Sign in with
Your question

NEC 90GX2 or SAMSUNG 941BW

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 26, 2006 6:57:25 AM

Ok, so I'm looking to get an LCD. Planning on doing some gaming to include FPS like FEAR/HL2/CS:S/Rainbow 6: Las Vegas, watching videos, and getting into some image editing with Photoshop down the road once I learn how to use it.

So I've been looking at these 2 monitors specifically.

NEC 90GX2

SAMSUNG 941BW

The Samsung is widescreen and costs $180 after rebate.

The NEC comes in at around $300 after rebate and has +200 higher contrast ratio.

So my question is, does that NEC really come through to justify the price difference? It seems to be getting all stellar reviews.

Is there anything else that would function better in the $300 or less price range?
December 26, 2006 4:45:36 PM

Quote:
Ok, so I'm looking to get an LCD. Planning on doing some gaming to include FPS like FEAR/HL2/CS:S/Rainbow 6: Las Vegas, watching videos, and getting into some image editing with Photoshop down the road once I learn how to use it.

So I've been looking at these 2 monitors specifically.

NEC 90GX2

SAMSUNG 941BW

The Samsung is widescreen and costs $180 after rebate.

The NEC comes in at around $300 after rebate and has +200 higher contrast ratio.

So my question is, does that NEC really come through to justify the price difference? It seems to be getting all stellar reviews.

Is there anything else that would function better in the $300 or less price range?

I'm a fan of the 90GX2, as I like Brite screen... that's the most "glaring" difference. If you like the Brite screen a lot, the choice is easy.
December 27, 2006 12:08:23 AM

Is it gonna make a difference? yes, definitely. LCDs are not the best choice to learn quality image editing on in the first place, but if you must, at least go for the best -- an IPS based panel like the 90GX2. Added that, the 90GX2 also has a fairly good response time. The shiny screen will also result in richer looking colors and won't have the blotchy looking colors, which is not as good for image editing. (On the other hand, I must realize the fact that some people are not able to pick out subtle differences in color quality when image editing; if you think this applies to you, then maybe consider the cheaper model.)
Note: one problem with the shiny screen is the large amount of reflections, which can be bad for your eyes/give you a headache.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 27, 2006 4:32:52 PM

The 90GX2 is actually a TN panel. At least according to everyting I've read. You can do a panel lookup on TFT Central. xbitlabs.com also mentions this in their review. If you step up to the NEC 20WGX2, that is S-IPS according to both of the above sites but it is almost double the price, at least in the US. Reviews on both NEC models seem to be mostly very good.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the Samsung 971P may fit the bill for ~$300 monitor. Haven't seen it in gaming action but screen colors and viewing angles are excellent.
December 27, 2006 10:38:56 PM

Quote:
The 90GX2 is actually a TN panel. At least according to everyting I've read. You can do a panel lookup on TFT Central. xbitlabs.com also mentions this in their review. If you step up to the NEC 20WGX2, that is S-IPS according to both of the above sites but it is almost double the price, at least in the US. Reviews on both NEC models seem to be mostly very good.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the Samsung 971P may fit the bill for ~$300 monitor. Haven't seen it in gaming action but screen colors and viewing angles are excellent.

Hmm... you might be right there. I don't know why I was thinking that. Maybe I was thinking of the 20WGX2 that you mentioned. In that case, then unless you really need the shiny finish, the $100 difference is very likely not worth it.
December 28, 2006 1:49:57 AM

Quote:

"... unless you really need the shiny finish, the $100 difference is very likely not worth it.

Nobody *needs* the shiny screen... it's just cool. :D 
December 28, 2006 1:56:46 AM

Quote:

"... unless you really need the shiny finish, the $100 difference is very likely not worth it.

Well it does get rid of the blotchy looking colors (which is good for critical image editing work).... As for agreeing with you regarding it being cool, the picture/colors sure do look nice :)  except when it comes to that glare :( 
December 28, 2006 2:02:15 AM

Quote:

Well it does get rid of the blotchy looking colors (which is good for critical image editing work).... As for agreeing with you regarding it being cool, the picture/colors sure do look nice :)  except when it comes to that glare :( 

There is only a glare if you can't orient the monitor in such a way to eliminate it or turn off certain lights. I never notice any glare with mine when it's turned on.
December 28, 2006 2:59:40 AM

Well after careful consideration I decided to go with the NEC 90GX2 over the Samsung 941B and the Viewsonic VX922.

It's getting great reviews on Newegg, even among those that have used the Viewsonic VX922, so I decided to shell out the extra cash. The main thing that was leaving me hesitant about making the jump from CRT to LCD was the whole issue of getting a panel with dead/stuck pixels and having to keep it, so we'll just have to see how that turns out.
!