I recently purchased HP HDX18t with P8400 processor, I want to upgrade to X9100 myself but do not know how to disassemble the unit to access processor area. Can anyone has experience on this laptop give me the step-by-step guide. Thanks a lot.
Step by step guides will hard to come by. I've never dismantled that notebook, but I've taken apart a good 30 more or so. Here's a small set of guidlines you can follow:
1. Start by removing all easily removable pars - RAM, disk drives, etc.
2. Move to the bottom of the unit, and remove all the screws.
3. Turn it over and remove the plastic plate that is directly above the keyboard.
4. Then remove the keyboard.
5. You should now look to see what your next move is. Use your common sense. If you can't figure out how to remove a panel, stop, take a breathe (don't get frustrated!), get a flashlight, and spend a few minutes just looking at the notebook.
6. You should eventually get to a point to where you can remove the entire top deck (where the keyboard use to lay) which should give you access to all components.
7. Watch out for cables that go from the motherboard to the screen. Don't forget to plug these back in!
Thanks for the guide. I did up to step 2 but step 3 seems tough. I cannot find which part that I can remove first, the palm rest or the part right above the keyboard toward the screen. I never open any HP laptop, need hint for step 3. Thank you.
then it looks like the panel right above the KB should pop off. There should be indentations where you can put in a small flathead to start, make sure you cover the tip with a microfiber cloth or something similar.
What you want is the "HP HDX 18 Entertainment PC - Maintenance and Service Guide"
Detailed instructions are on the HP web site. Go to http://www.hp.com/go/support/ and enter HDX18t. It will ask if yours is the -1000, -1100, or -1200. Mine is the latter, however I only saw the Guide under the -1000.
Click on "Manuals" and you should see the Maintenance and Service Guide. Enjoy!