadows are no more than a fancy way to
describe something that every other character gets for free (i.e.
concealment of facial features), then it's unfair to charge for it. You're
effectively penalising the player for having an imaginative costume design.

--
David Meadows
"From me, goodbye and God bless. I hope you enjoyed the show."

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:15:40 +0100, "David Meadows"
<david@no.spam.here.uk> wrote:

>Similarly, I don't think would charge points for a power that did no more
>than a mundane mask.

It does do more than a mundane mask though. Mundane masks can be
removed. But no matter how much you try, you can never see this guy's
face when he's in his ID. Still, it's an awfully trivial thing, to be
sure. That's why I didn't like it. It's kind of like getting Change
Environment for no other purpose than to make sure that your cape
flutters.

David Johnston wrote:

> It does do more than a mundane mask though. Mundane masks can be
> removed. But no matter how much you try, you can never see this guy's
> face when he's in his ID. Still, it's an awfully trivial thing, to be
> sure. That's why I didn't like it. It's kind of like getting Change
> Environment for no other purpose than to make sure that your cape
> flutters.

I got that as a one or two point power in Amber on my cape. It had
the 4-point "Invulnerable to Conventional Weapons" and a one or two
point "Dramatic Effects" power.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:49:01 +0000, Sea Wasp wrote:

> David Johnston wrote:

>> 3 point Perq: Not recognisable in his super ID. Clark Kent and Usagi
>> Tsukino both have it.
>
> With Usagi-chan it's even worse; people can't recognize her despite
> the fact that she's changed NOTHING about her face, hair, etc.; at least
> Clark Kent makes a token effort in that direction.
>
> Maybe it's the short-short-skirt and hidden bustier concealed in the
> Senshi outfit that's drawing attention elsewhere?

Nah, it's just a SEP field. Same as the ones that did things like
keeping Tokyo from noticing the Dead Moon Circus in SuperS.

--
Phoenix

kage1065 wrote:
> Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I appreciate it.
>
> Last night after I logged off, I came up with tone more character identifers
> and another clarification on the nature of the power I'm trying to develop.
> There was a scene in the fiml Desperado (sp?) where Steve Buscemi talks
> about Antonio Banderas' characater in a dive bar. He mentions to the effect
> nobody could make out his face because he was always in shadow.
>
> I also envisioned the power as being the reverse of a light intensifier
> night vision goggles, only this character has a natural darkness intensifier
> "field" surrounding him. I think a previous posters said it best "sorry
> sarge, I didn't get a good look at him."
>
> Thanks again everyone.

You're welcome. Glad you liked it. :)

BTW: Smiling Bandit: that would work too. :)
BTW: JC: If it weren't for the fact that 5th Ed. so-called "Shapeshift" is
a broken POS, I'd say that method works. However, since it *is*, then I'd
say you've basically got Images there. :-/

Interesting idea, kage1065. :)

> BTW: JC: If it weren't for the fact that 5th Ed. so-called "Shapeshift" is
> a broken POS, I'd say that method works. However, since it *is*, then I'd
> say you've basically got Images there. :-/

No, basically what you have is a mask with a special effect.