Data Execution Prevention error with AVI files in Windows ..

New AMD machine, New Windows XP Pro install (2nd Edition), Reinstall original
applications off original CDs for previous PC broken. Windows Explorer
constantly DEPs when I even select an AVI file. Execution directly in
Windows Media Player gives DEP in Windows Windows Explorer. Execution in
Quick-Time Pro does the same. I have Norton System Works PRO for virus, etc.
and I have Zone Alarm Firewall ... I believe there are no viruses.

Latest versions of everything. I have both Roxio 7.5 and Studio 9.4 and I
cannot work on video downloads and movie creation until this is fixed. I
know how to disable DEP but would prefer to keep the general protection.
What can I do.
Bruce Quayle, Bruce_Quayle(remove this)@ieee.org

"brquayle" <brquayle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> New AMD machine, New Windows XP Pro install (2nd Edition), Reinstall
> original
> applications off original CDs for previous PC broken. Windows Explorer
> constantly DEPs when I even select an AVI file. Execution directly in
> Windows Media Player gives DEP in Windows Windows Explorer. Execution in
> Quick-Time Pro does the same. I have Norton System Works PRO for virus,
> etc.
> and I have Zone Alarm Firewall ... I believe there are no viruses.
>
> Latest versions of everything. I have both Roxio 7.5 and Studio 9.4 and I
> cannot work on video downloads and movie creation until this is fixed. I
> know how to disable DEP but would prefer to keep the general protection.
> What can I do.
> Bruce Quayle, Bruce_Quayle(remove this)@ieee.org

There are many problems with DEP and some video codecs. It is very hard to
troubleshoot. Once you find the offending codec or program it can either be
uninstalled or DEP turned off for that program only. Some versions of divx
and Pinnacle Studio are known to cause problems. I have seen a few other
codecs cause problems but it was intermittant. Here are some links that may
help. The Pinnacle Systems forums are a good place to get help
troubleshooting video editing related problems.

http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/versions/knownissues.php

http://webboard.pinnaclesys.com/read_forums.asp?WebboardID=1&SectionID=227&lng=1

Kerry

brquayle wrote:
> New AMD machine, New Windows XP Pro install (2nd Edition), Reinstall
> original applications off original CDs for previous PC broken.
> Windows Explorer constantly DEPs when I even select an AVI file.
> Execution directly in Windows Media Player gives DEP in Windows
> Windows Explorer. Execution in Quick-Time Pro does the same. I have
> Norton System Works PRO for virus, etc. and I have Zone Alarm
> Firewall ... I believe there are no viruses.
>
> Latest versions of everything. I have both Roxio 7.5 and Studio 9.4
> and I cannot work on video downloads and movie creation until this is
> fixed. I know how to disable DEP but would prefer to keep the
> general protection. What can I do.
> Bruce Quayle, Bruce_Quayle(remove this)@ieee.org

Get over your preference to keep DEP turned on.

--
Peace!
Kurt

I was having the same problem so i disabled DEP and now whenever i open the folder that contains the file my computer says a problem has accured and windows shuts it down.

When transfered by a usb to another computer with the same operating system (Windows xp) both computers made by Dell and it works fine.

Any Ideas