Asterisk

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Is there any site where a consolidated presentation of the Fast Hero
'rules' are available? I want to start a Champions campaign this summer
and a number of my players-to-be are balking at learning the combat
rules for Hero 5 (they are habitual D20 players) even as they have been
stripped down in Sidekick, so I'm looking for a Hero 5 Very Lite system
to allay their disquiet and to shoehorn them into the more ample regular
system.

Asterisk

Asterisk@webtv.net wrote:
> Is there any site where a consolidated presentation of the Fast Hero
> 'rules' are available? I want to start a Champions campaign this summer
> and a number of my players-to-be are balking at learning the combat
> rules for Hero 5 (they are habitual D20 players) even as they have been
> stripped down in Sidekick, so I'm looking for a Hero 5 Very Lite system
> to allay their disquiet and to shoehorn them into the more ample regular
> system.
>
> Asterisk

I have not heard of a stripped down version of Hero. If you do not have
the UNTIL Superpowers Database get it now, it makes character creation
much easier.
If you are willing to try it Champion New Millenium 2nd (a Fuzion System
game) might be a bit easier for them to learn (or maybe not) but good
luck finding it.
Ken

Asterisk@webtv.net <Asterisk@webtv.net> wrote:
> Is there any site where a consolidated presentation of the Fast Hero
> 'rules' are available?

Not that I know of, although it should be easy enough to find all of the
articles in the Google archives by searching for the "Fast Hero" tag.

> I want to start a Champions campaign this summer and a number of my
> players-to-be are balking at learning the combat rules for Hero 5
> (they are habitual D20 players) even as they have been stripped down
> in Sidekick, so I'm looking for a Hero 5 Very Lite system to allay
> their disquiet and to shoehorn them into the more ample regular
> system.

Note that the Fast Hero articles weren't a comprehensive project. They
were just a few articles I wrote offering suggestions to minimize
typical HERO slowdowns (i.e., counting fistfuls of dice).
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

> Note that the Fast Hero articles weren't a comprehensive project. They
> were just a few articles I wrote offering suggestions to minimize
> typical HERO slowdowns (i.e., counting fistfuls of dice).
> --
> Bradd W. Szonye
> http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Well did you host them on your website?
Or will you? Might make it easier for people who want to refer to it?

Sidhain wrote:
> Well did you host them on your website? Or will you? Might make it
> easier for people who want to refer to it?

No, I didn't write up any Web pages. I only made a few suggestions, and
only one of the ended up being useful in play: limiting damage/effect
rolls to 3d6 + standard effects for any dice beyond 3.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.super-heroes (More info?)

Now I know this doesn't answer you directly about a list of changes I
know nothing about, but your problem is related to one I had....Bare in
mind this is by NO means a catch-all cure, simply something that broke
down a barrier for my group....

I had a bunch of strict D20ists and dug out my original Champions books
(I-III) and what was left of my hero 4th edition hard cover (long story
involving flood damage).

Now after much complaining and a test of the combat system they still
weren't impressed. When I pressed them, I finally found out that the
ONLY aspect they couldn't get their collective heads around was that
they needed a LOW number to hit.

Now why they could easily handle 14- rolls for everything else (skills
activation rolls, etc.), yet not attacking? Completely beyond me, but
then I looked at the die roll and realised it's just a very simple
equation, and one that can be creatively inverted.

So I came up with something which has a scary similarity to D20 (at
least to the first glance)
Attacker's Die Roll +OCV needs to get HIGHER than 10+Defender's DCV

e.g. Let's roll 3d6:
Roll =11, +OCV of Dashing Hero Person (8) gives a total attack score of 19.
The crook has a DCV of 6 so his defence is 10+6(DCV)=15, so the hero hit.

Now why choose 10?
18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11=(8)
3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10=(8)

Whether it works for your group, I can't say. Most of my group are
artistically inclined "Rules-Lawyer Busters" looking for ways to make
the gaming experience easier so they can get on with role playing. So
now we use the above system and they love rolling lots of dice for
damage. One described it as a fireball with every punch LOL

It's amazing how the direction of a formula can change conceptions ;)
Hope it helps

P.S. Oooh before I forget, they might be attached to classes (let's call
these archetypes), so make sure you have these on hand so they can be
boring and choose at the buffet:
Player: "I'll have the warrior and elf archetype, with a side order of
wizard apprentice."
Buffet Attendant: "OK, that's One Elven Warrior Mage to go! Would you
like to upsize the apprentice to a full wizard for better skill rolls?" ;)

--
Trent
Fantasyscifi - Find Aussie Gamers and Fans

"fantasyscifi" <email@fantasyscifi.com> wrote in message

> So I came up with something which has a scary similarity to D20 (at
> least to the first glance)
> Attacker's Die Roll +OCV needs to get HIGHER than 10+Defender's DCV
>
> e.g. Let's roll 3d6:
> Roll =11, +OCV of Dashing Hero Person (8) gives a total attack score of
19.
> The crook has a DCV of 6 so his defence is 10+6(DCV)=15, so the hero hit.
>
> Now why choose 10?
> 18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11=(8)
> 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10=(8)

11- is equivalent to 10+, and that should be 3d6+OCV equal to/greater than
10+DCV.

Flipping characteristic rolls is also easy; remember rolling under 9+stat/5?
Keep stat/5 as a "stat bonus" and add it to 3d6. Since 10+ is your average
roll and the bonus is 2 for average stats, your standard target number
becomes 12+ or "beat 12". Rolls that were a flat 11- become a flat +2
adder, and an 8- roll converts to a -1 adder.