16 bit windows subsystem

Does anyone know why I get the following error now when I try to run
several of my desktop icons? They used to all work fine; now all of a
sudden I get this error:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
terminate the application.

--
Deepa
5 answers Last reply

    Hi,

    The simplest method to resolve this common problem is to copy autoexec.nt
    from C:\Windows\repair to C:\Windows\system32 and overwrite the one that is
    currently there.

    Alternately, you can create a new autoexec.nt file and save it to the
    \windows\system32 folder to overwrite the corrupted one. Click start/run and
    type notepad, then click ok. Copy/paste the below code into it (instead of
    typing it in to prevent errors), then click file/"save as". Navigate to the
    C:\Windows\system32 folder, change the "save as file" type to "all types"
    and name the file autoexec.nt, then click save (if prompted to overwrite the
    existing one, do so).

    @echo off
    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir
    lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx
    SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

    Reboot when finished. This usually fixes it, but you will find further steps
    here if it doesn't:

    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
    program
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

    Basically, you will have to expand new copies of command.com, autoexec.nt,
    and config.nt to the system32 folder from the WinXP CD or I386 folder on
    your hard drive. Sometimes, you need to create new ones and overwrite the
    existing ones - the method is described in the article.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Deepa" <Deepa.1rltpm@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Does anyone know why I get the following error now when I try to run
    > several of my desktop icons? They used to all work fine; now all of a
    > sudden I get this error:
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
    > running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
    > terminate the application.
    >

    > --
    > Deepa

    Hi

    Please see if the following article helps:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Deepa" <Deepa.1rltpm@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Does anyone know why I get the following error now when I try to run
    > several of my desktop icons? They used to all work fine; now all of a
    > sudden I get this error:
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
    > running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
    > terminate the application.
    >

    > --
    > Deepa

    Rick,
    Thank you muchly! - I had the same problem - will see if it works now....

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > The simplest method to resolve this common problem is to copy autoexec.nt
    > from C:\Windows\repair to C:\Windows\system32 and overwrite the one that is
    > currently there.
    >
    > Alternately, you can create a new autoexec.nt file and save it to the
    > \windows\system32 folder to overwrite the corrupted one. Click start/run and
    > type notepad, then click ok. Copy/paste the below code into it (instead of
    > typing it in to prevent errors), then click file/"save as". Navigate to the
    > C:\Windows\system32 folder, change the "save as file" type to "all types"
    > and name the file autoexec.nt, then click save (if prompted to overwrite the
    > existing one, do so).
    >
    > @echo off
    > lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
    > lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir
    > lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx
    > SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3
    >
    > Reboot when finished. This usually fixes it, but you will find further steps
    > here if it doesn't:
    >
    > Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
    > program
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767
    >
    > Basically, you will have to expand new copies of command.com, autoexec.nt,
    > and config.nt to the system32 folder from the WinXP CD or I386 folder on
    > your hard drive. Sometimes, you need to create new ones and overwrite the
    > existing ones - the method is described in the article.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Deepa" <Deepa.1rltpm@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Does anyone know why I get the following error now when I try to run
    > > several of my desktop icons? They used to all work fine; now all of a
    > > sudden I get this error:
    > >
    > > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
    > > running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to
    > > terminate the application.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Deepa

    YES!! Thanks again Rick - it worked fine. Now I can access my MYOB files
    again and the taxman will get his 'return'. Thank you, thank you, thank
    you....

    http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#12

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

System File Microsoft Desktop Icons Windows XP