Sing in to MS Net passport when exploring folder?

Today, I was browsing through windows explorer, in my c: windows/documents
and settings/ don burnette/ folder. Upon going into the folder, I got a pop
up window prompting me to sign in to Passport. This has just started today,
and the prompt comes up as soon as I open the don burnette folder.

Why would I be getting this popup when exploring into this folder? I usually
go in there on a weekly basis to delete the temp and temp internet files
folders.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
of the man that's doing it."

Usually, one "signs on" using Passport, not "sing in".
What song are you singing into Passport?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Don Burnette" wrote:

| Today, I was browsing through windows explorer, in my c: windows/documents
| and settings/ don burnette/ folder. Upon going into the folder, I got a pop
| up window prompting me to sign in to Passport. This has just started today,
| and the prompt comes up as soon as I open the don burnette folder.
|
| Why would I be getting this popup when exploring into this folder? I usually
| go in there on a weekly basis to delete the temp and temp internet files
| folders.
|
| --
| Don Burnette

Sorry, typo.

When I open my " don burnette" folder in documents and settings, I
immediately get a prompt to sign in to net passport.

It just started doing this, any ideas why?

--

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> Usually, one "signs on" using Passport, not "sing in".
> What song are you singing into Passport?
>

>> Today, I was browsing through windows explorer, in my c:
>> windows/documents and settings/ don burnette/ folder. Upon going
>> into the folder, I got a pop up window prompting me to sign in to
>> Passport. This has just started today, and the prompt comes up as
>> soon as I open the don burnette folder.
>>
>> Why would I be getting this popup when exploring into this folder? I
>> usually go in there on a weekly basis to delete the temp and temp
>> internet files folders.
>>
>> --
>> Don Burnette

From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Don Burnette had this to
say:

> Sorry, typo.
>
> When I open my " don burnette" folder in documents and settings, I
> immediately get a prompt to sign in to net passport.
>
> It just started doing this, any ideas why?

Your system has been infected by spyware. Better known as .NET Passport.

--
Get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP here:
"A must-have for your Toy Operating System"

NoStop wrote:
> From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Don Burnette had
> this to say:
>
>> Sorry, typo.
>>
>> When I open my " don burnette" folder in documents and settings, I
>> immediately get a prompt to sign in to net passport.
>>
>> It just started doing this, any ideas why?
>>
> Your system has been infected by spyware. Better known as .NET
> Passport.

But why did it just start doing this? I go into that folder every weekend to
empty it, and only today did it start prompting for me to sign in.

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Don Burnette had this to
say:

> NoStop wrote:
>> From his spyware and virus infected Windoze box, Don Burnette had
>> this to say:
>>
>>> Sorry, typo.
>>>
>>> When I open my " don burnette" folder in documents and settings, I
>>> immediately get a prompt to sign in to net passport.
>>>
>>> It just started doing this, any ideas why?
>>>
>> Your system has been infected by spyware. Better known as .NET
>> Passport.
>

> But why did it just start doing this? I go into that folder every weekend
> to empty it, and only today did it start prompting for me to sign in.

Sorry but I don't let spyware anywhere near my XP box. Go and ask Carey
Frisch {MVP] for help. He'll tell you all about the wonderful eXPerience
you're now getting. That's if he has time to get beyond correcting your
typos.

Best of luck!

--

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 22:25:30 -0500, Don Burnette wrote:

> But why did it just start doing this? I go into that folder every weekend to
> empty it, and only today did it start prompting for me to sign in.

Don, is there an internet shortcut loose in the folder? If yes, try moving
it into a subfolder and see if the problem continues. (I haven't seen this
happen in XP yet but it occurred in other versions of Windows. Worth a try
anyhow.)

Also check the system for spyware and virus. I like AdAware for detecting
and removing adware and spyware. An online scanner is good for a second
opinion if your resident antivirus app isn't picking up anything:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 20:12:59 -0500, Don Burnette wrote:

> I did, problem still persists. It is when I go in my user folder ( Don B)
> in documents and settings that I get this immediate prompt to sign in to net
> passport.
> Cleaned out temp folders, rebooted, still same problem. No internet shortcut
> in there that I see... I've done a full system scan with ad-aware, still
> this issue remains.
>
> Very strange.

It is a strange problem. Am sorry that I don't have any more suggestions
for you.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

kelly

Is this happening on an external drive and you used a backup? Do you play
Halo from your PC? Is ASP.Net updated, IIS, Office is fine if installed?
Am very curious about this one.

Added info:

Go to Start/Run and type in: control userpasswords2. Once there:

Advanced, Manage Passwords. Or, Control Panel, User Accounts, select a user
then Manage my network passwords.

..Net Passport Member Services: http://memberservices.passport.net/

Go to Start/Run and type in: control userpasswords2. Advanced/Manage
Passwords/Remove.

Tip:

Add Control Userpasswords2 to the Control Panel (Line 1)

You can also check here: Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MessengerService\ListCache\.NET
Messenger Service. In the right pane, Identity Name

Disable Storage of .Net Passwords (Line 223) Right hand side

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Sharon F wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 20:12:59 -0500, Don Burnette wrote:
>
>> I did, problem still persists. It is when I go in my user folder (
>> Don B) in documents and settings that I get this immediate prompt to
>> sign in to net passport.
>> Cleaned out temp folders, rebooted, still same problem. No internet
>> shortcut in there that I see... I've done a full system scan with
>> ad-aware, still this issue remains.
>>
>> Very strange.
>
> It is a strange problem. Am sorry that I don't have any more
> suggestions for you.

Thanks for trying Sharon!!

--
Don Burnette

Hi Kelly,

No, not from an external drive or backup.
Do not have Halo.
Asp.net is updated, also am current with all windows XP updates, as well as
office.

I'll look at some of the other suggestions when I have more time, gotta run
to work.

Thanks,

Don Burnette

Kelly wrote:
> Is this happening on an external drive and you used a backup? Do you
> play Halo from your PC? Is ASP.Net updated, IIS, Office is fine if
> installed? Am very curious about this one.
>
> Added info:
>
> Go to Start/Run and type in: control userpasswords2. Once there:
>
> Advanced, Manage Passwords. Or, Control Panel, User Accounts, select
> a user then Manage my network passwords.
>

> .Net Passport Member Services: http://memberservices.passport.net/
>
> Go to Start/Run and type in: control userpasswords2. Advanced/Manage
> Passwords/Remove.
>
> Tip:
>
> Add Control Userpasswords2 to the Control Panel (Line 1)
>
> You can also check here: Start/Run/Regedit
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MessengerService\ListCache\.NET
> Messenger Service. In the right pane, Identity Name
>
> Disable Storage of .Net Passwords (Line 223) Right hand side
>

> "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 20:12:59 -0500, Don Burnette wrote:
>>
>>> I did, problem still persists. It is when I go in my user folder (
>>> Don B)
>>> in documents and settings that I get this immediate prompt to sign
>>> in to net
>>> passport.
>>> Cleaned out temp folders, rebooted, still same problem. No internet
>>> shortcut
>>> in there that I see... I've done a full system scan with ad-aware,
>>> still this issue remains.
>>>
>>> Very strange.
>>
>> It is a strange problem. Am sorry that I don't have any more
>> suggestions for you.
>>
>> --
>> Sharon F
>> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Hi Kelly,

I am not sure what you are suggesting I do when I get in the control
userpasswords2 advanced/manage passwords option.
When I get there, it lists "passport.net\*(passport) . This is the only
entry listed in the edit or remove option.
Are you suggesting I remove this entry?

Thanks,

Don Burnette

> Kelly wrote:
>> Is this happening on an external drive and you used a backup? Do you
>> play Halo from your PC? Is ASP.Net updated, IIS, Office is fine if
>> installed? Am very curious about this one.
>>
>> Added info:
>>
>> Go to Start/Run and type in: control userpasswords2. Once there:
>>
>> Advanced, Manage Passwords. Or, Control Panel, User Accounts, select
>> a user then Manage my network passwords.
>>

>> .Net Passport Member Services: http://memberservices.passport.net/
>>
>> Go to Start/Run and type in: control userpasswords2. Advanced/Manage
>> Passwords/Remove.
>>
>> Tip:
>>
>> Add Control Userpasswords2 to the Control Panel (Line 1)
>>
>> You can also check here: Start/Run/Regedit
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MessengerService\ListCache\.NET
>> Messenger Service. In the right pane, Identity Name
>>
>> Disable Storage of .Net Passwords (Line 223) Right hand side
>>

>> "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message

>>> It is a strange problem. Am sorry that I don't have any more
>>> suggestions for you.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Sharon F
>>> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

You can drag things out over days, can't you. I notice you don't give any information that a diagnosis could be made on. What's in the folder.