Anything wrong with this?

icculus

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2004
Im in the planning stages of putting together a new comp; AMD 64 3000 (maybe 3200), 2 x 512 MB DDR 3200, etc...
I have a brand new 40 gig 7200 rpm HDD that i could use and therefore save me money, or I was eyeing the new 10000 RPM HDDs. My question is: Does HDD size (i.e. 40 gig vs. 80 gig both the same RPM make a difference with speed or overall system performance? If I had a 40 gig at 90% capacity as opposed to a 80 gig at ~50 gig capacity will that affect system speed/performance? Sorry for the rambling and thanks in advance for any advice.
Matt

poly4life

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
Not really, unless your extremely picky about time - which would make sense if you count in milliseconds at real-time. Actually, in truth, bigger hard drives will usually result in better performance, not because of bigger capacity but other factors, such as number of platters, average latency, and average read/write seek time. To answer your question, I'd take the 80 gig at 50 gig capacity, assuming the 80 gig is superior in its engineering (i.e. shorter average latency). Continuing that assumption, expect, on the average, better system performance. Of course, if your running, say, BeOS, as opposed to XP, then HDD questions are the least of your worries.

NOte: Sorry if I offended any users of BeOS. I was just making a point that, unfortunately, as nice an OS as BeOS is, most of the world has moved on. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by poly4life on 08/05/04 04:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Nooo, OS/2 WILL OWNZ0R ALL OF JOO!!!!

j/k

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl